SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:46 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Jo and Davy, spent the morning procrastinating at work and readying through this thread.

Loved the Harrier as a Jet ever since seeing them in the Arnie Movie True Lies.

I have only 3 words to say to both of you.

Bloody Brilliant Work!
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:33 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Any news dave, hows the nose section conversion going?

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:35 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Jo and Davy, spent the morning procrastinating at work and readying through this thread.

Loved the Harrier as a Jet ever since seeing them in the Arnie Movie True Lies.

I have only 3 words to say to both of you.

Bloody Brilliant Work!
Thanks dude! Well I've finally got some paint on, and decided to go for the 2 tone GR7A scheme rather than the all over light grey on the GR9. I've put the darker grey on the top half, and just need to sand the side seam down before I put the lighter grey on the bottom. I'm now going to be modelling ZD404 - 'Lucy' It was one of the first Op Telic jets, and was signed by Lucy Pinder underneath a sillouette of her fine figure. Modern rules prevent us from 'traditional' nose art when fliying over a Muslim country, so the best we could do was a sillouette.

davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:40 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Dave that is looking grrrreat.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:28 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
OMG! That is some awesome work to make it the Harrier II!

I have the kit also. When I opened the box, the outline disgust me, therefore it sat in the corner of my office for about a year now...

but just seeing what you guys have done, I will make this one of my winter projects!
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:19 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaticus View Post
OMG! That is some awesome work to make it the Harrier II!

I have the kit also. When I opened the box, the outline disgust me, therefore it sat in the corner of my office for about a year now...

but just seeing what you guys have done, I will make this one of my winter projects!
Haha, yeah there's bits of it that don't even resemble the Sea Harrier on which it is based. I don't understand why the tail overhangs the rear of the fuselage so much. I've cut mine up and replaced the ventral fin so it all lines up properly. Look forward to seeing yours. Hey you could do the Nalls Aviation SHAR that now flies in the USA or maybe a US Marine AV8-B?!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:47 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Most likely the AV-8B. I'll start on it at the end of December. I'll put the pics on this thread!

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:29 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaticus View Post
Most likely the AV-8B. I'll start on it at the end of December. I'll put the pics on this thread!

Dave
That would be cool. How likely are you to see a real Harrier in the USA now? I miss the sound and the sight ours, I guess I'll be the only person with a flying GR7A in the UK soon! Definitely post some pics of your build here, I'd like this to become a definitive guide to the Guanli Harrier and it's home made variants.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Short video clip yesterday flying at the beach, but camera batt. went flat as always the wrong time, Joe.
VID_0007.mp4 (0 min 43 sec)
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:18 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Nice to see your Harrier up in the air again, after its little mishap!!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Nice to see your Harrier up in the air again, after its little mishap!!
Yes, great to be back in the sky, both of these models were badly pranged last 2 weeks but my best friend epoxy did the job.
Had few flights with Harrier since, in strong wind that I wouldn't dare to fly my stock exhaust version one but this one is totally different model, Joe.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:13 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Wow, that jet is a beast! Does it fly well? Here are some pics of the nose section, showing Flir camera fairing on top, and zeus 'tusks' underneath.

Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Doing nice scale job, BTW, what are you using to seal off your blue foam before painting? And what you making the new canopy from?
Talking about 'beasts', this one is more like it slightly larger. They fly fantastic like on rails but the only issue is if landing in the strong cross wind, J.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:02 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Hi Joe, I've always just rubbed the foam down and painted straight onto it. The paint soaks in a bit, but I usually just rub it down once it's dried and put another coat on and it's fine. The new canopy is made from the original one, cut down to shape, and the windscreen made from a coke bottle heated and pulled over a laminated balsa mould.

Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:15 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
A fellow modeler sold me one of these as he said his wife didn't like it. Checking it over I see the problem that other guys with this plane were having with too much drag with the elev pushrods. No real neutral. I see why when I pulled the plastic tubes out. Way too tight of S bends in the tubes. No wonder. I drilled a straight through hole for a straighter run but still too much drag in the tubes. After researching the real Harrier, I see it has a flying stab. Having built a few of these before I'll go with that. Nice lightweight model for its size otherwise.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2