HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Thanks guys, couple of things, as mentioned befor the two rear elevator tubes are curled at both ends, I'll try to straighten them but should be easy to replace, one other thing is the front LG, I'll replace that with a spare E Flight P-38 wire, seems stronger. Just remembered I need to change the supplied esc battery plug to Deans.
Glenn.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Last edited by wellington53; Sep 29, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:03 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
I ripped out those control tunes and replaced them. Turns out they were kinked inside the fuse as well, no amount of messing with them resulted in free movement.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
In Poland? Well I'll admit, I had to Google it!! It looks beautifull, do you still live there? I don't know why, but I thought you were in the USA now?
Thanks for posting pictures of your build, it's very helpfull to see someone who's building their 2nd Harrier with modifications. I think the deflector nozzles you've made should do the trick.
Did you mention you were inspired by my picture? The one I posted is unarmed and just has 2 x 'Big Jugs' (2000lb external tanks) on the inboard pylons, and a chaff launcher on the outrigger pylons. If you need any advice on detailing, I'm your man!
You were close, just across the border in Slovakia-Stary Smokovec. Now enjoying life Down Under. Yes, I love the pic you posted, reminds me of AUA-Austrian Airlines "Caravelle" with that tail coloring. I spent days wagging the school as early teenager watching the Caravelle doing non-stop touch & go training while being hidden in the 3' long grass at the edge of the runway at Bratislava airport in late '60s. I was wondering, does "Harrier" land as a conventional plane as well? Thanks for your offer, I'm not really a scale man as such, I rather use my imagination to decorate mine but your pic definitely gave me an inspiration, looks great. I'm doing the cast today out of my nozzel plug, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Few more flights today including "Harrier" in very strong cross wind, not the most enjoyable flying but still in one piece, so I'm back at work putting down the first layer of fibreglass to make nozzels, Joe.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:58 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
You were close, just across the border in Slovakia-Stary Smokovec. Now enjoying life Down Under. Yes, I love the pic you posted, reminds me of AUA-Austrian Airlines "Caravelle" with that tail coloring. I spent days wagging the school as early teenager watching the Caravelle doing non-stop touch & go training while being hidden in the 3' long grass at the edge of the runway at Bratislava airport in late '60s. I was wondering, does "Harrier" land as a conventional plane as well? Thanks for your offer, I'm not really a scale man as such, I rather use my imagination to decorate mine but your pic definitely gave me an inspiration, looks great. I'm doing the cast today out of my nozzel plug, Joe.
I see what you mean!

I can't wait to hear the results of your modified nozzles. Apparently my Harrier is curently with UK Customs, and Royal Mail couldn't tell me how long it would be untill they released it I guess I'll just have to wait.

Our Harriers at Cottesmore would usually take off and land conventionally, unless their mission required VTOL, such as air testing, hover performance checks, hover practice, or display. It uses Massive ammounts of fuel, as you can imagine, and involves running the engine at near max power without any cooling airflow.
A normal landing for a Harrier would involve a fairly slow approach (by fast jet standards) with a little bit of nozzle, touchdown, then nozzles to 'braking' which is slightly past vertical and enough throttle to slow the aircraft down without lifting off again. Harrier brakes are pretty rubbish and it wasn't un common to hear one land and then a double boom as the pilot stood on the brakes too hard and burst both tyres! From what I hear, the brakes were very sensitive with a 'light' jet, once all fuel was used so they prefer to use nozzles during roll out.

It looks great when the runway is wet!!!

davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:28 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Here's what I've done so far.

In case any one is wondering I did write to Dave who kindly said it's OK so not to hyjack this thread,

This plane to me is well made for the money, also, beggars cannot be choosers so to speak as there are no other manufacturer's that make this parkflyer model,

From what video's I've seen the plane flys nice so I'm looking forward to finishing off this bird and find out myself.
Last edited by wellington53; Sep 30, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
I see what you mean!

I can't wait to hear the results of your modified nozzles. Apparently my Harrier is curently with UK Customs, and Royal Mail couldn't tell me how long it would be untill they released it I guess I'll just have to wait.

Our Harriers at Cottesmore would usually take off and land conventionally, unless their mission required VTOL, such as air testing, hover performance checks, hover practice, or display. It uses Massive ammounts of fuel, as you can imagine, and involves running the engine at near max power without any cooling airflow.
A normal landing for a Harrier would involve a fairly slow approach (by fast jet standards) with a little bit of nozzle, touchdown, then nozzles to 'braking' which is slightly past vertical and enough throttle to slow the aircraft down without lifting off again. Harrier brakes are pretty rubbish and it wasn't un common to hear one land and then a double boom as the pilot stood on the brakes too hard and burst both tyres! From what I hear, the brakes were very sensitive with a 'light' jet, once all fuel was used so they prefer to use nozzles during roll out.

