HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
cloudbuster
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Offsite link). It is temporarily hidden while cloudbuster edits it.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:17 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
trappy and co use the 54". ive always wondered why they didn't use the 60 or 66 version
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
The Zeph has had a few revisions in all directions over the last 3 years,I think we are getting close to one standard size,lol
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Sep 12, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
I made the 60'' and 66 '' Zephyr blunt versions because people seem to always like bigger wingspan then the 54'' .
I have even made alot of 66 '' which I find is also a sweet spot.
Now a 56 blunt would be the best of all worlds,lol
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:29 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Anything but the Falcon. The Falcon is a horrible plane.

That said, I bought a Maxi-Swift. I haven't had the time to assemble it yet.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leicester
Joined Feb 2009
261 Posts
I've struggling with the maxi swift myself. Definitely need to reinforce/replace the ailerons as the foam ones bend and deform under speed. Tried with one layer of glass fibre but that's not enough.
tesco is offline Find More Posts by tesco
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
United Kingdom, Moray
Joined Aug 2011
48 Posts
Of the wings you listed, I'd get the zephyr (everyone seems to love them). It depends where you live though: for me, living in the uk means that a zephyr would be prohibitively expensive with tax and shipping.

If you have the same problem, you may want to look at other options like the windrider wings.
Grox is offline Find More Posts by Grox
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:50 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Shipping to the UK is actually not too bad,and customs doesnt usually hit the Brits too hard.
If you want a china wing over the Zeph I cant help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
Of the wings you listed, I'd get the zephyr (everyone seems to love them). It depends where you live though: for me, living in the uk means that a zephyr would be prohibitively expensive with tax and shipping.

If you have the same problem, you may want to look at other options like the windrider wings.
Last edited by klique; Sep 13, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Select a wing (or any other plane) based on the mission you plan to accomplish with it. Also what flying style (speed, slow/glide, high and slow? fast and low?, bashing thru trees, portability, 1 peice design?, cut or molded?, ease of construction? etc). Those are the questions you need to ask yourself. When you have that answer - then the selection will be easy to make after that. Ask yourself what you want/need the plane to be able to do - and then go from there.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:09 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
For example - my Windrider Scout Bee comes together 100 times faster than an "all up" FPV Zephyr w/ less time building and more time flying. I don't need a slope to launch it - I don't have to toss it over my head, I don't need a support thread to get it in the air or helpful videos. BUT, the more resources that you have at your disposal the more chances you have for success. There is no guesswork and the tech is already there. I see that as a benefit, whereas w/ the Scout I was treading on new ground bc there's less documentation.

I think the Zephyr has more survivability than my Scout. But I don't plan on flying through any trees or brick walls anytime soon so I'm happy. I don't abuse my gear bc I want my plane back. Even though I selected a wing that's NOT a Zephyr (for my latest build) - if I wanted to make it more bulletproof then the same rules of re-enforcement would apply (weave, glass, tape, glues etc) - and my build would be comparably as involved as building a Zephyr. But there would be more risk w/ the Scout bc of less documentation than the Z.

Also - Chris is ACTIVELY developing his line. The Windrider line "just exists" - LOL.

The Z is the dominant wing at this time, followed by the MS Composite line.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:14 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Yes Get a Bee , the current Zeph is going out of production after this batch anyways.
Thnx for all the support.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:30 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I'm not promoting the B - weak elevons, quirky winglets - and very thin (when compared to others). I havent crashed it yet - so no survivability data yet - lol. What I'm promoting is selecting the wing based on what you need it to do. The Z can do a wide range of stuff - PROVEN. The MSCOMPOSITE line is proven for fpv. The Scout is the odd wing out as far as fpv goes.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Foamaroo also flies very well with a wide speed range and large fuselage area to carry system.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
United Kingdom, Moray
Joined Aug 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Shipping to the UK is actually not too bad,and customs doesnt usually hit the Brits too hard.
If you want a china wing over the Zeph I cant help you there.
Trust me, if I had money to burn, I'd get a Zeph - they are clearly excellent wings - but I don't, so I won't.

At the moment I am quite happy with my 10 year old Irvine x-it, but if I did need a new wing, I would go for the Scout Bee over the Zeph, not because it's a better wing, but because it's more affordable for me.

The quality of your stuff is unquestionable, but unless you can get me a Zeph for about 70, shipped, I am, unfortunately, part of a market that you can't cater to.

p.s. What's replacing the Zeph?
Grox is offline Find More Posts by Grox
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2001
145 Posts
then the falcon is out of the way.
not much talk on the Xeno from multiplex but it does look pretty nice it even fold in half
Multiplex Xeno (1 min 0 sec)

xeno closer look
Multiplex Xeno . Up close (10 min 8 sec)

I like the design wonder how it does full of FPV gear it seem to be and extremely light wing 17oz but almost as big as the Maxi.
but it have a long shat so FPV gear wont fit with a 2200mah

so Zeph are going to stop production
cloudbuster is offline Find More Posts by cloudbuster