HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:26 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
The jetfan 90 doesn't seem to have the top end of the midi or stumax. Am i imagining this. I have seen several vids. Any exhaust velocity figures?
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,853 Posts
my latest jetfan powred model, a moddified RCL t33. weighs 10lbs, has a het 1500kv motor, running on 8s 5000/6000. speed is about 115-120, and this is a large model, 65" wingspan. flies REALLY nice and scale on this setup. its also extremely quiet once the gear are up, and its at cruizing speed. about 2600W. this is the old V1 fan. this is my second jetfan model flying that i have, and since im going to bigger fans in my T-38, that means ive got 2 fans to go into other projects im working on!

i love this fan, the quality is just awesome.

as far as eflux go, i havnt checked it, but my t33 had a midi pro before, and this setup is the same watts, and its about the same speed, maybe even a little faster.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:19 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,501 Posts
Very nice corsairnut!! Spectacular!
Chris
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:13 AM
Joined Jun 2010
113 Posts
The jetfan 90 doesn't seem to have the top end of the midi or stumax. Am i imagining this.

Doug, you are imagining this. I have flown planes with midi fans and then jetfans, with midi fan and then stumax. Jetfan is not inferior in performance to midis or stumax. I have flown my sabre with a stumax 110-52 and a jetfan, it flies better with the jetfan, shorter takeoff, faster in the air but the jetfan is running at 3.9kw on 10cells as opposed to whatever the stumax took on 12 cells.
Unfortunately none of my examples have the fans taking exactly the same power so I can't say that for exactly the same power input one fan is better than the rest. I prefer the sound of the stumax and the jetfan to any of the others so if I need more speed I'll just add more power and use a jetfan
stewarti is offline Find More Posts by stewarti
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:04 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Fair enough....it makes sense, was probably just a particular airframe i saw...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
TeamSiam
Graz
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Top speed

Hi Caps,

As the JETFAN-90 and 90V2 has less FSA than the old Schuebie or MIDI, because the inner diameter of the motor tube is 45mm, we have more eflux at the same thrust than the MIDI or similar fans with a smaller motor tube.

Means that our fan has to produce the thrust at lower FSA, so the air speed direktly in the fan is faster.
The longer the thrust tube is and if the outlet diameter is the same, the less is the difference in the air speed.

But most of all, the COG and connected to this a VERY small difference in the angles of attack of wing and stabs makes a model flying faster than an other.
Also the internal losses in the inlet tubes and outlet tubes are making a big difference in flight performance.
As nearly every friend in our local flying club is using the JETFAN now, we can see the direct comparison to the other fans. But of course we do not completely reach the performance of the STU-45-90 with every set up. Some times there is a gap of 2-5%.
But at the end of the day our fans are some percent cheaper also.

Keep whooshing,
Rainer
EJETS-II is online now Find More Posts by EJETS-II
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
929 Posts
Rainer

I own both the 80mm and 90mm EDF units and like the performance very much. In the near future I'm going to a bigger jet the will need up to a 120mm EDF unit. Are you planning to offer a larger version the the Jetfan in the 100 to 120mm range?
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:44 AM
TeamSiam
Graz
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Bigger Jetfan's

Hi caps,
Yes, we are planning to make an 130mm unit for 13 KG of thrust, and the first working handmade prototype shows the same numbers than the 128HST from Schuebie.

This unit will be cut down to following diameters:
127, 125, 123, 120 and 117mm for BVM

We also have tested different available motors and so we have already setups for 8-10 Kilo, and 10-13 Kilo of thrust.
But it will take 4 month to have the serial solution.

BR ,Rainer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:26 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJETS-II View Post
Hi caps,
Yes, we are planning to make an 130mm unit for 13 KG of thrust, and the first working handmade prototype shows the same numbers than the 128HST from Schuebie.

This unit will be cut down to following diameters:
127, 125, 123, 120 and 117mm for BVM

We also have tested different available motors and so we have already setups for 8-10 Kilo, and 10-13 Kilo of thrust.
But it will take 4 month to have the serial solution.

BR ,Rainer
Congrats on moving forward.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Awesome, exciting news!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:37 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
972 Posts
Agreed! I'm waiting and watching with interest Rainer!

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:26 AM
TeamSiam
Graz
Joined May 2007
318 Posts
Good news!

Hi friends,
Thanks a lot for reading the thread always and flying my fans!

Pls. see my last post in the BVM-F-86 intake area thread.
There you get again the link to my BVM-Saber-JETFAN-90V2 conversion, and it's agreat flier!

Bobby has had always the best planes, not the cheapest but the best for me!

BR ;Rainer
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Dealer in USA? Looking for nice 8S pkg. I have an old Hv110 castle that should work.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 AM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
893 Posts
Jetfan dealer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bateman View Post
Dealer in USA? Looking for nice 8S pkg. I have an old Hv110 castle that should work.
Where have you been Doug, you have to catch up on the forums and get out more often
www.performance-edf.biz
The Jetfan90/Jetfan80 as well as Schübeler "HST"
-Mike
performanceedf@gmail.com
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:33 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Where have you been Doug, you have to catch up on the forums and get out more often
www.performance-edf.biz
The Jetfan90/Jetfan80 as well as Schübeler "HST"
-Mike
performanceedf@gmail.com
Mike, i know and i just realized i forgot about you guys after i posted... No excuses....do you have the 90 in stock? I'll have to read thru this thread to see about a nice 8S setup...