SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:03 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Just wondering...

Would anyone think I was massively copping out if I built mine without the undercarriage? I've just been watching Joe 1320's video and even on 3s seems to fly really well. I'd love to fit retractable gear, but it would require 4 retract units, at least 3 servos, and 5 wheels! I just don't think the aircraft is capable of all the extra weight without going to an 80mm fan with lots more power. I think I'd rather get this one looking like a Harrier II but still as light as I can.
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:05 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Just wondering...

Would anyone think I was massively copping out if I built mine without the undercarriage? I've just been watching Joe 1320's video and even on 3s seems to fly really well. .
And keep in mind, mine is set up to also run a 4S pack if I want to. It would simply be a little more nose heavy. That video just shows what can be done if you build it light.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
And keep in mind, mine is set up to also run a 4S pack if I want to. It would simply be a little more nose heavy. That video just shows what can be done if you build it light.
What's it like on 4S then? Does it just produce more noise or does it actually go faster too?! Have you got any more video footage of yours?
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:42 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
What's it like on 4S then? Does it just produce more noise or does it actually go faster too?! Have you got any more video footage of yours?
More noise, a little more thrust for loops and such, but it's still speed challenged. This is a fat, draggy airframe. The only way you're going to get lots of speed with this bird is to strap it to side of a surface to air missle. the intakes are huge and the exhaust ducting isn't very effecient.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Just wondering...

Would anyone think I was massively copping out if I built mine without the undercarriage? I've just been watching Joe 1320's video and even on 3s seems to fly really well. I'd love to fit retractable gear, but it would require 4 retract units, at least 3 servos, and 5 wheels! I just don't think the aircraft is capable of all the extra weight without going to an 80mm fan with lots more power. I think I'd rather get this one looking like a Harrier II but still as light as I can.
Forget about retracts on this one! It wouldn't be worth the hassle and the extra weight, you better off just chuck it if you don't like fixed gear, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 09, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Adding few more things to my build, the wing is fully complete fitted with the l/gear nice and even with the mains. Next will be the nose gear to give it good positive angle of attack.
I had couple of flights today with my #1 model using the lighter 4S/2650 batt. and finding them not adequate for this set up. Next few days I'm going to check again how many amps it draws, I forgot since last time I did it. My vid. director John didn't show up today so I used my cap cam, being not very true as the the lens shows everything miles away, I wish our club looked like that in real. I'm downsizing the vid. loaded later on, Joe.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:21 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Hey, it's really starting to take shape now isn't it. Mine isn't progressing quite as quickly, but I did get some blue foam bits cut out and fitted. It now has new wing tips, reshaped and repositioned ventral fin, new tail cone(needs rounding off) and the Leading edge root extensions (Lerx).
Next job is to finish the wing with outrigger wheel fairings, ailerons/flaps and pylons. Flaps will not be operational, but still need to be reshaped.
The last job is the nose section, which is going to need some heavy duty reshaping, so I'm leaving that till last!!
For now, here's a few pics

Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
No yesterday's footage, lost it from Micro SD card while playing up with the adapter. I try to fly off the beach later today if cleared off stones after recent storm.
Putting finishing touches this week to "Farewell Harrier" art work, just finished the frame as on pic. so it will be ready for the gallery launch at the same time as my maiden, Joe.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:08 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Few more flights today at the club and the beach, video will follow shortly. After my 2nd. short footage I hooked up my E-flite meter to check it, batt. being 1/2 drained. Current draw was around 40amps/500Watts, on full stick, this is with my 70mm, HET fan/2W20/4S combo. I found, it really loads up my smaller capacity batteries 2650mA/25C, so I have to watch out my flight times no more then 3min. at various throttle settings.
After receiving the new fan/motor I had to do bit of work cutting out some foam and install larger ply formers to fit it further back to help with the CofG. Elevator was hooked up with final Rudder fin installation. The things are finally moving with ESC lead extensions and hook up next, also fitting in receiver at the rear compartment, Joe.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:50 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Few short demo flights today in magic conditions at the club and the beach, Joe.
VID_0001.mp4 (3 min 38 sec)

VID_0002.mp4 (3 min 28 sec)

VID_0004.mp4 (3 min 3 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:40 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Thanks for posting the videos Joe, they make me want to get mine in the air as soon as possible!! The new Harrier looks to be coming along nicely too.
I've got the flaps fitted to mine, and the aileron servos cut into the wing undercarriage pylons. I braced up the wing last night with a carbon tube, and it's solid as a rock now. I need to lay a couple of tiny wires in the wing before I fit all the pylons, this is to power a small wing tip led light. Once this is done, I can add the details, shape all the blue foam block bits and get some grey paint on!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:27 AM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
179 Posts
what a great place you have to fly off the beach is just so cool , and makes for a great backdrop to your video

dave
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Thanks Guys, sorry for the poor vid. quality, the cap cam is only good for very close up footage like helis or 3/D flying.
I have fully assembled the power unit, instead of Opto100 I went for the lighter 80Amp ESC with built in UBEC to minimize the AUW. Controller is being placed just in front of the fan unit for the best cooling. I cant wait to see the current draw and the Watts output while using my new exhaust nozzels. I hope it won't cook the motor, later today I going to do some test runs to see the figures, Joe.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:00 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Great news, this thing will fly and well surpass the park flier status. After installation of the new power unit I did couple of static tests using 4S/2650/25C- reading max. 720Watts/50amps but very quickly dropping down as these batteries are not adequate for this set up.
Next test I used 4S/4000/40C- which almost doubles the output of my current flying model, reading max. 980Watts/65amps and holding.
I'm going to use for flying this new set up slightly lighter 4S/3000/40C so the flying time will have to be watched out but obviously the thing will fly lot better at even 1/2 stick after seeing these new figures, so I'm more then pleased.
I did couple of short vid. clips while doing this test today, might loaded up later, Joe.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:42 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Video clip of the static test today, Joe.
VID_0005.mp4 (2 min 3 sec)