SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
736 Posts
Video of my Pioneer soaring

A friend took some Iphone video (no alt switch installed) of my Pioneer launching landing and soaring and a close up of where my battery pack is located.

Go to my channel on YouTube "GordySoar"

Gordy
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
736 Posts
Another version of the Pioneer

http://www.ar-flugmodelle.at/

not rubber :-)
Gordy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
623 Posts
Where are they?

I wish I could lay my hands on one of these, I love a challenge!! I know someone was closing them out but they all went too quickly. Now they are Unobtainium.

OKAY, I found then at Nitro Planes.

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Last edited by rev.iain; Dec 15, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar View Post
Okay glad it didn't crash
But
Why would you think it would be a good idea to start behind the recommended 40 to 42mm?

Gordy
Cg is at about 44mm still a bit nose heavy AS PER YOU.
soarrich is offline Find More Posts by soarrich
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
This isn't about proving who's wrong or right it's about helping set the model up

Gordy
Yes, did I write something saying anyone was wrong about anything?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
There is no wing flex IF you are flying it as a sailplane...
I was flying as an out of control tail heavy plane when the wings where flexing.

Quote:
Do not use expo as it will cause you to over control
I agree with this after flying the plane.

Quote:
I did not once notice a need to stiffen the wing during my flight.
I didn't on my flights either and didn't ever say they needed to be stiffen.

Quote:
Settle things down and even a rubber pioneer can thermal well -)
Gordy
I said it flew nicely when balanced.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
I tried it a few times, usually you put the TX throttle stick at full, plug in the speed control, it beeps 4 times then a second set of tones happen, if you move the throttle to low during that second set, it should turn on the brake but its not. I played with throttle end points too.
Speed controllers are a PITA to set unless you have the instructions with you, usually even then.

Quote:
The prop freewheeling is a tremendous amount of drag.
We have to get that figured out.
Gordy
I used a rubber band over the prop, then twist, then over the prop shaft, then twist, then over the prop. With the rubber band on the prop it gets pulled back against the fuse, but centrifugal force will open it.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
736 Posts
Rubber band trick!

Thanks Rich!

I forgot about that one

I'm still going to hunt for the speed control brake setting.

In the mean time, mine is at 44mm. I flew it on the slope yesterday even DS'd it a very little bit....conditions just weren't there by the time I got to our slope in Frankfort Kentucky. It was LATE...but I got some one handed Iphone footage.

I hate the segregated elevator and ailerons. There is just not enough surface or stiffness in those elevators to do a good job.

You pull and ...........then it reacts. I'm going to mix both surfaces to act as elevons.

Here's why the did the segregated surfaces ...my guess.
Scale
Easy to radio up (no mixer needed).
They expected that most buyers would spend their time zooming around with the motor on. (even though its a 'glider').

If you haven't been to my YouTube Channel "GordySoar" , I added the slope footage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:05 AM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
PIoneer adventures.

I went out yesterday to fly, about 2 mph winds. I got a guy to hand launch it for me three times, three times it plopped into the ground. I told him I just wanted a straight out good push which he did, so it's not the launch or launcher. The last one knocked the motor off and broke my cam prop.

I went home reinstalled the motor, put a wood 11x7 prop on it, took the expo out of the elevator and ailerons, and moved the battery 1/2 way back to where it was when it balanced at 46mm so I'm assuming it's at 44mm now. I want to launch this myself but I broke my left shoulder a couple years ago and there's no way I can throw it with my left hand so....I mixed in a full up elevator, about 1", on the "F" switch of my Futaba TX, I can give it power while holding the switch operated with my left index finger, throwing the plane with the right hand.

I went out today, the mix worked great! 3~4 mph wind I gave it a light shove straight out, more concerned about the wing level than throwing hard, at about 20 feet away it was up 10 feet so I released the switch and I was flying, NO DRAMA. I can show the settings if anyone is interested. I also have a kill switch programed in so you can't give yourself a radical vasectomy by accident..

I'm going to move the CG back to 42mm the way it is now is too pitchy for me.

The hinges can easily be repaired using Becon Foam-Tac glue.

Gordy, good videos. I just made a cam-hat to take my videos. I have a GoPro, but the lens makes the plane too small for our use.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
736 Posts
A whacky solution but there's a lot of ways to skin a cat... O course the cat is stil dead:-(

All you had to do was drop the throttle to just above half the give a smooth firm nose slightly up toss. The prop wash causes a lot of turbulence at the leading edge near the fuse that puts a lot of down force there until the wing has some airspeed and that wash can disapate. It's common on many airplanes but not usually noticeable. (If it had gear on it you'd see the tires flatten some).
There's a simple device to stop it but really not that big of a deal if you understand what is causing it.
One post thought it was motor "down thrust angle" but that wilould cause the model to pitch nose down when throttle was applied.
Not sure why 46mm seemed a good place
To start ... Set the model at the 40mm then move back while dialing down throws using your Dual Rate switches. You paid money for the might as well put them to work:-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:58 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,683 Posts
subscribe
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:15 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
736 Posts
I have a spare "kit" version

Hi Guys,
I have a spare kit version I got from Nitro before the other guys posted them on sale. New in box in case some one wants one. It does fly really well and a lot has been documented about them so tuning yours up will be easy.

They really look great on the slope because their big and move well, but I have put a 5 and 6 minute thermal flight on mine.

PM me if you are dying to have this now rare bird .
GordySoar@aol.com
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Jun 2005
25 Posts
brake set?

gordy, did you sort out how to set the brake ON. finished assembly and ready for some warmer (?) wx in nebraska for test flight. tls, larry
w0pya is offline Find More Posts by w0pya
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:44 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
736 Posts
The Brake seems broke

I tried several instruction sheets but the brake just doesn't work. I tried endpoints and travels and trims. I got it to give one beep to indicate brake but it don't stop spin'n :-(.

Anyone?
Gordy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2013, 03:56 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
Success with the Pioneer

I bought this late last year when Ready Made RC had close out pricing on them. It sat on the shelf for awhile and I just recently pulled it down and built it.

Mine flies very very well. It hand launches easily a little above half throtte and flies quite well and is striking in the air. I flew it three times last weekend and began to gradually move the CG back to make it less nose heavy. Even without this it flies well.

After reading all of the posts concerning this glider it was set up with 10mm of reflex on the elevators, 2mm of up reflex on the ailerons and the CG was set at 26mm from the LE at the wing root.

My set up is:
- Five servos, all Turnigy TG9s. I do plan to put some stronger servos on the ailerons
- Hitec 72Mhz full size recevier
- Turnigy Aerodrive SK3542, 1000 KV motor
- Hobby King 75amp ESC
- Hobby King 2200 mah 3 cell 11.1 v battery 25-35C
- Performance: 35 amps, 370 watts, 9,100 rpm with kit supplied 11" prop (pitch appears to be 7 or 8)
- All up weight 3 lbs, 3 ounces. Estimated wing area 624 square inches, 11.8 ounce sq ft wing loading.

I am really surprised and pleased with this airplane.
LouMelancon is offline Find More Posts by LouMelancon
Last edited by LouMelancon; Oct 09, 2013 at 03:46 PM.