HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2008
162 Posts
Help!
ef mini stinger wont fly with canopy (no power) 1 min flight time

I have an EF mini stinger that is giving me nightmares. After a full charge (4.2) volts it will barely lift off if canopy is installed. W/O canopy I can get maybe a minute of flight time with yaw trim problems (doesn't this thing have a gyro?) I can let it sit for a lil bit and then get another min of flight. Checking the battery shows I can't discharge to 3.7 volts unless I'm hovering at full power an inch off the ground battling to keep tail control.

Any ideas as to what to look for assembly wise that would cause this lack. Of power? I've tried to pull the battery after one of the 1 min flights but if it is crapping out under load the voltage bounces back before i can measure it.

Just wondering if it is something mechanical or electrical (bad solder joints, etc) to look for before I get the new hyperion batteries I have ordered.

Absolutely any help would be appreciated.

Oh, my rx board is a ne260a rx-01 if that helps.

Regards,

Steve
Iceberg86300 is online now Find More Posts by Iceberg86300
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:03 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,424 Posts
Sounds like maybe something in the drive train may be slipping, so (a) it doesn't transmit enough power to lift off properly and (b) one rotor's speed it wrong, so it causes a spin.

Check if the rotors can be turned while you're holding the big drive gears still. If they can turn, you need to find out where the slippage is -- could be the gear or the blade holder not tight on the shaft.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2008
162 Posts
No slippage in the drive train. But it seems as if the inner shaft spins just a bit more freely than the outer shaft. Dont know where it could be binding though, except on the frame in between the bearings.

This is nagging. Can only fly without the canopy and only for about a minute before full throttle and slowly losing altitude.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:03 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
I have the Solo 210a which is the same heli.

The first thing to try is another battery. Stock NE batteries are pretty bad and voltage is not really a measure of capacity. When my stock battery gets low, on either the Solo 210a or Solo Pro 260a, the heli completely spins out of control. This can, in some instances, apparently lead to receiver damage.

On my first flight when the battery got low and the heli was impossible to control I thought I had a dud, but changing the battery did the trick. The HK OEM 120mah or 150mah are leaps and bounds better.

If the battery is not the problem, another possibility as has already been mentioned, is the drivetrain. Check that the motor drive gears are meshing properly and the gears are not damaged. There should be a very slight amount of movement up/down when pulling gently on the upper head. You should beable to spin both upper and lower blades easily with very little resistance.

My 210a has about 30 - 40 flights on it. The only issue I had was the brittle flybar which is easily modded.

I hope this helps you narrow it down.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Nov 2008
162 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Mine acts thebsame way, spins like crazy and drops altitude and will only hover in ground effect.

Hopefully it is the battery. I have some hyperions comimg that I will be able to monitor through my hyperion charger and computer.