HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Discussion
DX8 Loosing signal

Well i went to a event this weekend called Cub Nuts. great event with great people.

before i start i will let you know my equipment.
I am flying a DX8 with a AR8000 receiver with satellite receiver. Using the TM1000 Telemetry. A Castle Creation 36amp Thunderbird, and a Park 480. 9 gram servos, in a multiplex fun cub.

I check my flight log after every flight and it typically looks something like this:

A: >100
B: --
L: 100-200
R: --
F: 0
H: 0

well one of the things that we do at the event every year is an "All Up." this is where everyone takes a plane and flies in the same pattern as everyone else. well this year we had close to 30+ planes in the event, all flying at the same time. well I had a 2-3 second window where i had lost reception of my plane and had no control of the plane. I am running my Telemetry and on my Flight log i showed the following

A:255
L: 652
F: 1
H: 1

I think from what i gathered that i lost reception for more than one second(according to the manual) and took a hit from another spektrum radio during the flight. this flight was about 15 minutes as the goal was to be the last one up in the air.

Later that same afternoon there was a similar event where we had 27 Multiplex Fun Cubs flying at one time playing a "follow the leader" game.

During this flight my Flight Log showed the following:

A:139
L: 275

Not only did i have problems but during the first "all up" event another pilot flying a JR 9503 radio and a AR6000 i believe, who lost reception during the event twice. first time was about 2 seconds and the second time was about 5-6 seconds.

This was confirmed by not only the pilot but by the pilots spotter and another spotter for the event.

Of all the radios in use, i think there were only a total of 4-5 FM radios used all weekend with 90%+ radios being DSM2 radios.

Why am i loosing signal and getting hit? This is not supposed to happen on spektrum and i am very Disappointed. even more so because i am on DSMX and According to spektrum you can fly with more than 100 radios on a once without interference. we were not even close to 100 radio.

this is making me want to go back to FM radios.

Someone help me find a solution to this problem.
Sparelink is offline Find More Posts by Sparelink
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:43 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Make sure the lead from the sat. is seated well and the orientation is correct. I had a loose connection once that got similar antenna fades.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:46 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
This report begs the question... do all the radios have to be DSMX for the 100 radio claim to function properly? When you have 90% using DSM2 all those radios select 2 frequencies and stick with them. This perhaps filled up the band and your DSMX radio was jumping around on top of all those frequencies never finding enough clear frequencies to get a good signal all the time.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:44 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,518 Posts
Just looking at your average flight log, not sure how big your plane is and how far but I got a AR7600 which is the same as AR8000 but of course only 7channel and on my PKZ Corsair that I fly far enough to have a hard time with orientation my flight log is
A:1 & L:1

Maybe you need to try different position of the RX and sat to get better signal.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:34 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,080 Posts
can you take a photo of the radio install and some shot of the plane? It could shed some light on the subject.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:03 AM
United Kingdom, Crewe
Joined Jul 2009
66 Posts
Why am i loosing signal and getting hit? This is not supposed to happen on spektrum and i am very Disappointed. even more so because i am on DSMX and According to spektrum you can fly with more than 100 radios on a once without interference. we were not even close to 100 radio.

Someone help me find a solution to this problem.[/QUOTE]

I saw the video of the spectrum tests using 100 of their systems.
I wondering what would be the result if there were a mix of systems making up that 100 total.

Also ( and please don't shoot me down)

I am uncertain as to how the spectrum chooses its 2 channels when it boots up.
1/Does it scan the band then choose vacant ones
2/ Does it choose at random (could result in dropping over another tx)
3/ Does it choose two then move away if those are in use.

If you or anyone else can answer this it would really help.
I have a new DX6I on the new system but still want to use older receivers such as Orange. I also have JR FM which has never let me down.

Pete
cheshireflyer is offline Find More Posts by cheshireflyer
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:06 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,518 Posts
Wasn't that video done with 60 DSMX and 40 DSM2? If you also listen to the video you will know the numbers.

at 3:45 in the video - 100 DX6i / 60 in DSMX and 40 in DSM2.
http://spektrumrc.com/DSMX/
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
United Kingdom, Crewe
Joined Jul 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Wasn't that video done with 60 DSMX and 40 DSM2?

You could be right. My point is that not only Spectrum are using the 2.4 band and others using it in different ways may reduce the number of units able to exist together. You can,t just assume (Spectrum that is) that your equipment is all that we ever use.

