HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:17 PM
roadawg27
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Aug 2011
37 Posts
Discussion
Cartoon scale warbirds RTF/ARF

Does anyone know of anyone making cartoon scale warbirds? Not a skilled builder but wuld really like to get a hold of a couple of these guys
Roadawg27 is offline Find More Posts by Roadawg27
Last edited by Roadawg27; Sep 12, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:49 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
If you're looking for scale warbirds in ARTF or RTF , (not quite sure by what you mean by 'cartoon'), try the -

Electric Warbirds forum

They have most of the ARFT/RTF warbirds in there.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,343 Posts
Cartoon Scale means that the proportions are tweaked to look cartoonish. Caricatures. Mostly the designs have been short and fat.

There should be some profile ones in the Scratch Built Foamies area, or you can make your own by playing with 3 views in an image editing program.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:54 PM
roadawg27
Joined Aug 2011
37 Posts
also called fattie scale...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
A certain well know master of foam and of after market foamie accessory kits has a set of these under development....saw them at his shop. Will let this thread know when he annouces.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
roadawg27
Joined Aug 2011
37 Posts
Thanks I would appreciate it if you let me in on that builder...they look like alot of fun to play with in the back parking lot at work
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,369 Posts
Heres What he has so far for toon planes . He's got a few WWII planes in the works which he commented would be an easy build .
Heres some test flights

Cartoon war bird test flights (7 min 3 sec)
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:12 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
I think a couple of DF's were in Electric flyer this month.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:03 AM
roadawg27
Joined Aug 2011
37 Posts
yes...those are the ones im interested in
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:55 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,088 Posts
Seen them in the recent issue of Fly RC this month, plans available and haven't had a chance yet to see if they were available as a completed assembly. Looked pretty cool though, check the Fly RC site on line.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:47 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Cartoon, Charicatured RC Flyers

I see one post about sparks and his creations. He sells plans for a few jets (Sabre, Mig-15) so far and called his "fattie" planes. I have also seen others call theirs phat, phlat, fat, cartoon, and such, which are all good search words to add to the phrase "rc airplane", or "rc plane". If you go onto Youtube, the phases work there also to find video about cartoon style rc flyers. There is one guy that seems to do more than the cartoon planes, but he is an excellent starting point. The only catch is he is Chinese, I think, so you may have trouble understanding what he says or prints. In the end you will understand if you can draw it, using the Blu-Dart concept of style, you can fly it as long as you keep the basics balanced.

As a side note, there are a lot of profile pizza box flyers (PBF), Blu-Dart, and "Blu" this or that in RC Groups that are exaggerated profile flyers that could be easily made with a full fuselage in the fattie, fat, phat, and etc. style. All you need to do is add curved parts to the profile fuselage. You can also use the profile fuselage as a reference and build a thin foam park flyer (TFPF) using many different kinds of foam board that is as thin as 2mm and as thick as 1/4". Thicker might be a bit of a challenge, and I posted a Youtube video about how to cold roll thin foam board. Once you have a tube of the desired size, it is just a matter of making required cuts and glue the edges together for the fuselage shape you want. The technique is very much like what is done in scale paper airplane model construction with card stock. Those of us who are working with thin foam tend to use enlarged paper airplane plans, or reference them to make TFPF and larger projects. Unfortunely, I haven't come across an Internet site that offers phat plane plans, other than what sparks is doing.

What I have found is all sorts of paper airplane plans and a few sites and blogs that hint at what they are doing to make, draw, and otherwise change scale model airplane plans into something in the phat plane theme. Most of what I have been collecting is pictures of drawings or finished projects. Some are made to be desk top models and I doubt would fly as built, but it wouldn't take much more effort in thin foam to make them an RC Flyer. What got my attention was how darn cute they were and the fact the chinese guy and sparks had their versions flying well enough to venture into my own copies and versions. In any case, do a few searches as I recommended and see what you find. If you find something interesting, share and I will do the same in the near future. In the mean time, gander at a few examples of what I have found so far.

Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Sep 13, 2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Heck build your own. I took a cartoon I found and used a Mud Duck kit to morph it into a phat flyer D-40. There is nothing to building a duck.

And yep it has retracts and a smoke system.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:57 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Build Your Own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Heck build your own. I took a cartoon I found and used a Mud Duck kit to morph it into a phat flyer D-40. There is nothing to building a duck. And yep it has retracts and a smoke system.
I agree it isn't as hard as it may look if a person has a bit of drafting skill. Hmmm... Mud Duck Kit? I am not familar with that kit, so I better look it up for ideas it might generate. Nice looking flyer too! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:02 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
Watch this YouTube video of Wiley E Coyote and the Road Runner, Just Plane Beep. It's cute. Wiley builds a cartoon plane he receives in the mail. (Not sure if the U.S. Post Office could deliver today with such quality...or reliability.) Scroll to the 1'44" mark to see his airplane.

Watch the whole cartoon. His plane is indestructible—even after it's been destroyed!

I also like the way he mounts the propeller. GŁnther-Props are similar.

You might consider building something like his bomb drop at the 5'41" mark.

Or watch this cartoon: Duggy.

Building such models would probably be best out of foam or Depron. No doubt they would get little kids really interested in RC modeling.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Sep 13, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
LOL, too cute! Try this one, but it isn't in English.

J10+J8+J7+F4 VS F22+B52/飞机总动员 (7 min 22 sec)
Last edited by Tsavah; Sep 13, 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling ...