HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:45 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Discussion
Giant (MONSTER!) scale flying boat: Savoia Marchetti S.66

Did a cursory search around RCG and found nothing on this amazing project. It is also featured in the Oct 2011 copy of MAN.

How about a 18.5 foot, 114lb flying boat powered by 3 DA 50 engines?

Plus, they picked a very off the beaten path subject, the Savoia Marchetti S.66 flying boat. (To the best of my knowledge, and I have done some research, this is the first R/C model ever done of the S.66. A friend and I have been doing some preliminary design on an 80" electric power version.)

An amazing project, for sure. The model is so large that they seem to have converted a boat trailer to haul it around...

According to the video, the model seems to have impeccable water handling traits when taking off and landing.

Link to MAN blog about the monster S.66:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...e-flying-boat/

Plus a couple of pictures from the blog and a link to a youtube video about the model:

Savoia-Marchetti s66.avi (4 min 58 sec)
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:11 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,773 Posts
Magnificent.

There is nothing better in a scale model than to see it flying at a scale enough speed to easily be mistaken for the real thing.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, FL, Lake Wales
Joined Nov 2005
19 Posts
Hi Thomas
Thanks so much for posting the Info on the 66 .
Paul Sage and My self designed and built it and it has been a very rewarding project. More info on the 66 Can be found at our web site .
http://mysite.verizon.net/resq6d1h/teambreen/index.html
you mentioned working on a 80" version let me know if there is any info I can help you with.
We plan on having plans for the 18' version available around the 1st of Oct. And I am thinking about rescaling our plans to around 120" shortly after the first of the year. ( I have a few projects I need to get done first
The plane really does handle very well on the water. To take off you just push the throttle forward and hold a little back and it takes off basically on its own. When it comes time to land you just get the hull bottoms level with the horizon and water then just hold it there as the speed bleeds off and when the plane touches the water hold a little back pressure till it slows and that's that. To me the most amazing thing about the way this airplane flies is how easy it is to fly as long as you give it a lot of room . Thanks again for Posting the info on the 66 and let me know if you have any questions.
Mike
Teambreen is offline Find More Posts by Teambreen
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,459 Posts
Fantastic! What a wonderfull model. Love the sound of those engines .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambreen View Post
Hi Thomas
Thanks so much for posting the Info on the 66 .
Paul Sage and My self designed and built it and it has been a very rewarding project. More info on the 66 Can be found at our web site .
http://mysite.verizon.net/resq6d1h/teambreen/index.html
you mentioned working on a 80" version let me know if there is any info I can help you with.
We plan on having plans for the 18' version available around the 1st of Oct. And I am thinking about rescaling our plans to around 120" shortly after the first of the year. ( I have a few projects I need to get done first
The plane really does handle very well on the water. To take off you just push the throttle forward and hold a little back and it takes off basically on its own. When it comes time to land you just get the hull bottoms level with the horizon and water then just hold it there as the speed bleeds off and when the plane touches the water hold a little back pressure till it slows and that's that. To me the most amazing thing about the way this airplane flies is how easy it is to fly as long as you give it a lot of room . Thanks again for Posting the info on the 66 and let me know if you have any questions.
Mike
Welcome to RC Groups!. Glad the post about your model brought you into this great site.

These days, it is rare that such a magnificent effort in R/C escapes notice for this long in the on line communities. Surprised that the blog over on the MAN web site did not bring more notice.

That was one awesome subject that you chose, one of my favorite seaplanes. Richard Ng and I have been doing a little predesign and planning for a 6-7 foot electric S.66 with a planned weight of about 5-6 lbs....a little bit smaller and lighter than yours....
Thanks for the offer of suport...greatly appreciated. We do have a great drawing of the aircraft. A very nice and accurate 1/72 scale drawing was published in an Italian aircraft magazine a number of years back and Richard scored a copy of this mag. We have enlarged it and done a little doodling towards the model. Plan is to use 6 mill depron for the ribs, formers, hull sides and hull bottom, balsa and spruce for spars and hard points, 3mil depron for wing and hull top sheeting, plus enough carbon and other structure to keep it all together. Will likely use K&S aluminum tubing for the engine nacelle support structure.

We might get seriously going on it this winter.

Do you guys have other seaplane projects planned?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Sep 13, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
19 Posts
Thanks For the welcome. I could have sworn I have posted on here before I Joined this sight way back in 2005 but according to my post number this is only my second on here.
Any way we never really meant to keep the 66 a secret or anything I have just not been very active on any of the forums. I have a horrible spelling problem and punctuation problem and am not real comfortable posting. I read really well but I write Really Bad HA Ha I hit spell check and smoke rolls out of my computer. 
Thanks again for the complement on the 66 we were really looking for something different to model . Paul had the Idea of Modeling the SM55 and we started doing research on it and found that it had been modeled so we decided to build the 66 and it kind of took on a life of its own from there.
The way you plan to build your s66 sounds really great I think the design really lends itself to using Depron on the hull sides and that sounds like a really nice size range. Do you mind me asking what motors you are thinking about using?

Right now Paul Is Building a Curtis Seagull that he and I designed it has a 144” span and will be powered by a Big Hacker out runner. Also I have Just started working on (cutting the parts out for) an Aeronca C-3 master PC3, Witch was the wider fuse version of the C3 on floats. It will have a 19’ span and I am still debating about what Eng. To use on it. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will try and post a few of Paul’s seagull if not there are some pictures of it at this link.
http://mysite.verizon.net/resq6d1h/teambreen/id40.html
I think I was able to attache a few pictures but there are more at the link above

sorry for being so long wended
Mike
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Guys,

Teambreen,

Sir(s) Without doubt this is a fabulous aeroplane, your design, building and flying skills are above master class.
Congratulations to all involved in this fantastic project that has resulted in such a beautiful flyingboat.
The video is great, I loved the launch into the water and after landing (alighting) with the trailer, very practicle and way cool.
The aircraft layout does give excellent water and airborne handling properties.
I quickly viewed the photos on your web site, brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing.
Good luck with your future projects, please convey my respect and admiration to the members of Teambreen, especially your Dad.

regards to all,

Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2005
19 Posts
Hi Guys
A friend of ours put together a slide show he made of The s66 flying that we have now posted on YouTube the link is.
Sage_Breen SM-66 (5 min 58 sec)
Last edited by Teambreen; Oct 02, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
42 Posts
Beautiful plane. Looks like Lake Rosalie or Walk in the water.
flgamma is offline Find More Posts by flgamma
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
690 Posts
At first glance at the second pic it looked to me like he was standing on the wing! Then I looked closer..................
Martin5465 is online now Find More Posts by Martin5465