HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Walthamstow
Joined Jun 2011
53 Posts
Question
How to grease flex shaft correctly?

Hello Guy's. I have recently purchased a flexi shaft kit for my boat.

So my question is? how should I take care for my shaft to prevent excess heat resulting damage, like rotorkilla had recently. I have a Teflon liner in my shaft, so can I just spray whole shaft and its parts with WD40 or I need some special grease
madptj is offline Find More Posts by madptj
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Steps? What steps?
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Jan 2010
223 Posts
WD-40 is not a good lubricant, it is a solvent/water remover. The most common cable lube is some kind of marine grease - I'd recommend using an R/C boat-specific product like those by Prather, GrimRacer, etc.

The cable should be fully coated before each day of running, then the cable must be removed after each day, wiped/dried off, and NOT stored back in the boat's stuffing tube! Otherwise it will rust and eventually break.

zozer is offline Find More Posts by zozer
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:15 AM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
What? Don't leave the flex shaft in the tube?

This the first time I have ever heard this being done.

The flex shaft in my K & B outboard has been in the leg for the past 10+ years without removal OR re-greasing & it doesn't have one spec of rust.

I also never remove it from my Genesis & nobody here has said to do what you suggest Zozer.

Am I missing something here or does everybody do this?
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:16 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,445 Posts
I pull mine after every day of running, wipe it down and store it in the hull of the boat until within a day or two the next planned running. Then I grease them up and reinstall them in the tube.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:54 AM
Palma Sola,Fla.
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
See above.
osprey21 is offline Find More Posts by osprey21
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:34 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
Don't waste your money on "special" grease, for the same price as a little tub you can buy a 1 pound tub of water resistant grease, I paid 4.99$ for the last tub I bought.
BTW I'm almost positive the Grimracer grease is just automotive CV joint grease, looks, smells and feels the exact same.
90w gear oil is also a good lube, some people use a mix of the two.
I usually pull the shaft at the end of the day and leave it out, just makes me go over the boat before I take it out next time.
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Walthamstow
Joined Jun 2011
53 Posts
As I can see replies are different. Some doesn't take their shafts out at all some every time.. So the Teflon liner is not enough, with a small addition of lubricant?
madptj is offline Find More Posts by madptj
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Blackburn North
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
You too Bill?

Why didn't anyone tell me this before??

Geez.
mozzyrocks is offline Find More Posts by mozzyrocks
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
I've run nitro boats since the late 70's . I always take the shaft out after a day at the lake , wipe the old grease off then spray it with wd40 or a like product , regrease with marine type grease reinstall it , and I haven't used a Teflon liner as all they do is cause added friction . I always regrease after a heat race because most of the grease is washed out after one run . Just my opinion .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:16 AM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
I never use liners either, pulled the one out of my Motley Crew before the first run. Started that way in the 80's and never had a problem. I have seen drivelines explode when the teflon liner melts and wads up.
I just have a after run maintenance routine I've been using for years. Everything gets a good once over, I hate losing a days running due to something I should have noticed at home where I have the tools and time for any kind of repair.
Esc, fail safe, bushings, linkages, seals. All that stuff is checked at home when I re install the drive shaft the night before boating.
Then I just have to grab the boats and head out the door knowing they'll run.
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:47 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
Teflon lines are useless, just remove the shaft after each run or every couple of runs, wipe it dry with a clean cloth, then smear grease over the shaft and i then use a syringe to apply grease into the end i will insert the shaft into. I then insert te shaft while spinning it to work the grease i syringed in down the tube.
rotorkilla is offline Find More Posts by rotorkilla
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:06 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,264 Posts
Most of my boats have a teflon liner but a couple don't. I cant tell the difference really. I've never had a problem with the liners overheating or binding up.
But like most others I remove the shafts, wipe them down & store them in the boat. Then regrease & install on the next race day. If the boat does more than three runs in a day, I will regrease it after the third run.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,077 Posts
I've read somewhere, must be OSE or so, that when you buy a flexyshaft and stuffing tube that you must buy a thinner diameter stuffing tube if you intend to run it without a liner. Now I read here that some of you remove the liner, effectively making the stuffing tube a liitle oversized. Are there no negatives when its removed?
SARCFAN is offline Find More Posts by SARCFAN
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
There's more space for it to whip, and also for water to come up the stuffing tube. It won't necessarily be a problem, but it could.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:48 PM
Wave Riding Vehicles
Louisburg,North Carolina
Joined Jun 2009
1,643 Posts
i do as many have staighted with grease but i purchased a boat along time ago and it was used for racing and the shaft was greased with a mixture of 50w motor oil and something else, i cant remember what but ive never greased that shaft again,, it is always oily when i pull it out to check it !!!!!! wish i could remember what the mixture was i cant even find 50w motor oil and i work in a shop..
HYDROJERRY is offline Find More Posts by HYDROJERRY