We saw this years ago when split frequencies from say Futaba existed vell enough together but not with other makes. We all ended up flying on odd or even numbers. At least that is a thing of the past.
I do still fly FM though.
cheshireflyer is offline Find More Posts by cheshireflyer
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshireflyer View Post

I saw the video of the spectrum tests using 100 of their systems.
I wondering what would be the result if there were a mix of systems making up that 100 total.

Also ( and please don't shoot me down)

I am uncertain as to how the spectrum chooses its 2 channels when it boots up.
1/Does it scan the band then choose vacant ones
2/ Does it choose at random (could result in dropping over another tx)
3/ Does it choose two then move away if those are in use.

If you or anyone else can answer this it would really help.
I have a new DX6I on the new system but still want to use older receivers such as Orange. I also have JR FM which has never let me down.

Pete[/QUOTE]

Good questions-
Spektrum has posted how the link ups are done - DSM2 is NOT the same as DSMX
a quick intro will show that DSM2 selected two which were available and IF there were not two - it waited till there were two
DSMX has a setup where the TX being used has a group to work with and moves around within that group.
In either case- the chance that the selected frequencies are touched at the same time as some other user -are extremely remote
The 2.4 spectrum is NOT similar to the 72 MHZ where the radio occupies that slot!!!!

read up -i will help you understand far better than this short, incomplete comment.
As for why your particular setup reads out badly - - I have no idea - too many variables to guess at it

In most instances - if power is solid - the other big variable is that the radio rx (s) are being hidden such that the signal is not getting thru.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:37 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparelink View Post
Well i went to a event this weekend called Cub Nuts. great event with great people.

before i start i will let you know my equipment.
I am flying a DX8 with a AR8000 receiver with satellite receiver. Using the TM1000 Telemetry. A Castle Creation 36amp Thunderbird, and a Park 480. 9 gram servos, in a multiplex fun cub.

I check my flight log after every flight and it typically looks something like this:

A: >100
L: 100-200
F: 0

well one of the things that we do at the event every year is an "All Up." this is where everyone takes a plane and flies in the same pattern as everyone else. well this year we had close to 30+ planes in the event, all flying at the same time. well I had a 2-3 second window where i had lost reception of my plane and had no control of the plane. I am running my Telemetry and on my Flight log i showed the following

A:255
L: 652
H: 1

I think from what i gathered that i lost reception for more than one second(according to the manual) and took a hit from another spektrum radio during the flight. this flight was about 15 minutes as the goal was to be the last one up in the air.

Later that same afternoon there was a similar event where we had 27 Multiplex Fun Cubs flying at one time playing a "follow the leader" game.

During this flight my Flight Log showed the following:

A:139
L: 275

Not only did i have problems but during the first "all up" event another pilot flying a JR 9503 radio and a AR6000 i believe, who lost reception during the event twice. first time was about 2 seconds and the second time was about 5-6 seconds.

This was confirmed by not only the pilot but by the pilots spotter and another spotter for the event.

Of all the radios in use, i think there were only a total of 4-5 FM radios used all weekend with 90%+ radios being DSM2 radios.

Was this a recalled DX8(unlucky 400) or bought new with the latest and greatest?
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:07 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Try Chinese made 2.4 radios. I used several of them and I have never lost signal.
Turnigy 9X costs only $53, yet software and signal link are equal or better than name brand radios costing ten times more.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Was this a recalled DX8(unlucky 400) or bought new with the latest and greatest?
Just bought it last month so i am guessing it is the latest and greatest

Ill try and get a picture later tonight. I have had it set up this way for a few months and the only time i have ever had a problem is during this even with a lot of people.

i usually fly with anywhere between 1-5 other planes in the air when i am
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,883 Posts
The "latest and greatest" shipped with Version 2.02 code in it. If you didn't get version 2.02, then you need to check your PID against the list here and follow the instructions if it's on the list. It could be that your shop had older stock.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMR8800

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The "latest and greatest" shipped with Version 2.02 code in it. If you didn't get version 2.02, then you need to check your PID against the list here and follow the instructions if it's on the list. It could be that your shop had older stock.

Andy
Its starting to look like all Spektrum transmitters need to have a way to update without having to send it back to Horizon. Any chance of that Andy?
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy

My PID is HC105X so it looks like i am good.