HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Discussion
AMA and park flyer type aircraft...

Didn't know where to put this, so I'll ask it here. What's the deal with AMA rules and flying park flyer type aircraft at non-AMA club fields? So many fly in city parks, community centers, school parking lots, unfinished housing developments, etc... Does "full member" AMA insurance cover this type of flying? I think I read somewhere that it does as long as R/C flying isn't expressly prohibited (i.e. signs posted) at the area and the planes had to be under 2 pounds or something. I'm talking mostly Parkzone/Hobbyzone type foamie planes. However, I did just pick up a Blade 450 helicopter, so I'm wondering what the rules are for off-AMA site flying.

Yes, I did look on the AMA website, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance!
mhunter is offline Find More Posts by mhunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Post your question in the AMA forum, and you'll get the answers you seek quicker. Most of the members of RCG don't belong to the AMA.

http://www.rcgroups.com/ama-academy-...ronautics-180/
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:27 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,923 Posts
I'm pretty sure as long as it's not prohibited and not near any airports (without telling them), that it is ok. You should probably get permission from the land owners or the city if it's public property.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
You should probably get permission from the land owners or the city if it's public property.
Why? I fly at a community center that MY property tax dollars pay for. People do just about everything there. I should not have to ask, especially if there is NOTHING prohibiting R/C flying. I'm sure those kids flying those fast as hell stunt kites didn't ask anybody and those things could do some serious damage.

Also, damn it...figures... I renewed on-line and just now found out about the Sep 15th thing for getting the whole next calendar year. There was ZERO mention of this during the on-line renewal process. I emailed them about canceling and just renewing again in a few days. We'll see what they say. I don't want to have to dispute the charge with my bank...but I definitely WILL, if necessary.

I'm not paying $58 for a full open membership...for 3.5 months.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:49 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
They discount the next year if you sign up late in the year.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Basically flying following the safety code and are not trespassing (have permission), you are covered.

As for permission in city parks, you may need to check closely that model aircraft or RC is not prohibited by various city rules or codes.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Basically flying following the safety code and are not trespassing (have permission), you are covered.

As for permission in city parks, you may need to check closely that model aircraft or RC is not prohibited by various city rules or codes.
I don't "need permission". I'm not trespassing. I have a legal right to be there. I even drive through a gate with a welcome sign for all residents to enjoy the center. THAT's my "permission". Again, if it WERE posted regarding R/C flying...then your comment might have some validity but, as is, it doesn't. Besides, would you really trust some city government drone to back you up later on if they said it was "okay". Heck, they probably wouldn't even remember...or just deny, deny, deny...

I've been to the town hall website and read every code, statute, law, whatever regarding my small city. I did it right when we moved here. There was nothing referencing R/C of any kind anywhere.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:58 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
Why? I fly at a community center that MY property tax dollars pay for. People do just about everything there.
I'm not challenging you here, I agree with you in principle.

However, that argument never wins and if someone takes a huge nitro to the local park and slams it into a bunch of kids playing ball, that someone goes to jail (and should) and no organization will support him.

Laws need to take the lowest common denominator in mind, hence the 2lb, electric and under 60 mph come into play. The AMA figures $250,000 will cover the damage you can do with that.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
However, that argument never wins and if someone takes a huge nitro to the local park and slams it into a bunch of kids playing ball, that someone goes to jail (and should) and no organization will support him.
If it were ruled an accident, why would someone go to jail? Sued, yes, but criminal charges? I don't think so...

Quote:
Laws need to take the lowest common denominator in mind, hence the 2lb, electric and under 60 mph come into play. The AMA figures $250,000 will cover the damage you can do with that.
Really? You sure about that last part? Right from the AMA website...

Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets
$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors

I see the coverage has gone up. I remember it being a million bucks when I was a kid flying in the early '80s.

And, that's perfectly fine about the 2lb limit. I asked about foamy park flyers and small electric helis. You should know that, by AMA definition park can NOT be nitro powered, so that's not even an academic issue in this discussion.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
If it were ruled an accident, why would someone go to jail? Sued, yes, but criminal charges? I don't think so...

Really? You sure about that last part? Right from the AMA website...
$250,000 is the Parkflyer coverage, anyplace, anytime as long as you are within guidelines.

So, you take a nitro turbine to central park and drive it into a grandstand full of concert goers, you think the NYPD is going to let you go home that evening because you said it was an accident?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
$250,000 is the Parkflyer coverage, anyplace, anytime as long as you are within guidelines.
I asked about a FULL membership in my OP...not the limited park flyer one. Please try to stay on topic and relevant.

Quote:
So, you take a nitro turbine to central park and drive it into a grandstand full of concert goers, you think the NYPD is going to let you go home that evening because you said it was an accident?
Not in retarded NYC. They probably DO have laws against flying in the city, ESPECIALLY Central Park. They'd trump up some Homeland Security BS charges to tack on, as well. You know it... And, you're getting RIDICULOUS with your hypotheticals. D.C./White House lawn next or something?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Yeah, I guess you're right.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I guess you're right.
If you say so.

Seriously, your Central Park example with a "nitro turbine" (whatever what is...no such thing, turbines don't burn nitro/glow fuel) was pretty ridiculous and completely outlandish. I was talking about going off in some large field/area with very few people or no one else around...like pretty much everyone else does with park flyers...and you know it... Not smack dab right downtown in one of the top 3 most populated cities on the planet.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:22 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
No, I would not take the word of a city employee.

But MANY cities have, buried in the rules, prohibitions against model aircraft in public parks.

And when did you research the local rules and laws? They do change.

And I never said you needed to get specific permission for city parks, I siad that you needed to make sure your operation is legal. And AMA coverage in parks is not limited to park flyer models. Coverage is limited to park flyers, IF you are a park flyer member.

But remember, one requirement of the AMA safety code is a flight line with control of spectators to be behind the line.

From the AMA Safety Code found here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

Quote:
Model aircraft will not be flown:
(a) In a careless or reckless manner.
(b) At a location where model aircraft activities are prohibited.
Quote:
3. At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place (AMA Document #706-Recommended Field Layout):
(a) Only personnel associated with flying the model aircraft are allowed at or in front of the safety line.
(b) At air shows or demonstrations, a straight safety line must be established.
(c) An area away from the safety line must be maintained for spectators.
(d) Intentional flying behind the safety line is prohibited
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
Willie T is online now Find More Posts by Willie T