HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Jul 2007
52 Posts
Discussion
UMX Beast Elevator Quit Working Mid-flight

So I'm out flying, having a great time with my Beast when I try and pull out of a dive and I get no elevator control. Beast smacks into the ground and I see that theres no mechanical problem and all my other surface controls work fine. I pull the battery, plug it back in and still no elevator response. So I quit and take it inside where I plug it back in and what do ya know... elevator works now. Has this happened to anyone else? Is my Beast brick defective?
joefear7 is offline Find More Posts by joefear7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:04 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
It seems to happen to some flyers here. I would call HH and see what they say and offer you.
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:10 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I'd call Horizon immediately and see if they can help you.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Sep 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Chances are they will just replace the board. Not the whole plane
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:26 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefear7 View Post
Has this happened to anyone else? Is my Beast brick defective?
Yes, it's happened to quite a few people. It's probably the servo rather than the brick. My P-51 crashed several times and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, I thought it was a CG issue and that it was a strange stall. Turns out it was the ailo servo, it would lock out now and then. I figured it out when I crashed it and the servo stayed locked until I wagged the sticks. It's pretty unusual, but it seems like the Beast has been more prone to servo issues than the other micros.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Yes, it's happened to quite a few people. It's probably the servo rather than the brick. My P-51 crashed several times and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, I thought it was a CG issue and that it was a strange stall. Turns out it was the ailo servo, it would lock out now and then. I figured it out when I crashed it and the servo stayed locked until I wagged the sticks. It's pretty unusual, but it seems like the Beast has been more prone to servo issues than the other micros.
this is _exactly_ what happened to my sbach, few crashes in a row where I felt like I pulled into a strange stall then crashed...then noticed on one of the crashes the right aileron was locked. Sooo annoying because the crash happens so quickly you're not sure if you actually messed up or if something malfunctioned!
Aekero is offline Find More Posts by Aekero
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekero View Post
this is _exactly_ what happened to my sbach, few crashes in a row where I felt like I pulled into a strange stall then crashed...then noticed on one of the crashes the right aileron was locked. Sooo annoying because the crash happens so quickly you're not sure if you actually messed up or if something malfunctioned!
Right, you described my experience exactly, LOL! I was moving the battery around all over the place trying to get rid of that funky "stall"
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Jul 2007
52 Posts
Horizon told me too bad. They say their product is only warrantied for the first day that you use it. I've heard all these great things people say about HH?! Why were they totally unwilling to help me? I've only had the plane less than a month.

The worst part of it was how rude and antagonistic the product support guy was to me.
Last edited by joefear7; Sep 14, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Horizon told me too bad. They say their product is only warrantied for the first day that you use it. I've heard all these great things people say about HH?! Why were they totally unwilling to help me? I've only had the plane less than a month.

The worst part of it was how rude and antagonistic the product support guy was to me.
Call them back. Maybe you just got a guy having a bad time.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:46 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah call back. Also try email. Email is slow but usually ends well. Lol
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Here's a good way to deal with CS that always works:

1. Talk smoothly and slowly and sound like you're an extremely nice guy.
2. Greet them with "Good morning Sir (or their name if they said it.)
3. Laugh a bit with them, ask them how their day is going.
4. Tell them that you've purchased products before from them and you've been really happy, but this product seems to fallen short (but be nice and sound non-aggressive.)
5. Never demand a replacement. Always talk like you're disappointed but leave the ball in their court. The idea is to make them decide that you're a nice guy and they want to help you out as much as they can. If you start forcing your wills on them or if you start being aggressive, or talking fast, or sounding like you're the conversation leader, then they may go on the defensive.

Put yourself in their position. If someone calls, sounds disappointed and sad, but is an extremely nice person and not pushy, wouldn't you feel like helping them even if you had to overstep your bounds? Of course you would. But if someone calls up, tells you the product is junk, sounds like a snappy teenage boy or young 20-something that has figured out the world already, and demands a replacement, you'll go on the defensive.

I use that method every time I call. Honey gets a lot more bees than vinegar.

If you still can't get your way, slightly change to a more aggressive state after you find out they're not helping but don't lose your cool.. still be nice, either that or call back and talk to another rep.

There may be an ulterior problem though. They may not have any more in stock to replace it with so maybe that's why they've taken this hard stance on it.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Last edited by binaryclock; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:48 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2011
148 Posts
binaryclock speaks the truth, just got a board replaced using the same mannerism
Aekero is offline Find More Posts by Aekero
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Jul 2007
52 Posts
Believe me when I called that was my approach . I work in sales as a manager and I know what works with people. I didn't even get to the end of my sentence before this guy was telling me how their warranty works. But anyway I asked to talked to his supervisor before we ended the call. So a Mr. Keller from HH calls me later that day and this guy was great. He told me he was sorry for the way I was treated and there sending me a new board and wing for my troubles. Basically he acted how I thought HH would before I called them the first time. Very helpful very apologetic overall great service.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:53 PM
Baton Rouge, LA
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Quote:

I just had the same conversation with HH. Maybe I got the same guy. He said the warranty only applies to defects "right out of the box".

While bench testing my Beast, I discovered the elevator sometimes sticks for 3-5 seconds which exlpained a couple of weird flights I've had in the past that I thought were pilot error. Luckily, I fly 'three mistakes high' and over a grass field that is very forgiving. Full disclosure, I bought mine for Christmas last year ($160) but haven't flown it much (probably less than 10 times) so it looks brand new and I thought I'd give HH a call just to see if they'd offer me anything given this seems like a known issue.

He told me I could buy a new board for $70 or a new plane for $100 and added, "You have to ask yourself if your time is worth $30." (that's a direct quote). I was pretty disappointed but understood given the age of the plane and decided I'd just fly my Beast until it crashes beyond repair.

In the meantime, I bought the UM Polecat and maidened it today. It was a blast to fly. I even flew my Beast afterwards with no issues, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the elevator really sticks and....
AggieEngineer is offline Find More Posts by AggieEngineer
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
The servo sticking can be caused by a small defect in the pinion or larger drive gear on the servo itself. These defects can only be seen under magnification.

My Beast has this problem. the elevator servo is jerky and is centers in a different position most times which causes the plane to feel unstable in the pitch axis. Could also be a bad gear causing this problem. not bad enough to stall the servo but affects its centering position.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly