Spektrum DX6i 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Discussion
DX6i vs Turnigy 9x

So I have a DX6i that I like alot. it's easy to program and works well. that's there all there is to it...

well I'm in the FPV forums researching a FPV setup, and I asked about a FPV related setup on the controller. without even getting into the issue (and another thread that I had made) they started telling me how the DX6i is crappy and that DSM2 is old technology... Apparently it has varying range too. lots of planes have been downed due to DX6i they say.

Everyone is pretty much telling me to get rid of my DX6i and to go with a Turnigy 9x.

I'm pretty surprised because the DX6i was praised highly when I asked about it, and spent much more compared to a DX6i...

so I wanted to ask here what people think of it.

Now I know Horizon has great support for their products (DX6i) and Hobby King's support is non existent (even though 9x is shipped from US)

Also I heard x9 can be bit harder to program.

and supposedly DSM 2 doesn't have freq hop (DSMx does) and Turnigy V2 does have freq hop...

so all in short, this got me thinking... I'm thinking if I should just pick up a 9x (and maybe get rid of the DX6i)

and don't say it's apples to oranges 6ch vs 9ch. and it should be compared to DX8 vs Turnigy 9x.

I also heard that once you solder some kind of connection (not sure what) to the board, you can update the firmware, and people put custom firmware on them making them comparable to very high end radios.

I have a DX6i so I'm comparing the 2
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
Last edited by razorseal; Sep 12, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:43 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,358 Posts
I'm not sure where these guys are getting their information. I still have the original DX6 (w/ DSM1 technology) and it's still a solid transmitter. Never had an issue with it and use it as a backup for my DX7. That's got DSM2 as well and that's never given me a problem. DX6i isn't a bad radio at all. As far as DSM vs freq hop, it's just two different ways of doing the same thing. DSM KINDA has a freq hop type of system in that it scans for 2 open channels. My vote's for the DX6i.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:05 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
I'm surprised myself. It's 2 styles of flying, but it does fall under the category of 'flying an RC plane' ya know?

here we go

From -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504659

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
i get the creeps when people are flying fpv with dx6i... ive lost two planes with this radio before I got the sense to buy something decent..... like Turnigy 9x with FrSky or UHF. But im sorry I cant help you with the OSD questions , just trying to warn you so you avoid might loosing your plane too. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
You might be a good pilot , but if you have not even flown FPV you should trust me and other guys that advice against DX6i (DSM2 is old technology)
9x is much better.. doesnt matter if its named Turnigy and is cheap as chips , its better! Its not a matter of 2.4ghz vs 2.4ghz. With DX6i one day you might get 1km , next day 200m.

From my build thread over there

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1503602&page=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
Oh the horror stories I could tell you about Dx6i 2.4Ghz fpv. The plane would be flying almost line of light while my friend was fpving and I saw him lose r/c control then the plane spiraled down instantly losing altitude fast, as a last hope to save it he raised his arms to get signal and miracurously the 2.4Ghz connected and saved it.
Now a days he has a Dragon Link UHF connected to his Dx6i for flying long range
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
Get the 9x with a DL. I have a DX6i and did all the research too for using it for FPV. Many stories of range issues and downed planes. Besides 6 channels is not enough for a skywalker fpv setup....THROT, AIL, ELEV, RUDD, FLAP, AUX (ail #2) ......all taken. Sometime down the track you will want pan & tilt, and maybe a lost model alarm.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:16 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
You don't have to go far to see that the reviews are not the greatest for the Turnigy 9x. Check out the hobbyking.com website itself

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8992

I don't know what these guys are smoking, the dx6i is awesome. Maybe they just like cheapo 9channel controllers for their pan and tilts. Also when a guy loses a plane because he loses orientation or spaces out in his FPV, the knee jerk reaction is to blame the equipment.

We're more worried about fine tuned control.

