HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:32 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Short demo flight today, I'm just realizing how sluggish this model is after mainly flying now days powerful 90mm, 8-12S set ups, but still enjoyable on calmer days, Joe.
Thanks man! Looking at your video, it may seem slow if you're used to super fast edfs, but it looks like a really nice scale speed. I can't wait till mine arrives and I can get on building. It's been too long since I saw that familliar shape in the sky!!
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:54 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghelichopter View Post
around 10 days , great looking project

dave
Nice one, I hope it comes when the Mrs is out! She's starting to get annoyed as I've currently got 2x GWS Cargotrans, 2x GWS Beavers GWS Islander, GWS Spitfire, Tony Nijhuis Mosquito, Robbe Airliner and a Trex 450 dressed up as a Westland Lynx! I've also got another GWS Spit and an ME109 unbuilt in the shed so I probably didn't need another plane. At least that's how she'll se it!

Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Thanks man! Looking at your video, it may seem slow if you're used to super fast edfs, but it looks like a really nice scale speed. I can't wait till mine arrives and I can get on building. It's been too long since I saw that familliar shape in the sky!!
Yes, you hit the nail there, this one flies very realistic scale speed but it's good idea to smooth out both air outlet nozzels and use good 4S power set up, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:23 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Yeah, I may even re-work the nozzles a bit, to duct the air rearwards once it's out of the fuselage. Anyway, I now have a spare slot on my transmitter for the Harrier after I lost the Mosquito into a tree. It's so high up and I had to walk down a small river to get near it. I'll go back and have another go tomorrow, but by then the battery will be fully discharged so will need replacing.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:28 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you hit the nail there, this one flies very realistic scale speed but it's good idea to smooth out both air outlet nozzels and use good 4S power set up, Joe.
Hey Joe,
I'm just wondering if you can tell me a few details about your Harrier? What is the auw, fan unit, motor and battery? I'm considering opening mine out to 80mm for a bit more power, especially since mine is going to be a bit on the heavy side!!
Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Hey Joe,
I'm just wondering if you can tell me a few details about your Harrier? What is the auw, fan unit, motor and battery? I'm considering opening mine out to 80mm for a bit more power, especially since mine is going to be a bit on the heavy side!!
Thanks
Hi, DRY weight of mine is 825grams, inc. some 50g at rear to help with being very nose heavy as I'm using larger batteries. Fitted with 70mm HET fan/Tayphoon20W20 motor and 80A ESC. This set up pulls lot of amps on full stick giving me only max. 3min of flying, maybe 2-2.5 min. if full stick used all the time. I have on few occasions drained the batt. very low motor cutting out. I use 3300ma 4cell packs but my last featured video I used for the first time smaller 4S2650. With 3300 it is extremely nose heavy, I have to hold the full EL. during turns as it wants to nose dive. Number of times got away with the murder.
I was hoping to fit in my still boxed model 90mm but it won't work, so 80mm might be the way to go but there will be always some batt. position issue as it can't be moved further back, Joe.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:16 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Hi, DRY weight of mine is 825grams, inc. some 50g at rear to help with being very nose heavy as I'm using larger batteries. Fitted with 70mm HET fan/Tayphoon20W20 motor and 80A ESC. This set up pulls lot of amps on full stick giving me only max. 3min of flying, maybe 2-2.5 min. if full stick used all the time. I have on few occasions drained the batt. very low motor cutting out. I use 3300ma 4cell packs but my last featured video I used for the first time smaller 4S2650. With 3300 it is extremely nose heavy, I have to hold the full EL. during turns as it wants to nose dive. Number of times got away with the murder.
I was hoping to fit in my still boxed model 90mm but it won't work, so 80mm might be the way to go but there will be always some batt. position issue as it can't be moved further back, Joe.
Wow, that is pretty light!! I was thinking it would be around the 1kg mark. Thanks for the info, I might see if there is some way I can rework the area just in front of the fan to fit the battery. I'll also keep in mind the cg issue when I'm building, and try and fit stuff to the rear if possible. I'm going to fit a separate battery for the lights, so I'll use it as ballast too.
I checked on my order from HobbyKing and it's just left Hong Kong for the UK
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
There is this new "Stumax" 80mm fan I'm reading about, after I get some measurements of it, if it fits I like to build another one I got in the box to lot higher standard. This time I will also re-modify the nozzels to get more efficient thrust, Joe.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:56 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
There is this new "Stumax" 80mm fan I'm reading about, after I get some measurements of it, if it fits I like to build another one I got in the box to lot higher standard. This time I will also re-modify the nozzels to get more efficient thrust, Joe.
I'll check it out. Yeah I was thinking of making a proper bifurcated duct that turns rearwards once it's out of the fuselage, or fitting some kind of curved slats to force the air rearwards. It looks to me like the air currently exits the fuselage diagonally, which can't be too good for efficiency
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:23 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
I checked on my order from HobbyKing and it's just left Hong Kong for the UK
Hey davy, Mine is on it's way too! I noticed you are from Northern England, I used to live in Lincolnshire were the skies were never quiet from milatary jets ranging from the Vulcan to A-10's, what was really impressive though was 6-8 Herc's flying low and in a line one after the other.
Glenn.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:55 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,486 Posts
Do yourself a favor guys, the airframe is fat and draggy..... you will not get appreciable speed out of this. Around 900 watts only gave it more thrust, no more speed. Your best bet is to build it as light as possible with no more than a 2300 mAh 40C lipo. more than that and you'll be fighting a nose heavy, run out of elevator on slow approach condition. Been there already.

Mine is at 825g AUW with a 2150 mah Lipo. Even then, it comes down a little more rapid on dead stick than I like but that's the effect of all that drag.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Do yourself a favor guys, the airframe is fat and draggy..... you will not get appreciable speed out of this. Around 900 watts only gave it more thrust, no more speed. Your best bet is to build it as light as possible with no more than a 2300 mAh 40C lipo. more than that and you'll be fighting a nose heavy, run out of elevator on slow approach condition. Been there already.

Mine is at 825g AUW with a 2150 mah Lipo. Even then, it comes down a little more rapid on dead stick than I like but that's the effect of all that drag.
Sounds like wise words!! Thanks for the advice.

Hey I was wondering what you guys thought of using 2 smaller fan units mounted one each side, in the rear nozzle area? If they were facing straight backwards, and gave a total thrust of around 1kg that should work? Then you could mount the battery where the single fan unit would have been, aleviating cg issues maybe? Just a thought...
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:31 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
Hey davy, Mine is on it's way too! I noticed you are from Northern England, I used to live in Lincolnshire were the skies were never quiet from milatary jets ranging from the Vulcan to A-10's, what was really impressive though was 6-8 Herc's flying low and in a line one after the other.
Glenn.
Hi Glenn, were you in the Airforce? I used to be very near to Lincolnshire when I was on Harriers at Cottesmore. Feel free to post pics and stuff here if you get yours before I do
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:15 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Hi Glenn, were you in the Airforce? I used to be very near to Lincolnshire when I was on Harriers at Cottesmore. Feel free to post pics and stuff here if you get yours before I do
Sorry davy no I was not in the Airforce but am in the next best thing which is dairy farming like we are doing here in the US, Here in Wisconsin the skies are quiet eccept for the odd Cessna.
I will certanly post pictures of the Harrier which I forgot to say is the version with servo's and motor ect,
Glenn.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Last edited by wellington53; Sep 23, 2011 at 06:52 PM.