HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by realdeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Trader Rating: 44
Sold
ESM 80" T-28 Trojan Electric w/ Sound + Smoke

This was a complicated project. Please excuse the long post but it is necessary to explain the aircraft.

It started in March of 2010 when I purchased a Hyperion Z5045 motor with the intention of building an 80"+ warbird. The ESM T-28 had just been introduced and looked like a good candidate. I was right. I figured that as long as you were going something this big in electric it may as well have sound so I also purchased the Model Solutions sound module and a couple of neodymium magent 4" speakers.

As long as you are doing sound with a full start-up sequence you may as well enhance the illusion with smoke. I designed a small smoke box using a model train smoke stack and a fan. It is not for use in flight but looks VERY realistic blowing smoke out the exhaust on startup. I did have intentions of doing wingtip smoke modules and have pre-run wiring and mounting hardware for this purpose. This is all controlled through the model solutions module so it coincides with the sound.

From there I added the Sierra Retracts and Castle ICE 160HV ESC that I picked up at the Toledo show. Intairco wheels and brakes finished off the gear package. I used a mixture of Hyperion, Hitec and JR digital servos. All of the hardware was upgraded to "jet level" quality. I changed the pull-pull on the elevator to a much stronger CF pushrod arrangement. The power duties are handled by a Western Robotics Hercules Super BEC and a 2S 2500mah lipo. It is all controlled by a Futaba 6014HS receiver.

The top hatch was modified and formers added to allow battery access from the canopy. Three screws and you are into the battery tray. That is also where you fill your air tanks and smoke oil. Once assembled you can fly all day without removing the wing.

And that's how you end up with hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in a simple warbird ARF. The results are visible in these videos:

ESM T-28 Electric w/ Sound - Startup (0 min 32 sec)

ESM T-28 Maiden Flight - Electric w/sound (5 min 55 sec)

ESM T-28 Electric - Flight 5 (3 min 19 sec)

The last video represents my fifth flight and the last time it has flown.

You get:

ESM T-28 ARF - $400

9 servos - Mix of JR, Hyperion and Hitec digitals - ~$450

Sierra Retracts - $480

Intairco 4" Main Wheels/Brakes - $235

Intairco Nose Wheel - ~$40

Model Solution Sound Module - $200

Electro-tech Speakers - $75

Hercules Super BEC - $100

Hyperion Z5045 motor w/Mount - $250 (Twin to the Hacker A60)

Castle Creations ICE 160HV - $250

Various Hardware, extensions and Smoke system - $200

Futaba 6014HS receiver - $200

Mejzlik 21x14 Carbon-Fiber Prop - $75

Hundreds of hours of setup and assembly time - ????

So that's over $2900 worth of hardware alone.

I have this programmed into my Futaba 12FG radio. I use pretty much all of its capability. I'm sure you could dumb down the system to work with fewer channels. If you happen to be on the same system I'd be happy to download the program. I believe it is also compatible with the 12Z and 14MZ using a converter program from Futaba.

The size of this aircraft pretty much prevents shipping once it is built. I'd also like to be able to walk you through the setup and programming in person. I'll drive the first 100 miles from Lexington, KY to meet you.

Price is $1750

Paypal or Cash in person for payment.

Any questions please ask!
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:41 PM
Space Coast, Florida
Joined Jun 2008
2 Posts
Trader Rating: 113
What are you using for batteries, how much does it weigh and how long of flight time?
mmclaug858 is online now Find More Posts by mmclaug858
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:24 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
I'm using 12S 5000mah 25C batteries. The flight time is 7-8 minutes. It weighs about 25lb.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Oct 2010
119 Posts
Wow, can't drive to KY, but congrats on a fantastic project. (maybe I will drive!!)
J
jamboF4 is offline Find More Posts by jamboF4
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:47 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
What a Beauty!
Financing a new project? TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments. I'm liquidating some toys to hopefully fund a new house. I'd hate to miss this buyers market.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:21 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,155 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
bump for a great guy! He has flown this at my field and I've met the guy in person. A class act. Help him get his house!
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:17 AM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
The video of the flight was actually at your field. I would love to keep the plane until the kids were a little older and I might have more flying time.

We're trying to get into our final house. Whatever we lose on selling is more than made up by the rates and prices right now.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:31 PM
KCS
Joined Jul 2011
4 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Is this aircraft for still for sale? And what are the dimensions?

Thanks...

Kevin
KCS is offline Find More Posts by KCS
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:36 AM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
It is still for sale. Th wingspan is 80" and the length is about 65". The weight is 25lb. Thanks!
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Oct 2010
119 Posts
PM sent
jamboF4 is offline Find More Posts by jamboF4