HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:51 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
he had heat sinks on them but yeah good ques.i think the biggest thing we all learned on this was the thrust to weight ratio does'nt scale the same .i think he had more than half the weight in thrust,but still needs a bit morer i think if he had 30 lbs of thrust it would be better.
I agree Roger.
More thrust to push that big airframe thru tje air.
Isn't it 100% FSA on the intakes w/90mm currently?
What would it be with 110mm fans? I know you guys can whip up ducting pretty easily. Might be the better solution instead of pushing 90mm fans/motors to the limit. I'm afraid the scale factor would suffer somewhat with larger exhausts though...
If you want to continue to push the envelope though the Neu 1527/2D 1150kv gets my vote. I think at the sustained power it needs to fly you want as much motor mass as possible. It's rated at 2250W continuous and 4500W surge, and the price hurts. $324ea.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Last edited by bmiller; Oct 16, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:29 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,626 Posts
The Neu 1527/2D has the power, but Kv needs to be higher. If he went that way he should go with the 1527/1Y@ 1250Kv. The JetFan needs the rpm to extract its power. I had checked with both, Steve Neu and Rainer on the 1524/2D, the reasons were, on the charts no Voltage was listed and on Rainers side would the JetFan body hold the weight. Steve gave the go ahead for 12s

Weight was Ok with Rainer.---

Would like to say that the 1524 with 550gramm should also be OK. But in this case i would support within 3 thin rods between the housing and the motor.
Then i really have no issue with the weight.
at the 1527 i'm not sure if there might occure a problem after some hours of running.
BR ,Rainer

At 4" long and at 19.4 and 21.8 oz respectivly, thats alot to hang out there.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:59 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Thet're both really heavy! If Steve and Rainer says ok on the /24 then so be it.
I am concerned about the continuous high watts the jet needs though...
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:20 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,626 Posts
I had only checked because I had given some thought on the 1524 myself. C/.N
said the Het 1200kv would be fine for my F-86 @ around 15lb. Not so sure any more. I am no motor guru, but the weight of the Het 1200Kv is only 330g/11.64oz, thats like the Neu 1515 series. The Het 700-83 is 460g/16,22oz, more like the Neu 1521's @16.93 oz I guess bigger is better!

Should note, that Rainer and Stuarti both used the Het 700-83-1445 in ther Sabres.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,966 Posts
the trouble brent had was he could not back off the power ,he was having nose gear issues and trying to roll the plane inverted ect. so he could not back off .i dont think he had a chance to ck the motors ..they may still be ok ,or perhasp the heat after shut down got them . the batts were ejected fwd so there was no power after it came to a stop to see if the one motor would still run.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
975 Posts
I was assembling a Jetfan 90 this evening and had a question for those who have assembled these. When tightening the rotor to the adapter is there any trick you guys are using to hold the fan while tightening the bolt? The only way to hold the fan is to grab onto a couple of the blades while tightening the nut. I'm concerned this would stress the blades too much while tightening the bolt. Is there some other way to do this or should I not be concerned.

I must say this is a really nicely designed fan. Nice job Rainer!

Thanks!

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:55 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,592 Posts
Yes the fan is very nice. It would be nice if there were two opposing holes on the hub then you could make a tool that had pins that would engage the holes so you could easily tighten and loosen the nut, Rainer are you reading this post?
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Yes the fan is very nice. It would be nice if there were two opposing holes on the hub then you could make a tool that had pins that would engage the holes so you could easily tighten and loosen the nut, Rainer are you reading this post?
Agreed Bob. That would be a nice solution.

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,640 Posts
I havent had any trouble holding the rotor and tightening so far, the blades are incredibly strong, you would have to be trying for a cold weld to get enough force in there to break something.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Feb 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhey View Post
I recieved mine last week, and have test flown it in my HTG L-39. ARC 36.75.1 (1680kv) on 8s4000 reads 102 Amps peak. Tried the ARC 36.65.1 (2150kv?) and got 95 Amps (6s motor)

The "schwoosh" sound that this fan produces, is the best I have heard up untill now. And for the price, I think it is great value.

Kim
You sure the amps are not reversed? Usually going from a 6s to 8s setup the amps would be lower.

Any thrust figures?

The amps you stated with the arc motors are similar to a wemo fan using those motors?

About 6.5 lbs on wemo midi 6s
About 7.9 lbs on wemo midi 8s
latinajet is offline Find More Posts by latinajet
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:39 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
The amps would increase going from a 6s to an 8s this is because the rpm of the edf unit is higher and the thrust is greater so the motor is going to need more amps. See the charts below and look at the Het 700-68-1680 on 6s and 8s cells.
BadLemon is online now Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
RAVI KOTHARI
Bombay,India
Joined Nov 2005
257 Posts
Just got the v2 rotor, and installed it, just noticed that the Blade Tip to shroud clearance is the smallest i have ever seen in any Fan, what's the report on blade flex and therefore Blade scrape on the v2 rotor?
any input would be appreciated
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
Jet's are cool!
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2011
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikoth View Post
Just got the v2 rotor, and installed it, just noticed that the Blade Tip to shroud clearance is the smallest i have ever seen in any Fan, what's the report on blade flex and therefore Blade scrape on the v2 rotor?
any input would be appreciated
I am running the fan on 8s with HET 1400kv and 1500kv and there is no blade scrape.YES I have 2 of these fans. There is only smooth quiet POWER!!!!!!!!!! Just make sure when you installed the motor it is evenly spaced in the mount.
UNABLE2SURF is offline Find More Posts by UNABLE2SURF
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:03 AM
RAVI KOTHARI
Bombay,India
Joined Nov 2005
257 Posts
Thanks , will make sure on the mount..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNABLE2SURF View Post
I am running the fan on 8s with HET 1400kv and 1500kv and there is no blade scrape.YES I have 2 of these fans. There is only smooth quiet POWER!!!!!!!!!! Just make sure when you installed the motor it is evenly spaced in the mount.
ravikoth is offline Find More Posts by ravikoth
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Jun 2010
114 Posts
I'd be interested in a bigger fan as well Rainer, something suitable for 14 cells. I have a JAS 39 Grippen that would suit a bigger fan I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Schubie or turbine for it.

Good luck with your Mirage, extreme, mine was the best fun I'd had in ages, it really suits low level full throttle fly bys and the jetfan sounds great at 220 kph. It was going really well until last Friday when it suffered a bad case of "pilot induced oscillation" during a very low fly past and was totally destroyed. A waste of a day off work. Ah well.
Another order on its way Rainer....
stewarti is offline Find More Posts by stewarti