I will refrain from voting because I've never actually tried the Turnigy 9x. It could be a great controller, but usually the reviews speak for themselves.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:34 PM
pro R/C crash-test pilot
United States, WY, Gillette
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
i couldnt say either , i mean , i dont have a dx6i , but ive got 2 turnigy 9x's , yes they have had a bad rep in the past but ive had nothing but good luck with mine , now i keep them for backup to my JR 9303 with the DM9 module , as far as range goes , so far they are about the same....... i do like the 9303 better!!!!! lol
Rcgary20 is offline Find More Posts by Rcgary20
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:35 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
I'm gonna be putting Dragon link on it, so range won't really matter for me I guess...

I actually want a Hitec 9. but they're too pricey.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:45 AM
Paducah, KY
Joined Jan 2010
178 Posts
I have been flying for a year on my turnigy 9x with a field full of spektrums and futaba's. I haven't had a single quirk yet. I've flown high enough the plane was a dot in the sky and pointed the sticks to the inside upper corners to get it back down.. LOL I run version 2 of the controller. I also run 9 channel and 3 channel rx's with it. So all I can tell you about this radio package is all good. oh, I use a 2300 mah Nimh battery pack on the transmitter. I also fly on the simulator with it nightly. It has been well used around my house. Whether is is better than what you have I don't know. That would be up to someone with experience in what you are trying to do with it.

Orion13
orion13 is offline Find More Posts by orion13
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:57 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
701 Posts
You have to keep in mind what features are important for you when comparing.
DX6i has
- quality hardware
- polished firmware for regular flying
- support
Turnigy has
- channels
- modability, hardware- and firmware-wise
- robustness to interference from other electronics (at least with DragonLink...)
- cheap

I've also done FPV with DX6i. At one point it worked at 1km distance, other times it failsafed at 250m.
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:09 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Don't forget that the 9x can be upgraded to run the Fr-Sky telemetry system. It can also be reprogramed with new firmware written by members of this forum with suggestions from users.
Goolge "gruvin 9x" for more information. I don't know how many people at my field now run the 9x or a variation. Brilliant radio out of the box but spectacular radio after mods.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:13 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Check these out
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176328
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:24 AM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Thanks for those links..

I'm posting from my phone, so it's hard too search this.

How difficult is it to upgrade firmware? I think some soldering has to be done?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:36 AM
Punching holes in clouds
UK
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Never had any issues with my DX6i. I Love it.
MatZeRO is offline Find More Posts by MatZeRO
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:44 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I love my DX6i, but now researching the Turnigy 9x it looks like a good bargain.

I wonder if you can buddy box it with a DX6i though? Would be great to buy one for my son.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:51 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
Thanks for those links..

I'm posting from my phone, so it's hard too search this.

How difficult is it to upgrade firmware? I think some soldering has to be done?
firmware is very easy. you just have to solder 7 wires to the board and remove two resistors.

The frSky is a little more difficult but still very easy. If you with to go with the FrSky upgrade to get inflight battery voltages etc then you need the following

$4 Usb to Serial connector to convert the 3.3v Signal to 5V
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...interface.html

The radio TX
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Module.html

Telemetery Receivers with a range of 2.5Km and an operating voltage of 3.3v to 10V
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elemetery.html

Just brilliant!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:16 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,211 Posts
I can not help with the DX6i, but I have flown Airtronics for a long time. I have (2) RDS8000's and would not give them up. Yet I did order a 9x. I bought it because the 6 channel Rx's are $9.00 compared to $60.00. I was planning to use it only only on small foamies, and planes that were small and lite. Well after having put about 30 flights on it, I have become more trusting of it. II have taken as far as I could see my plane and never lost signal, no glitches, rock solid.

I do plane on ordering the back lite / program board. It goes for $40.00. That way it makes it easy to flash the memory. I am lazy. One of the features it changes is it goes from 8 model memory to 16. It also changes a lot of the mixes and how you setup the radio.

Yes there have been a lot written about problems. But compare the threads about problem of each make, futaba, Airtronics, JR, Hitec and then look up all of the threads that say nothing is wrong. Not many threads on any of the radios when they work well.

Just my .02 worth.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard