HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Discussion
New RC Pilot with a Wild Hawk! Crashed it, and now I've got questions!

Hey all.

Brand new RC pilot here. I've been into RC for a long time, off and on (randomly buying cheap indoor RC heli's, etc. However, about a month ago I got the RC Plane bug, and purchased a Wild Hawk a few days ago.

Fast forward to today. After putting the plane together last night, I took it out flying this afternoon for the very first time. Obviously, with a new pilot, as you could expect - it crashed.... First time was a strong nose-dive right into a deep grass field. I went and picked it up, and the nose was broke off (expected). No big deal, I figured, and I proceeded to fly (read: crash) it over and over for the next half hour.

As I was crashing, things started coming apart (lol!). First was the power switch that the wires ripped out of. No big deal, I twisted them together to give it a permanent always-on. Then the reset switch came out. Again, no big deal, when the battery would come loose, I would just touch them together to simulate the reset.

Finally, the last time it crashed, I went to put the battery back in, and twist the power wires together. When I did that, the motor immediately jumped into high gear and started running full-speed. Even without "pushing" the reset button, it still kicked on fully. I messed with things a bit, and it still went fully.

I then pulled out the receiver, and disconnected the channels from the receiver, to make sure that wasn't the issue. Oddly enough, I pulled all three, and the motor still picked up fully.

So, that leads me to believe that the motor takes direct power from the battery itself, and relies on a lower voltage from the receiver supplied through it's channel to relay somehow the fact that it needs to turn on. And I'm guessing that somehow I mucked up that process when I crashed. I'm also guessing that "logic" is contained within the heatshrink wrap part that's connected to the whole thing. I figured, however, that it was in my best interest to make a quick post on here to see if anyone else knew what the problem would be, before digging into it. I'm having a great time with the plane, but I just want to make sure that I don't destroy its innards, before I destroy its outer shell!

Thanks all for the input, and I'm enjoying my new hobby already!
kenzietech is offline Find More Posts by kenzietech
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
So I did some more looking. I guess it's the ESC (?), or Speed Controller, that seems to no longer be working. It seems like it detects everything at full speed now, and churns the motor as fast as it can. I did some significant Google'n, but couldn't find anything about someone who had issues with the ESC causing the motor to run at full speed. But it appears that this is my issue...

Is there any way to get a replacement one of these? As I said, I just bought the plane and took it out flying for the very first time tonight, and I'd hate to be $70.00 down the drain, just because the stupid ESC burned out, causing the rest of the plane to be useless!

Thanks again.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:52 PM
United States, MI, Wyoming
Joined Aug 2011
28 Posts
Aren't there spare parts lists in your manual and at where you bought it?
The Dynam Hawk Sky (model part # DY8925) ( a 4-ch ) has the ESC part as ESC-25A ( a Dynam part # ).
Though if I were changing the ESC on the Hawk Sky, I would upgrade it to a 30 or 40Amp.

I would bet it's the ESC, too.
MIflyer is offline Find More Posts by MIflyer
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
MIFlyer,

Thanks for the quick response! I just looked, and my manual didn't show anything regarding the actual part number itself. I found a manual for it on Harbor Freight's website, and it just said part #14, Speed Controller.

I did some digging around the main RCGroup's Wid Hawk page, and someone mentioned being able to use the Dynam parts as replacements to the Wild Hawk. Further, I also found someone that said that the ESC was 25 Amp, so I would guess that it was the same as the ESC-25A that you mentioned.

Do you know where I can get a replacement ESC-25A? Or if better, where I could to go get a 30/40Amp replacement ESC? Again, I am completely and utterly stupid with this, and am just learning, so I need a how-to idiot's guide on where to go to get the right pieces that are compatible with each other! Furthermore, will the 30/40Amp replacement be OK with the stock motor?

Thanks again!

---

*EDIT*

I just looked around, and found two Brushed ESCs on HobbyKing's website:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6460

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6468

The first was found when looking for an ESC-25A, and the second was found just when looking for cheap replacement ESCs. Would either of those be compatible with the WH? Also, I know the WH has the on/off and reset buttons. Both of those two look like they're just wanting on/off power, and don't contain any circuitry for the on/off and reset switches. Am I missing something with those?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:48 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Tell you what....

I have a stock ESC and a Ch8 receiver not being used since I changed out all my electronics. ESC has a Deans batt connector on it but can be changed.

PM me with your address and it's yours..

Bart
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Tell you what....

I have a stock ESC and a Ch8 receiver not being used since I changed out all my electronics. ESC has a Deans batt connector on it but can be changed.

Bart
Awesome, thanks!!!!

