Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Idea
Radiator???

I'm thinkinking of making a cooling system for my old MGT. So heres my idea:

ill make some copper tubing wrap around the engine, head to the front of the truck, add some"cooling ribs" or whatever theyre called and ill put a fan infront of it to cool the liquid(in other words a custom radiator). the only problem is I don't know how to pump the liquid around... I was thinking of using exhaust pressure to pump it around by making a tube come straight out of the exhaust and into the cooling system...will it work? I could use some advice/ideas.

(sorry for the bad grammar, im using the onscreen keybord since mine doesnt work)
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:33 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Why are you trying to cool the engine that way? Nitro engines are meant to run air cooled. If it's running too hot, it's either too lean or the fuel doesn't have enough oil (or both).
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
24 Posts
Well it sounds pretty ingenious. But I also don't understand why your looking to do this with a Nitro Engine. But anyway, I like the sound of it

You can try running another pressure tube from the exhaust to your radiator perhaps. Only make it a small outlet though otherwise it might start to effect your fuel system.
I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a mini water pump or something that you could power from the RX of your car?

I've no idea, I'm probably just bluffing but I do kinda like the idea.
JT12 is offline Find More Posts by JT12
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:51 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
If you ran pressure off the pipe into the cooling system you would be introducing air bubbles into the system, and the air would be the only thing circulating. There are pumps that run off of crankcase pressure, but I don't know if there's anything that small around.

You would need to run a water cooled head, not just tubes run through the cooling fins for it to have any real effect at all.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2003
217 Posts
http://perrypumps.com/prod02.htm
pecor is offline Find More Posts by pecor
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:56 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Well there's the pump problem solved!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:13 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
thanks but i think ill leave it till later for now, im gonna start tidying up my truck: adding dual exhaust stacks, painting the body, and make one of those air intakes used on 4x4's...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:22 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Just an FYI, running an exhaust like that and an intake snorkel will kill off a lot of power. You need a nice free flowing filter and a good tuned exhaust for good power.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Just an FYI, running an exhaust like that and an intake snorkel will kill off a lot of power. You need a nice free flowing filter and a good tuned exhaust for good power.
yea I know somtimes my truck starts to slack because of the foam on the filter(aside from the actual filter) so what I do is just pull it off... and WALAA!! a noticeble increase in performance!

And for the exhaust I already installed and tryed a prototype with 3/8" tubing and yes it killed off ALOT of power so now Im going with 1/2 inch metal tubing and some vinyl, rubber, plastic ones just to see which is better, already tryed with the vinyl and the truck runs nice and smooth only problem is that it spits out unburned oil all over the truck gonna try getting that fixed...
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Try and post some pics of this project if you could. I love my mgt and am always lookin for different ideas for mods. Just finished a dual tank setup and a cold air intake that has the airfilter coming thru the hood of the truck. Simple but cool! Curious if you know what your currently running for temps as Im still lost on why you feel you need to cool it?
Phins Fan is offline Find More Posts by Phins Fan
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:50 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phins Fan View Post
Try and post some pics of this project if you could. I love my mgt and am always lookin for different ideas for mods. Just finished a dual tank setup and a cold air intake that has the airfilter coming thru the hood of the truck. Simple but cool! Curious if you know what your currently running for temps as Im still lost on why you feel you need to cool it?
Well I would like a cooling system because where im going to live (guatemala) temps vary in diffrent parts of the country, like i could be in the southern part wheres its almost 90+ degrees everyday with humidity at 80% + , and in 30 mins. i could be in the mountains wheres it gets really cold...and it would be pretty interesting experiment.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:16 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Nitro engines like to be in a pretty specific heat range to run well, it could be hard to regulate that with a cooling system.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
They make fuel coolers,i've seen some a while back on ebay.If i come across them again i'll post a link.

I've tried this many years ago.I had a watercooled .10 nitro motor from a rc boat.I took it and put it in an kyosho assualt and made a radiator.Then i took apart one of the electric pumps they use in the fish tanks.I took out the little motor and the little pump.That's what i used as my water pump,well the motor kept over heating and shutting down.

Then i made another to use as a static model in a custom 1/10 street/strip drag car i made.Then later on i made another one to use as a fuel cooler for one of my 1/5th scale nitro bike. I fitted it between the line coming from the tank to the carb.Like you would for a filter,that didn't work since then i have never tried again. you might have better luck than i did but my theory is once the water heat up that's it.It's not gonna make a difference because it will circulate to fast through the tiny system that it will have very little affect.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:20 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swheels View Post
They make fuel coolers,i've seen some a while back on ebay.If i come across them again i'll post a link.

I've tried this many years ago.I had a watercooled .10 nitro motor from a rc boat.I took it and put it in an kyosho assualt and made a radiator.Then i took apart one of the electric pumps they use in the fish tanks.I took out the little motor and the little pump.That's what i used as my water pump,well the motor kept over heating and shutting down.

Then i made another to use as a static model in a custom 1/10 street/strip drag car i made.Then later on i made another one to use as a fuel cooler for one of my 1/5th scale nitro bike. I fitted it between the line coming from the tank to the carb.Like you would for a filter,that didn't work since then i have never tried again. you might have better luck than i did but my theory is once the water heat up that's it.It's not gonna make a difference because it will circulate to fast through the tiny system that it will have very little affect.
Wow where did you get that mini V8? well im not making the radiator for the nitro engine, my friends and I started a project, we're making a diesel rc we already have the engine block made its actually more of scale model cummins ISX except we only have 4 cyls. ill maybe post some pics
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:45 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
I could be mistaken, but that engine looks like a plastic static model to me. Conley precision makes a V8, but it's a 1/4 scale engine and costs about $6000 to start.