HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:50 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Build Log
Harrier GR9 (Turned into a GR7A during build!)

Ok, the time has come. I've ordered a bare airframe of the Guanli Sea Harrier and have decided to convert it to an RAF Harrier GR9. I've seen so many people try and fail to make a vtol Harrier so decided to go down the 'scale' route instead. I'm planning to re-shape and extend the wingtips, along with adding bigger flaps. I'll fit the correct wing undercarriage and pylons, then move on to re-shaping the nose cone. The picture below shows how similar the 2 aircraft's outlines are, with the area forward of the intakes being most obviously different.

davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Last edited by davylah; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:32 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,597 Posts
Great idea, I've got the Guanli Harrier sitting in a box for a rainy day, thinking of doing it up in a Falklands War scheme
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
Great idea, I've got the Guanli Harrier sitting in a box for a rainy day, thinking of doing it up in a Falklands War scheme
That would be cool. I really think Guanli has missed a trick by producing the Sea Harrier, rather than the Harrier II. I'm very biased because I spent 10 years working on them, but I just love the Harrier II and it's variants. I can't believe that there are no kits on the market for such a unique and popular aircraft. Let me know if you get anywhere with your Sea Harrier
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Hi Guys, talking about Harriers, I'm just heading to the field to fly my ocean going
"Yellow Fin" variant specially design to detect foreign submersible intruders to this country, note my sonar detection device at the extreme ars of the model. Great bargain for $89- but fitted with top 70mm, 4S power unit, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:01 AM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Iv e seen this plane at hobby king how well does it fly ?
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:36 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Hi Guys, talking about Harriers, I'm just heading to the field to fly my ocean going
"Yellow Fin" variant specially design to detect foreign submersible intruders to this country, note my sonar detection device at the extreme ars of the model. Great bargain for $89- but fitted with top 70mm, 4S power unit, Joe.
Cool! Is it purely aesthetic, or does it have a camera or something? Yeah I planned to get the bare airframe version so I could fit my own gear to it. I've been looking at the e-flite 69mm fan on 4S. I'm planning Electric retracts for nose and main, with gws micro retracts on the wing undercarriage. I spent 10 years of my life keeping the full sized ones in the air, until our fabulous government killed them off, so they're very close to my heart.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1 View Post
Hi, I was going to load my today's flight but after viewing the footage my 70 Y/O camera guy lost more then 1/2 of it! I get someone else to film it tomorrow.
Very inefficient exit ducking, more less park flying model but still fun if you like it slow Joe.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:19 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,061 Posts
id be interested in how this flys i also have noticed that hobby king is now selling the kit
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:54 AM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post
id be interested in how this flys i also have noticed that hobby king is now selling the kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1 View Post

AV-8B Harrier.wmv (3 min 24 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,988 Posts
Wing

Keep in mind that this wing is super thin and you will not be able to put servos on it. The ailerons servo is in the center of the wing old school trainer style with L shaped torque rods.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Ok, the time has come. I've ordered a bare airframe of the Guanli Sea Harrier and have decided to convert it to an RAF Harrier GR9. I've seen so many people try and fail to make a vtol Harrier so decided to go down the 'scale' route instead. I'm planning to re-shape and extend the wingtips, along with adding bigger flaps. I'll fit the correct wing undercarriage and pylons, then move on to re-shaping the nose cone. The picture below shows how similar the 2 aircraft's outlines are, with the area forward of the intakes being most obviously different.

CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
I was planning on beefing the wing up with a carbon spar, and fitting the servos for aileron and retract inside the pylon. Anyone any ideas how long stuff normally takes to get to the uk from hobbyking?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:36 PM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
179 Posts
Quote:
I was planning on beefing the wing up with a carbon spar, and fitting the servos for aileron and retract inside the pylon. Anyone any ideas how long stuff normally takes to get to the uk from hobbyking?
around 10 days , great looking project

dave
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks Dad!
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Feb 2001
222 Posts
RacerPaul is offline Find More Posts by RacerPaul
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Wing needs strengthening, it is the weakest link! I used f/glass cloth on the bottom. BTW my sonar detection device at the rear is "CofG" ballast being so nose heavy it does the trick to minimize overall weight. Taking mine to the field today hope will get someone to vid. Joe.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Short demo flight today, I'm just realizing how sluggish this model is after mainly flying now days powerful 90mm, 8-12S set ups, but still enjoyable on calmer days, Joe.
P1020775.mp4 (3 min 15 sec)