HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Well, all the excitement is gone, have to start on some new project.
Had couple of flights today, taking it easy on my new batteries each flight kept to 2min. Huge difference in power, I guess some 40% improvement also in speed. My maiden was bit of a roller coaster having too much travel on both AIL and EL, so next flight I reduced it a bit with better results but still needs reduction as the model is lot faster and more responsive. Each flight consumed only 1200mA so with throttle management I will get 4min. flight times. It is real EDF to fly now so I'm going to make new nozzels for my #one model as well, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:44 AM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
nice one , congrats on the maiden flights . model and painting look great
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:51 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Congratulatios man! I'm glad all went well with the maiden flight. I know what it's like when you realise your rates are up to high. I'm definitely going to do the nozzle mod to mine. I've started work on the nose section of mine, going to get in touch with someone about having a new canopy made up for it.

PS The painting looks amazing Joe, could we have a closer look at it please?
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:14 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Thanks both of you Guys, Davy, you want to be picky now wanting to see the painting closer! Next few days I make a new Thread just to show it off closer. I get my Darl. tomorrow to load up the maiden video, bit of a handful with all the travel mainly AIL. Cheers Joe.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:16 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Thanks both of you Guys, Davy, you want to be picky now wanting to see the painting closer! Next few days I make a new Thread just to show it off closer. I get my Darl. tomorrow to load up the maiden video, bit of a handful with all the travel mainly AIL. Cheers Joe.
Haha, not at all. It looks amazing from the pic you posted, I'm sure it's just as good close up. I can't belive how quickly your model and painting were completed. I have 2 little girls that take up most of my time at the moment, so my planes progress a bit slower than they used to!! It's a good excuse to have a couple of little park fliers though!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:08 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Maiden flight yesterday, bit of a handful having too much of travel on both AIL and EL, Joe.
P1020873.mp4 (2 min 25 sec)

P1020874.mp4 (2 min 6 sec)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:53 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Good work Joe, it looks great in the air! What's the next challenge then, VTOL?!!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Good work Joe, it looks great in the air! What's the next challenge then, VTOL?!!
Thanks Dave, as you can see it is definitely different model to my very marginal #one, mind you I was pretty easy on my throttle those two flights. Next challenge?, it's 3 meters long, depron foamy, PST600R power and guild with 24kt. It will shine in sunlight, I'll have it ready for July's jet meet in Maryborough, Joe. (enc. pic for you)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:54 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Thanks Dave, as you can see it is definitely different model to my very marginal #one, mind you I was pretty easy on my throttle those two flights. Next challenge?, it's 3 meters long, depron foamy, PST600R power and guild with 24kt. It will shine in sunlight, I'll have it ready for July's jet meet in Maryborough, Joe. (enc. pic for you)
Joe, I absolutely LOVE the Harrier painting. You've really captured the mist and spray effects - Awesome!

I like the sound of a gold plane, I'll keep a lookout for that one!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
177 Posts
great painting , great plane , what else can i say

maybe ....like to see more flying at the beach

dave
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:06 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Here's a couple of pics to show the progression in the wing. I've fitted the (non operational) flaps, carbon wing spar, outrigger undercarriage fairings and ailerons. The aileron servos sit nicely inside the undercarriage fairings. Not sure whether to do a full pylon fit now, or wait till after test flight.
I've also started work on reshaping the lower nose section and nose cone.

Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:50 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Took both Harriers out today for a flight to compare the video. Only the third flight with the new one after more reduction in AIL. travel but bringing down D/R to only 35% it's still too much so I have to red. servo arm radius instead.
I made an "A" of myself landing purposely down wind due to the strong sun glare on left approach, came down like a bullet snapping model in half at the very weak spot.
I suggest to you guys to epoxy small ply former as on pic for the rear wing part to slit under. That foam rebate is only some 3-4 mm thick. This breakage probably would not occur without my centre main gear and the additional aft weight which really put lot of load to the pretty weak middle fuse section. Total carelessness, landing on my part again!
Joe.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:52 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
This is my 4th flight today after repair and dramatic reduction of AIL. travel, lot nicer to fly.
Compare the performance of the second vid. of more sluggish #one model, Joe.
P1020882.mp4 (3 min 22 sec)

P1020883.mp4 (2 min 34 sec)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:58 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Hi Joe,
That's some great footage! Now we see the 2 different jets together, it's easy to see how much faster the new one is. I bet you were gutted with the crash? Well mine now has the first set of pylons fitted to the wing, I just need to slot the wing for the aileron servo wires and it can be painted. I've also carved up the nose cone and stuck the 'hump' on top. On the real one, it contains the forward looking infra red camera or Flir
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Hi Joe,
That's some great footage! Now we see the 2 different jets together, it's easy to see how much faster the new one is. I bet you were gutted with the crash? Well mine now has the first set of pylons fitted to the wing, I just need to slot the wing for the aileron servo wires and it can be painted. I've also carved up the nose cone and stuck the 'hump' on top. On the real one, it contains the forward looking infra red camera or Flir
Hi Davy, You doing great job, it will be good to see one, done up in the true scale manner. I'm little worried about your c/f tube joint in the centre, I suggest also fill up some 2/3 length of that cavity at the wing root as well, that's real weakness.
I was definitely cheesed off with my down wind landing, it doesn't take much to stuff up in this hobby! But then again, I wouldn't give airworthy ticket to any model that can't take off or land down wind!, Joe.