HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:29 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
According to the parcel tracking website, my Harrier has just landed at Heathrow. Hopefully the next flight it makes will be under it's own power!
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Nice one, I hope it comes when the Mrs is out! She's starting to get annoyed as I've currently got 2x GWS Cargotrans, 2x GWS Beavers GWS Islander, GWS Spitfire, Tony Nijhuis Mosquito, Robbe Airliner and a Trex 450 dressed up as a Westland Lynx! I've also got another GWS Spit and an ME109 unbuilt in the shed so I probably didn't need another plane. At least that's how she'll se it!

thats quite a fleet , have i seen your lynx on another forum ?

keep us posted with your build , i fancy having a go at a harrier myself

dave
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I'm trying to contact Stu to find out what battery option I would have while using his new 80mm fan. It is really 6+S option which could make this one slight too heavy! There is possibility to open up the cockpit to move batt. further back but firstly I decided to make a foam plugs to mould new fibreglass nozzels that will direct my exhaust paraller along the fuse rearward. This second model I will fancy up with more details and gadgets so I expect AUW around 1.5 kg with lot more power output, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:51 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghelichopter View Post
thats quite a fleet , have i seen your lynx on another forum ?

keep us posted with your build , i fancy having a go at a harrier myself

dave
Glad you like the picture, you probably saw my Lynx over in the scale helis section:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349288

Get one of these Guanli Harriers on order and have a go. What kind of Harrier were you thinking of doing? Mine's got to be GR9 - ZG477. It's the first one I ever worked on, back when it was a GR7, and one of the last ones I saw flying on the disbandment day.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:03 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
I'm trying to contact Stu to find out what battery option I would have while using his new 80mm fan. It is really 6+S option which could make this one slight too heavy! There is possibility to open up the cockpit to move batt. further back but firstly I decided to make a foam plugs to mould new fibreglass nozzels that will direct my exhaust paraller along the fuse rearward. This second model I will fancy up with more details and gadgets so I expect AUW around 1.5 kg with lot more power output, Joe.
If 80mm will make it too heavy, maybe it is best to make the 70mm fan more efficient after all. The E-flite Delta 15, claims nearly 1300g of static thrust on 4S, which I imagine is plenty as long it is all being directed rearwards!!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I just ordered couple of 3" fans from HK, one alloy claiming up to 2Kw so I will experiment with various motors and rotors after I mould new nozzels.
Talking about "LYNX" this is one of my larger 9' long model with 160 Twin Gemini, sounds like "HD", pretty heavy at 11kg, like to sell it, lost interest in helicopters, Joe.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,271 Posts
While trying to decide what to power this with I Put some blue Testors on some of the black areas. The elevator pushrod tubes are really curved, stiff and brittle. Looks like the factory workers didn't locate them right. I am thinking about putting 2 elev servos in the back to minimize the nose heavyness. Maybe rudder too. My choices are a 400W, 500W, or 600Watt cheapo 4s systems that I have on hand. It's a big bird!
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:50 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
I just ordered couple of 3" fans from HK, one alloy claiming up to 2Kw so I will experiment with various motors and rotors after I mould new nozzels.
Talking about "LYNX" this is one of my larger 9' long model with 160 Twin Gemini, sounds like "HD", pretty heavy at 11kg, like to sell it, lost interest in helicopters, Joe.
That Lynx is awesome. I remember you posting it on the 'Scale Helis' section. It's my all time dream Heli - the Len Mount Lynx. I'd only manage one of those if I won the lottery though. I got to fly in a full size one not long ago, and they are a truly amazing helicopter. It was like being on the best roller-coaster in the world but multiplied by a million!!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:52 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
While trying to decide what to power this with I Put some blue Testors on some of the black areas. The elevator pushrod tubes are really curved, stiff and brittle. Looks like the factory workers didn't locate them right. I am thinking about putting 2 elev servos in the back to minimize the nose heavyness. Maybe rudder too. My choices are a 400W, 500W, or 600Watt cheapo 4s systems that I have on hand. It's a big bird!
Yeah I got the impression this wasn't a particularly well put together plane. I only really wanted the bare airframe and would have prefered it unpainted too. Have you thought of making a fully moving tailplane? I just wonder how reliable it would be and if you'd need pretty sturdy servos.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Hi Guys, those guiding push rod tubes easily straiten by heating up using heat gun, cut them shorter and support with ply former as shown on pic. I also recommend to re-hinge all controls, model will not last long using the stock hinges!!! There are lot of these models flying as a stock hand launching park flier but it can be easily upgraded into really nice performance EDF jet with some loving care, Joe.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,271 Posts
I will just keep the elevators as is intead of doing an full moving stab. Those can be problematic unless well engineered. Freewing jets are a good example of stabs that could fail in flight. And have...lucky to get it down. Yes the Guanli Harrier seems to be from the stone age of foamy EDFs. I would like to see a big one with twin 90mm fans front and back.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
That Lynx is awesome. I remember you posting it on the 'Scale Helis' section. It's my all time dream Heli - the Len Mount Lynx. I'd only manage one of those if I won the lottery though. I got to fly in a full size one not long ago, and they are a truly amazing helicopter. It was like being on the best roller-coaster in the world but multiplied by a million!!
Thanks for the Compl. BTW you can have mine but the crate would have to be 3 meters long to fit it in. Hate to think about the shipping cost to UK. Before I completed this model I installed all mech. onto 4X2 inch timber crate frame and did dozens of test flights as such to make sure the "Gemini" was good enough to power it. It was the ugliest flying monster you have seen but flew great at 11 kg AUW. I used S/H car speedo cable to drive tail/r. because supplied 4mm cable would put another kilo+, Joe.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:22 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
Yes the Guanli Harrier seems to be from the stone age of foamy EDFs.
Oh dear, what did I just buy? Hope it will stand up to my abuse I've done a fair amount of reading on it and no one says anything about it being fradgile, Thoughts?
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:51 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you go look at Ron's preview of the Stumax 80mm fan, I believe he says there are two options............a 4-6S version and a 6-8S version. should be able to work with the Harrier. can't wait to hear that video if you go with the Stu fan. should sound neat in the Harrier fuse.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:29 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
Oh dear, what did I just buy? Hope it will stand up to my abuse I've done a fair amount of reading on it and no one says anything about it being fradgile, Thoughts?
It is a great model, but just like any foamy it needs few little mods. On other hand what do you expect for $45- I think that's what I have seen it selling for on HK site. Last two years I have done well over 100 flights with mine and there is still not one dint on it, Joe.