PM'ing you now!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:38 PM
I hate the post office..
Joined Jun 2011
88 Posts
And that right there... is why I love these forums! We all got each others backs whenever we can!
FoamieFlying is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlying
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieFlying View Post
And that right there... is why I love these forums! We all got each others backs whenever we can!
100% agreed!

When I first started looking up getting an RC Plane after I got hit with the "bug", I kept getting linked back to these forums. Definitely a great place to be and to learn, and to meet great people that share a hobby. I already love it here!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:28 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
272 Posts
Hi fellow MI flyer,

Here is another candidate for confined areas. The Flyzone FlyLite. Basically it flyies like an overgrown Champ - easy, relaxing and fun. The wing span is 35" and is a 3 channel. I fly in a field in my backyard that is roughly about 230' x 600' in size. Surrounded by mature trees 50-60' size.

Here is a an active thread on RCG of FlyLite owners.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162073

It is available in both RxR or ARF. I started with the RxR before I found this thread. Page 5 in the thread is why I would go the ARF version if I had a do-over.

Good luck.

Roger
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Tell you what....

Bart
UPDATE!

I just wanted to send a shoutout to bartricky. I recieved a package from him in the mail last Friday, complete with ESC, all wiring to the various switches and reset buttons (and of course to the battery and motor). He was even nice enough to include his spare Tx/Rx that came with his Wild Hawk! THANK YOU!!! That was extremely generous of you, and it definitely helped to lessen the blow of discovering that my new toy was already out of commission. Now, simply with a little TLC, I could get her back flying again.

When I got the package in the mail, I spent some time putting the nose back on the plane with toothpicks, hot glue, and packing tape. Now the nose is slightly crooked and angled upward, and the canopy no longer fits well. But now I can say that my plane has character. Before I put bartricky's electronics into the plane though, I did some messing and was able to get the ESC to kind of respond (read: not fully shut off, and risked sometimes being stuck on full power) to throttle control on the Tx.

I decided that was good enough to take it out to fly it a bit more, and I wanted to get a bit more practice in first, before switching it to bartricky's parts, so that I didn't end up accidentally breaking those as well (I'd feel aweful). So, I managed to take it out this weekend for a day with a partial battery charge, and it flew like a champ! Two full flights, some big circles, and some straight overheads, and beautiful touchdown landings as well. I was impressed!

I charged the battery yesterday, and went out for another flight at a different location. Big mistake! The area was way too small, and I ended up banging it into a tree, and crash landing over a car. I think the last landing finally finished off my ESC. But have no fears, I have bartricky's generous shipment at home!

So now it's time to put the replacement parts into the plane. His ESC that he sent had a Deans connector on one end of it. Rather than remove it (it looked impressively well soldered together, mind you), I figured that if it was worth doing, it was worth doing RIGHT! So I bought a 4-set pack of M/F Deans connectors with heat shield on Amazon yesterday. Once those come in tomorrow, I will begin the process of pulling out my electronics, and getting his put in. My goal is by Saturday to have the parts replaced and the motor running smoothly, so that I can take it out for another flight or 10.

Thanks again bartricky for your shipment, and thanks to all for your help and advice in this thread! I'm loving being on this forum already .
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
all crash, no burn
Joined Aug 2011
336 Posts
Glad to see your getting everything worked out.

If I may, I'd like to offer a little bit of my experience.

My first plane was a Wild Hawk, which I crashed over and over and over. Eventually I threw it away out of frustration.

My second plane was a HZ Champ, I can't even begin to tell you have much fun I had (and still have even now) with that thing.

I eventually came to loathe the purchase of the WH, knowing what I know now and how much frustration I could have avoided.

So don't get frustrated its not you, its the WH.
cardnation is offline Find More Posts by cardnation
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
23 Posts
I would recommend a Hobby Zone Super Cub from Horizon hobby. Its a great first or second plane. All foam, it is easy to fix. Lots of good instructions, everything works and is well planned out. Plenty of spares are usually available at any hobby shop. Most of all it does fly well
Hank H is offline Find More Posts by Hank H
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:03 PM
I hate the post office..
Joined Jun 2011
88 Posts
I second going for the HZ SuperCub. It was my first plane, and I STILL use it today! The best part is you can upgrade it later when you get better at flying. It works VERY well with ailerons, making it a great first 4 channel trainer. And you can also buy optional floats for it as well. Of course once you decide to go with ailerons, you will need to use your own electronics, as the stock ones are NOT interchangeable with standard radios and receivers.
FoamieFlying is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlying
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:00 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
you'll enjoy the Supercub and it's easy learning curve. It was my second plane after the floaty Champ (basically flies itself) but I feel like the Supercub is the plane that taught me to really fly.
HobbyZone Super Cub Highlights Full Speed FlyBys, Take Offs, Landings, Crashes (7 min 40 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres