HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Clay Cross
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Further to my previous post this is todays result of attempting to fly. I was gliding the model very easily straight and level. I then tried about 1/4 throttle and the model flew relatively straight. At 1/2 throttle the model started to turn to the right,I managed to cut the throttle and land. I then tried again again I let it come full circle towards me, at this point it was flying into the wind (about 12/15 mph) The wind appeared to get under the wing and started to lift the model which started to climb and then stall and fall back only to keep repeating the process. I was trying to get it under control by letting go of the sticks but the wind kept taking it further away. I tried to bring it back with more throttle but again it was travelling into the wind and now started turning somersaults. I had no option but to cut the throttle and let it fall at which point it spiraled into the ground with the results shown.Rather than bin the model I decided to try repairing with a hair dryer, thin cyano, kicker and some spare carbon rods.

I'm quite pleased with the results after 2 hours work.
lanerover is offline Find More Posts by lanerover
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:33 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Lack of airspeed led to a stall. Pilot error I'm afraid to say.

Also, your previous pictures show a very poorly aligned airframe. Nose looks very bent and the right aileron is up enough to turn.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Thanks Gerry I would probably agree,however since the latest crash I've managed to straighten the nose, the ailerons always "park" in this position until powerup exactly the same on my Wildthing. The lack of airspeed could be due to the lack of motor power the correct motor was damaged in an earlier crash and this one was fitted as a temporary measure I'm hoping to fit the correct one again before the weekend. Much of the twist in the airframe is as it came out of the box, the stabilizer was so bad that I have tried to straighten it 4/5 times, initially it was so bad that operating the elevator caused the stabilizer to move about 30mm at each end as it tried to straighten the bent hinge line, eventually the elevator ripped off at the hinge line before the model had flown. Needless to say I'm not very enamoured with the quality of Multiplex components. Hopefully I will have more to report on Sunday, a friend who is a BMFA instructor is to try to fly the plane.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerover View Post
Thanks Gerry I would probably agree,however since the latest crash I've managed to straighten the nose, the ailerons always "park" in this position until powerup exactly the same on my Wildthing. The lack of airspeed could be due to the lack of motor power the correct motor was damaged in an earlier crash and this one was fitted as a temporary measure I'm hoping to fit the correct one again before the weekend. Much of the twist in the airframe is as it came out of the box, the stabilizer was so bad that I have tried to straighten it 4/5 times, initially it was so bad that operating the elevator caused the stabilizer to move about 30mm at each end as it tried to straighten the bent hinge line, eventually the elevator ripped off at the hinge line before the model had flown. Needless to say I'm not very enamoured with the quality of Multiplex components. Hopefully I will have more to report on Sunday, a friend who is a BMFA instructor is to try to fly the plane.
I think you need to do some research on foam planes. Many come out of their boxes like that but can be easily fixed.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Well I finally sorted the right turn problem! The right wing was dropped when viewed from the front and aligned with the stabilizer, this was cured with a balsa packing (about 1-2 mm thick ) under the wing where it fits into the fuselage, the left wing also needed a packing about half as thick.. I've also straightened the stabilizer with a 2 mm carbon rod along the hinge line.
The first flight with the BMFA instructor resulted in him having to apply full down elevator to stop the plane trying to somersault, this was resolved with re-trimming and resulted in several successful flights. The instructor was really impressed with the model in spite of 24 mph wind and he being a committed i/c man. Must say I'm dead chuffed I was beginning to think it would never fly!