It looks great when the runway is wet!!!

Great info but you still didn't answer my question, could it land as normal jet landing speed, lets say "F-18" I only guess 200+km/h? Nice pic of "Caravelle" got goose bums seeing it after all these years.
You gave me new inspiration, I'm going to make a painting using that misty "Harrier" shot but I'll create sunset scene through that mist. Will be difficult subject to sell but this time I do it for love of it. Joe.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
In case any one is wondering I did write to Dave who kindly said it's OK so not to hyjack this thread,

This plane to me is well made for the money, also, beggars cannot be choosers so to speak as there are no other manufacturer's that make this parkflyer model,

From what video's I've seen the plane flys nice so I'm looking forward to finishing off this bird and find out myself.
I'm sorry but with that ill. EL/ hook up you won't be flying your model very long!
Check the pic. post#40, also, EL. hinges are not good enough, Joe.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:59 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
I'm sorry but with that ill. EL/ hook up you won't be flying your model very long!
Check the pic. post#40, also, EL. hinges are not good enough, Joe.
Hi Joe, I looked over the hinges on my plane and they are strong, I gave them a good tug to see if they would move but they are good.
Glenn.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
Hi Joe, I looked over the hinges on my plane and they are strong, I gave them a good tug to see if they would move but they are good.
Glenn.
Hi Glen, the trouble is that after few flights the push rod controls will make them very sloppy in that area. Mine basically pulled out after couple of flights. While using 30min thinned down epoxy I have applied some coating to the foam and later carefully reinforced them using good quality 2" tape as addition, Joe.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Davy, I like to ask you what lights are on "Harrier" and where positioned on starboard wing tip. I like to put all the lights on in my painting as I like to create special reflection effect on the wet pavement, Joe.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
New nozzels are well epoxied to the fuselage and after some good sand paper rub through out the whole model I'm starting to repaint the whole thing by hand, hoping to mix the perfect match to go around the pre-painted details.
Guys, I don't know much about the full size Harriers but is it a downward jet exhaust stream on the tip of starboard wing in above pic ???, Joe.
Last edited by jofro; Oct 02, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 04:54 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Davy, I like to ask you what lights are on "Harrier" and where positioned on starboard wing tip. I like to put all the lights on in my painting as I like to create special reflection effect on the wet pavement, Joe.
Hi Joe, looks like you're getting on great with the new Harrier. I love the tail fin!

This picture shows the wig tip light on the UK Harrier, it's the green lens. Obviously this is the left hand side, but the right hand side looks the same. Apart from that, it has a big landing light on the nose leg, a little one just above it that they never use, top strobe is on top of the wings, just visible behind the black fin aerial in the other picture. The bottom strobe would not be visable from the front as it's behind the main u/c leg and in front of the airbrake. Good luck with your painting.
PS, Yes the Harrier can land completely conventionally, but the last time I saw one do it was after a bird strike and it blew both tyres on landing. I had to go and drag it off with the tug with 2 burst tyres!!
Old Oct 02, 2011, 05:03 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Guys, I don't know much about the full size Harriers but is it a downward jet exhaust stream on the tip of starboard wing in above pic ???, Joe.
Joe, as in the pic I posted the reaction control shutter in the wing tip can blast up or down, depending on which way the ailerons are moved. They only become pressurised once the nozzles are selected down but are mechanically connected to the ailerons so would move any time the ailerons moved. On landing, even with nozzles all the way to braking there would be no visable jet blast though, unless the pilot was fighting an extreme cross wind and had a significant aileron input in.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Hi Joe, looks like you're getting on great with the new Harrier. I love the tail fin!

This picture shows the wig tip light on the UK Harrier, it's the green lens. Obviously this is the left hand side, but the right hand side looks the same. Apart from that, it has a big landing light on the nose leg, a little one just above it that they never use, top strobe is on top of the wings, just visible behind the black fin aerial in the other picture. The bottom strobe would not be visable from the front as it's behind the main u/c leg and in front of the airbrake. Good luck with your painting.
PS, Yes the Harrier can land completely conventionally, but the last time I saw one do it was after a bird strike and it blew both tyres on landing. I had to go and drag it off with the tug with 2 burst tyres!!
Davy, many thanks, great detail shot, that plane must have done some millage, looks worn-out! When you really look close in your "misty" pic, is it the blast of jet stream down through the water mist from that tip nozzel?? (it looks like it to me). Detail like that could be quite affective to feature in the painting. From your detail top view it shows the rotating tip nozzel, is there same opening on the bottom of the wing?? BTW, I got no idea which is what, light-wise on that wing tip, could you please point more info? What's that black bulge? and small ball just in front? I'm just a keen modeler!
Good news, I just won this weekend "Bellingen Art Prize" for the best painting with my latest landscape "Morning light" oil on linen, enc. pic., Regards Joe.