SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
Discussion
Help with wing for rucksack, folding or 2-3 piece?

Hi to all,
I'm a fairly inexperienced builder, with about 8 planes under my belt (varying degrees of success...) My problem is that I don't really like getting in the car every time I want to fly, and I'm too tight fisted to splash out on one of those fancy folding wings ready made. I get so little flying time, what with effectively being a stay at home dad to 2 tiny kids, that the construction is sometimes the part I get to enjoy the most.
I've ordered an 85cm eps wing (about 33") as epp is really expensive here (Brazil) as 2 cores, and am hoping that someone can give me some tips on making it rucksack friendly.
I have done some searching here on the forums, but nothing really helpful has come up so far.
It seems the 2 options I have are:
1. Split or fold in the middle, as that's how it's coming, with some kind of power pack or pod, which is self contained, and detachable.
2. Split into 3 pieces, either equal, or with centre 'fuselage' with power system to allow longer wings and therefore longer ailerons.

I'm sure there are others available, any help would be gratefully received.
Cheers
Ollie
Sao Paulo
mookster is offline Find More Posts by mookster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,039 Posts
I like the idea of 3 pieces with a self contained center section that would have the motor, receiver, esc, etc with removable outer wing panels. Seems like the simplest to assemble/disassemble at the field.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I like the idea of 3 pieces with a self contained center section that would have the motor, receiver, esc, etc with removable outer wing panels. Seems like the simplest to assemble/disassemble at the field.

Azarr
That seems like a good idea. The main problem as I see it is finding a way to attach the wings without adding too much weight, and servo placement. Do I put the servos in the middle and attach them diagonally to the wings, or put them in the wings and attach the leads to the middle at the field?
I'm quite capable of building this, it's just choosing the best option and getting on with it. I don't want to build, then find out that someone on here has an awesome solution that I didn't use, as I'm sure someone has.
Cheers
Ollie
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:23 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,935 Posts
I have just built a flying wing designed by a German guy that has designed it in 3 pieces. A carbon tube goes from one wing, through the centre section and into the other wing. The servos are placed next to the elevons and plugged in after the wing is assembled. There is a little stub joiner at the leading edge just for alignment.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Sep 14, 2011, 07:54 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,686 Posts
I'm using 10mm carbon tubes to join 8mm wing spars + some velcro
the spars hot glued and easily replaced if broken. I blow hot air into tube and it will slide in -out with little force.
foldable_wing_fpv.mov (1 min 14 sec)
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Dec 2001
145 Posts
fmkit that a nice wing you have there, but I personally dont like to remove all the electronics every time. I would just rater remove one side of the wing.

if you want and already made product look at the Xeno from Multiplex is what you are looking for
Multiplex Xeno (1 min 0 sec)
cloudbuster is offline Find More Posts by cloudbuster
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Quote:
I'm using 10mm carbon tubes to join 8mm wing spars + some velcro
the spars hot glued and easily replaced if broken. I blow hot air into tube and it will slide in -out with little force.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmraVZ8g7w
Was that motor velcroed on!!!?!?!?!?
i would not feel safe flying that.
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:14 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unialfred View Post
Was that motor velcroed on!!!?!?!?!?
i would not feel safe flying that.
this is pusher - all the thrust comes against velcro parts, all my wings have removable powerpods. Latest 80cm fuseless Skyfun is only wing with fixed motor.
One day the wing in the video fell into sea, was rescued after about 10minutes in salt water. It took couple minutes to velcro new powerpod and the wing flew again with added mass of salt water and sand
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
@fmkit, I love the idea, could you post a couple of photos of the attachment? I do like the powerpod idea, for exactly the reasons you pointed out. It also opens up new possibilities in terms of motor/prop combos for different types of flying. As I'm not too experienced, I would like to start of with something slower, then maybe upgrade as time goes on, or maybe I'd want to show a beginner the ropes. Anyway, a couple of photos of the way you attach the wings together and the powerpod.
Cheers
Ollie

[edit] What is is you say you sometimes have to calibrate? I can't quite make it out in the video
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:42 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
the xeno locks in to the hinge point with a very nice locking mechanism

however i myself fin the xeno setup no matter how you do it very heavy we have 2 at our field and i am not impressed

i would say do as azarr said build the center section with all the electronics and some slide on wings on carbon spars a simple set screw in the tubes the spars will slide into will lock the wings without issue i would think

i bet if you got ahold of CK from ritewing he could even cut the 3 piece wing from one of his core set for a few bucks extra

Tim
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbored21 View Post

i would say do as azarr said build the center section with all the electronics and some slide on wings on carbon spars a simple set screw in the tubes the spars will slide into will lock the wings without issue i would think

i bet if you got ahold of CK from ritewing he could even cut the 3 piece wing from one of his core set for a few bucks extra

Tim
Being a bit of a noob, could you explain how I would do the set screw? I haven't done it before and I'm worried about weakening the spars by over-tightening.
I've got the building ability, but I'm not very well, and my brain isn't working at full speed to work out the engineering part of it at the moment. As I said in the first post, I've ordered 2x85cm wings already, so the Ritewing thing wouldn't be any use to me, but thanks anyway.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:00 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookster View Post
@fmkit, I love the idea, could you post a couple of photos of the attachment? I do like the powerpod idea, for exactly the reasons you pointed out. It also opens up new possibilities in terms of motor/prop combos for different types of flying. As I'm not too experienced, I would like to start of with something slower, then maybe upgrade as time goes on, or maybe I'd want to show a beginner the ropes. Anyway, a couple of photos of the way you attach the wings together and the powerpod.
Cheers
Ollie

[edit] What is is you say you sometimes have to calibrate? I can't quite make it out in the video
All my wings are finless and sometimes sweepless so I have to use gyros to stabilize flight. In the video I push button and wait till gyros finish calibration. New receivers don't require calibration so I just plug the battery and take off.
Here is one of my powerpods, used 1mm carbon sheet, 1900kV motor, UBEC and homemade UHF receiver w/Wiii motionplus gyros. By moving EPP block in-front of motor I can set thrust angle. This schok absorbing motor mount never breaks
Normally one powerpod will outlive 4-5 wing cores.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
Thanks for that info. I know absolutely nothing about gyros, and already have a few ideas about folding fins, so it won't be necessary.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
I've nearly finished the first of the two wings, this one is a normal build, to test out the wing and get used to it before I try and build a folding/detachable model, and to test out the power pod idea.
@unialfred, the 'stick' on the velcro I bought is unbelievable, I'm more worried about taking chunks out of the wing removing the power pod, than it coming unstuck during flight. Photos to come soon
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,686 Posts
I use half inch wide velcro strips on power pod and still very careful pulling the pod off the wing. Two stripes 10x1.5cm of HK velcro enough to hold 300w motor.
One day while dogfighting 3S flight pack got off the wing, was dangling off the nose for a minute then somehow fixed itself on velcro under the wing and I didn't stop flying till the pack drained completly
Velcro on the nose protecting EPP , few times I flew into wallor pole, bounced and flew other direction without damage.
Don't forget to tape ends of joiner tubes before they split.