SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:50 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
Model tracked straight and took off wot around 25 yards, had to dial in some down elevator and aileron trim, did 3 circuits at 3/4 throttle and decided to land, first attempt aborted, second attempt she rolled and slammed sidewards into the runway, this plane is awsome, I blame myself and have ordered a new replacement airframe.
Ouch.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:23 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Oh man, what a shame! I suppose you're right though, for $50 it's not worth putting back together. Hey I don't know much about this little plane, and maybe the Joes can correct me, but that sounds like the cg was a bit far back. If it needed down elevator and was trying roll into the ground at low speeds, I've had that before with other planes and a little nose weight fixed it. In fact every GWS foamy I've ever flow I've set the cg as per the instructions and it's been a real handfull to fly. Moving the cg forward has fixed all of them. Remember, a nose heavy plane flies badly, a tail heavy plane flies once!
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Last edited by davylah; Oct 05, 2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
This is really messy job but a must for long lasting model, F/glass reinforcement. Guys, I strongly suggest to anyone building this model to put layer of cloth over the ply former just behind the AIL. control push-pull rods, unless you like to lose the wing during the flight! I'm doing all this extra work as my model will be lot heavier then the standard set up.
Just ordered few 40C, 4S3000mA batt. which I will move further back as I have removed the rear partition inside of cockpit so hopefully the CofG won't be a problem as with my #1 model, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:48 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
Model tracked straight and took off wot around 25 yards, had to dial in some down elevator and aileron trim, did 3 circuits at 3/4 throttle and decided to land, first attempt aborted, second attempt she rolled and slammed sidewards into the runway, this plane is awsome, I blame myself and have ordered a new replacement airframe.
Sorry to see that Glenn, but "S" happens. Any video of it? Joe.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:14 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Davy, good to see someone knows what he is doing. I had a bad dream last night, thinking what happens when both main gear tyres blow up as you mentioned on faster landings. How can those spindelly support wing gears support the weight of the plane as it must drop down considerably? Are the wheel rims badly damaged? One more question, on right wing tip is it yellow or green nav. light or flashing strobe??
Joe, I was looking back through a few pictures from the 'good old days' to show you. The outrigger undercarriage is much stronger than you might think, and has a much greater travel on it's shock absorber too. I even saw one of ours land with the main gear jammed in the retracted position. The pilot hovered it down VERY gently onto the nose and the 2 outriggers without any problems!

Here's a double wheel blow. Wheel rims seem to survive ok but will still have to go away and be x rayed for damage.

One of our jets got struck by lightning!

This is how we kept dry when it rained!!

Pushing a jet into the engine test house

Our Hangar on a good day

Our Hangar now

And to answer your question about the r/h wing tip light, it would be a constant green light.
Last edited by davylah; Oct 05, 2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:14 PM
Freedom Isn't Free
SE Okla
Joined Mar 2006
469 Posts
Would someone please post a good picture of where the CG should be. The instruction pictures that came with mine are way to dark to make out. Thank you.
Warningshot is offline Find More Posts by Warningshot
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Davy, really enjoying your pics and all the info.
Slowly working on mine, carefully sanding off all the little dimples inside air ducts and sealing it off with couple of coats for smoother finish. Also finishing the new nose and fishing out the best way to make the main double gear with minimal added weight.
My CG is set at 115mm from the front of the wing 'when removed', Joe.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:06 PM
Freedom Isn't Free
SE Okla
Joined Mar 2006
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Davy, really enjoying your pics and all the info.
Slowly working on mine, carefully sanding off all the little dimples inside air ducts and sealing it off with couple of coats for smoother finish. Also finishing the new nose and fishing out the best way to make the main double gear with minimal added weight.
My CG is set at 115mm from the front of the wing 'when removed', Joe.
Thanks. I will start at 115mm from front of wing.
Warningshot is offline Find More Posts by Warningshot
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:11 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Well....just checked with Hobbyking and my second Harrier has been shipped, hope I can keep this one flying for more than 4mins
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Painting of my fuselage is just about complete so the real building can finally commence starting early next week with servo and landing gear installation. This weekend I'm hoping to complete my painting while at the same time working on the conservation mount featuring originally painted 1969-2010 Anniversary logo as a presentation. Joe.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Today made up ply wood platform to fit the main landing gear, Joe.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:49 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Looking good Joe, what size wheels did you use for the mains? Can we see your modified nose cone please? I noticed it in the first picture with the FLIR camera and Zeus covers on. Is it all carved foam? I should get my blue foam today, and tonight maybe get on with building the wing up. I'm looking forward to making the flaps and ailerons as the wing will really start to become the right shape once they're fitted.

Glenn, Good luck with the next jet. Was there anything worth keeping from the last one, or was it confetti?
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:35 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Looking good Joe, what size wheels did you use for the mains? Can we see your modified nose cone please? I noticed it in the first picture with the FLIR camera and Zeus covers on. Is it all carved foam? I should get my blue foam today, and tonight maybe get on with building the wing up. I'm looking forward to making the flaps and ailerons as the wing will really start to become the right shape once they're fitted.

Glenn, Good luck with the next jet. Was there anything worth keeping from the last one, or was it confetti?
Hi Davy, for the mains I picked up the lightest wheels I could find at 45mm and I use very light ones as wing support at 30mm OD. Yes I used foam block to shape up more rounded nose cone, covered with light putty later sanded to smooth finish. Using all sorts of balsa shapes to make up close enough details, currently making up 4 extra pylons under the wings out of depron. I'm using some of your terrific shots to replicate some details but also lot of my license! On Mon. I expect new power unit so I'll do some internal work, Joe.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:36 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Excellent work! Well the postman just dropped off my blue foam, so I cut out the 2 wing tip extensions and the flaps. I've fitted the tips, and might get round to doing some more work on it tonight.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:54 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Nice work!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello