HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:56 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
497 Posts
I recall a plane with reverse 'W' and a norm 'W'...it's in a mag but a quick google would find it. Yes it has been neglected...I recall falling in love with the F4U4 Corsair watching Baa Baa Black Sheep! Till today I still love that plane...it just has presence.
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 04:48 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,649 Posts
Dream Flyer

Here's the drawing I did, thinking I might be able to get round to building it soon.

I'd be delighted to see any progress with it. There are also .dxf files in my Dropbox account. Anyone wanting those should send me a PM with their email address so I can share them.

Cheers

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old May 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
354 Posts
I see I came up with different W angles than the plans show. I came up with 142 and 156. The plans show 144 and 149. It probably doesn't matter as each should fly...
Thanks for posting the plans.
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:37 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,829 Posts
Ive been flying my W wing kite all lit up.. and have found that the COG is not at all critical.. I moved the COG back to 39% because it was not flairing out on landing, and it was still very self stable, throttle low, it was flying itself more than I was..
normally cog is good at 32% on this shape...
Turns out the lack of flair is all down to flexing in the control sysytem, so Ive got to thicken up some of the kites rods to prevent this, and change the horns as they are also contributing to the problem..
despite these faults the model was a pleasure to fly.. or rather watch it as it flew itself, with a few directions by myself..
W Wing night kite lit up (2 min 29 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Jun 19, 2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,691 Posts
Flying W water landing in electric videos area.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21968199

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,829 Posts
W wing night kite modded (4 min 27 sec)

Note .......The W winged kite is an OK flyer... but the depron KF versions are far superior
Last edited by davereap; Aug 24, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:29 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,649 Posts
NIce!

An excellent set of build shots! thank you for posting.

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,829 Posts
I flew indoors last night and managed to crash the wall..dont know why, because it flies a treat and it carried on flying well after the crash..I was doing figure 8's with ease across the short width of the hall, and was circling nicely inside of 10ft..the flying was done with a 500 lipo on board.. its an easy flier , ok on the elevator, but for me was a bit too slow on the roll... with uncovered 3mm depron elevons I am thinking they had too much give, so I have now added a strip of tape either side to stiffen them up

The crash showed the front was a bit weak..
On the U/C I had forgotten the layer of cloth over the legs.. so they just popped off..
The front cross bar got loose not having enough cold melt glue to hold it securely
And the front took a couple of creases on the depron...

so reinforcing was needed... A small KFm4 is my answer.. the weight after the work takes the AUW to 6oz with a 500 3cell lipo... 2.5ozsqft
Last edited by davereap; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:39 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,829 Posts
going fully micro...I have been making various builds to find the lightest/strongest combination methods for my materials

I have 2mm, 3mm and 6mm depron..cf rods, tapes etc... the usual but no eep or epp..
epp being the lightest and most expensive and it also needs cf bracing...

I have found that for me, a double layer frame work of 3mm depron with foil/mylar sandwiched between gives good results... not the lightest, but the best combo, it is the stiffest/strongest but still light enough mix...and I like the results so far..

I have just made a delta type wing which has come in with a very light wing loading, under 1ozsqft so the W is a good candidate for another build..
estimated AUW of about 38gms will give 1.2ozsqft loading..and the guts from one of the parkzone micro SU or similar will do the job nicely
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:08 AM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
354 Posts
Excellent light wing loading. When are the video's going to be posted?
Can you explain the glue used to sandwich the 3 mm pieces and what material you use for the center layer?
This looks very interesting. I truly do want to have a plane I can fly around my small living room, say a 12' by 12' area. Right now it looks like a Parkzone Mini Vapor is the only viable candidate. If I could build something that flies better, I'd really be happy.
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:57 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,829 Posts
I am on the same sort of quest... yes that mini vapor size is one of the few tiny models that will do the job... plantraco make some of the gear and designs that are also small enough..
going up a size the vapor which is a great slow flier is possibly flyable in that area, providing the room is clear...and there is a cheaper nano stick model that flies about the same
my room is bigger but I cant fly my vapor in it...too many obstacles..

The best bet for indoor fun is one of the micro quad copters or heli models that are around.. Ive got an mqx and a v929 both are flyable in a very small area..

The center layer above is a holographic Xmas wrap.. a mylar plastic foil not the cheap paper foil coated rubbish thats all I can find this year...Its the same material that the fancy party baloons are made of...
Glue is the standard UHU por... I lay the foil on a glass surface, bits of tape round the edges, keeping it all flat.. spread the UHU as thin as possible on the 3mm depron frames ...the depron only, its not needed on the foil...... when its touch dry it will stick to the foil.. and it sticks well.. stick one side on, then trim the foil so you get back to the shape, now stick the other frame in place ..
Take a bit of care aligning the second frame, so it matches up with the first side.. ..done

the wing loading has turned out very light, and I have glide tested it indoors, its almost as good as a depron chuck glider that carries no gear, slow and smooth...
my next indoor session is not untill the middle of january...outside its been " P"-ing down for days and blowing hard, so I havnt been able to get out and fly anything...
Last edited by davereap; Dec 25, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
United States, TN, Johnson City
Joined Jan 2012
86 Posts
any chance for a build video for us simple minds!
FeWolf is offline Find More Posts by FeWolf