HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:51 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Glad to hear you had good results, I can't wait to see this thing fly!! It does look big next to the F16. Hey is that a pair of 65% Lerx I see in your previous picture? I've cut the bottom off my nose section and fitted a big thick slice of blue foam ready for shaping. Also hoping to get the wire for the tip lights today, so I can progress the wing
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:55 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghelichopter View Post
what a great place you have to fly off the beach is just so cool , and makes for a great backdrop to your video

dave
Makes you sick, doesn't it??!!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
2nd test run, Joe.
VID_0006.mp4 (2 min 13 sec)
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Glad to hear you had good results, I can't wait to see this thing fly!! It does look big next to the F16. Hey is that a pair of 65% Lerx I see in your previous picture? I've cut the bottom off my nose section and fitted a big thick slice of blue foam ready for shaping. Also hoping to get the wire for the tip lights today, so I can progress the wing
Yes, after seeing your pics I thought it was great idea to enlarge the leading edge, this model is pretty heavy wing loaded with it's wing design so every extra sq. inch will help. Last night made up nose gear steering and epoxied the nose in place so now it's only few bits and pieces to hook up and she is ready for flying, Joe.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:17 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
The job is done, but very nose heavy. Empty weight is 910 grams, with 4S/3000/40C I got 1250. I have to make up same extension at the rear and sort out how much extra ballast to ad so it will balance at 115mm, Joe.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:22 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Great build Dave, really looking forward to see how it turns out. Btw whats going to happen to all those harriers youv'e got mothballed in the hanger now that they've been retired. Not scrapped i hope, perhaps Cameron might see sense and reverse his decision!!!

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:26 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
The job is done, but very nose heavy. Empty weight is 910 grams, with 4S/3000/40C I got 1250. I have to make up same extension at the rear and sort out how much extra ballast to ad so it will balance at 115mm, Joe.
Looking good Joe, have you got a maiden flight planned soon then?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:28 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy View Post
Great build Dave, really looking forward to see how it turns out. Btw whats going to happen to all those harriers youv'e got mothballed in the hanger now that they've been retired. Not scrapped i hope, perhaps Cameron might see sense and reverse his decision!!!

Phil
Thanks Phil, unfortunately it looks like our Harriers will be dismantled and the bits sold to the USA. They're still flying the Harrier II in AV-8B form and proving it can still do the job. They must be laughing their balls off at us.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:38 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Phil, unfortunately it looks like our Harriers will be dismantled and the bits sold to the USA. They're still flying the Harrier II in AV-8B form and proving it can still do the job. They must be laughing their balls off at us.
Shame, great aircraft. My dad was at Guttersloh with the GR3's. Will you still be in service when we get the JSf? Should have spend the money elsewhere in my opinion.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:22 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy View Post
Shame, great aircraft. My dad was at Guttersloh with the GR3's. Will you still be in service when we get the JSf? Should have spend the money elsewhere in my opinion.

Phil
No, I'm officially out of the RAF on the 30th Nov this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we never get the JSF, all our money went on the stupid pointless Eurobomber. If we'd just bought F16s from the Americans instead, we'd have saved billions. Also, what's with the A400M? America have lines and lines of Hercules that they would have practically given us, but no. Our government likes to do things the hard way as far as airpower is concerned!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Waking up during my sleep nightmare last night while losing the wing on my first flight made me this morn to install two additional self tappers to fit the main wing to the fuse. I feel that at higher speed it could easily rip off the body with the existing attachment. The only way to sort my CofG was to ad my good old probe.
As always, it's raining and windy again today and the rain should hang around for next 5-6 days, nothing new when I'm ready. I hope to run in today my new 3Ah packs inside the model on the street to wake up my neighbours, also to check the vertical thrust as fully complete model.
Great day to frame up my completed "Farewell Harrier" art work for the presentation at the Lake Russell Gallery at Emerald Beach next few days. Maiden will have to wait till then as I must have it still in one piece for promotional photos, Joe.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:07 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Few more figures after zooming up and down the street and the beach trying to put few cycles through my new batt. with fully complete model. I just noticed the recc. AUW is 650grams, must be the 50% chinese scales! At 1350 grams my model just manages to climb vertically from my hands so it is over one to one power to weight. As fully complete the current at full stick= 64amps/950watts using 4S/3000/40C. After first run at various throttle setting for 3min. it took 1200mA to recharge.
It works out some 320W/lb or 700W/kg, pretty good upgrade from park flier model at 40gram loading per dm2. My current wing loading is aprx. 80g/dm2, (26oz/foot2) which equals an ave. 2 meter pattern ship, tho not as forgiving being EDF pusher.
So it is all good news and will put it through it's paces next few days after this low clears out. Good luck to all your builds Guys, Joe.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:12 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Wow Joe, that looks awesome sitting there on the beach! Do you think the nozzles that you added made a difference to how much thrust it produces? Or is it just down to having a better fan and motor combination? With over 1:1 power, I bet it's going to fly just fine!!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Few more figures after zooming up and down the street and the beach trying to put few cycles through my new batt. with fully complete model. I just noticed the recc. AUW is 650grams, must be the 50% chinese scales! At 1350 grams my model just manages to climb vertically from my hands so it is over one to one power to weight. As fully complete the current at full stick= 64amps/950watts using 4S/3000/40C. After first run at various throttle setting for 3min. it took 1200mA to recharge.
It works out some 320W/lb or 700W/kg, pretty good upgrade from park flier model at 40gram loading per dm2. My current wing loading is aprx. 80g/dm2, (26oz/foot2) which equals an ave. 2 meter pattern ship, tho not as forgiving being EDF pusher.
So it is all good news and will put it through it's paces next few days after this low clears out. Good luck to all your builds Guys, Joe.
that looks great , ready for her first mission sub hunting

dave
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Wow Joe, that looks awesome sitting there on the beach! Do you think the nozzles that you added made a difference to how much thrust it produces? Or is it just down to having a better fan and motor combination? With over 1:1 power, I bet it's going to fly just fine!!
Dave, it is definitely nozzle exits pointing parallel along the fuse. 2W18 motor I used is only slightly higher 'kv' motor then in my other model using 2W20. I say 85% it's the new outlets, worth doing. Higher 'C' rating batteries and 10 gauge batt. leads all ad up, also in the weight. It is very wet here after raining all night so hoping tomorrow as I'm delivering the painting to the gallery today for the photo shoot. Regards Joseph.