HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:41 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
Discussion
Anyone Notice the Q6 Charger looks like the one on Hobby Kings site ?

Common sence rc vs Hobby King ? they look exactly the same ?
Below is the Common sence one , i will post the Hobby King one
Operating Voltage Range: DC 11 to 15 Volt
Power Source: 12V DC (car battery - AC/DC Power Supply (>200 Watts)
Charge Power: 50 Watts, current is regulated accordingly - eg. 11.1V battery: charge current approx. 4.5A, 22.2 V battery: charge current approx. 2.2A
Discharge Power: 5 Watts, current is regulated
Cell Count: 1-15 NiCd/NiMH cells, 1-6 LiPo/LiIon/LiFe cells, 1-10 Lead-Acid cells (2-20V)
Current Drain Balancing (LiPo): 300mA/cell
Charge Termination (NiCd/NiMH): Automatic, negative Delta Peak method
Charge Termination (Lead-Acid/Lithium): Automatic, voltage-dependent, CC-CV process
Dimensions: 9 in. x 6 in. x 2.5 in.
Weight: 38-1/2 oz. (1.09 Kg)
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
hobby king version for $99 vs the $159 from common sence , so the cost is not that differant
Specification:
Operating voltage range: DC 11~15V
Power source: 12V DC (car battery) / AC mains PSU (>200Watts)
Charge power: 50watts, current is regulated accordingly
e.g. 11.1V battery, charge current approx. 4.5A
e.g. 22.2V battery, charge current approx. 2.2A
Discharge power: 5 Watts, current is regulated accordingly
Cell count : 1-15 Ni-xx / 1-6 Li-xx / 1-10 Lead acid cells (2~20V)
Current drain for balancing li-xx: 300mA
Charge termination Ni-xx: Automatic, negative Delta Peak method
Charge termination Lead acid & Li-xx: Automatic, voltage dependent, CC-CV process
Dimensions: 225.4x158.6x62.4mm
Net weight: 1.09kg
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:14 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,792 Posts
I notice that all my Astro 109's look the same! What's going on here?
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:13 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Quote:
hobby king version for $99 vs the $159 from common sence , so the cost is not that differant
Sorry but ................ what ? does noone learn basic math anymore????

That is a 60% cost difference as in 159 is 160% of 99.

I guess a car that cost 80K is really not much more expensive than one that cost merely 50K. or a $50 LiPoly is not much differnt than one that cost a mere $30.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
Charles , thanks for the math lession, what would be better is a lession in education on ..... is it safe for the differance in price ?
For $60 dollars is it worth it , that is the more important question.
I buy many things from Hobby King and typically the differance is very high but not typically tied to safety , so my question is more about the accuarcy of the charger for a $60 differance.
So while you spent a deal of effort showing your incredible eduaction in math , can you elaborate of the performance of the charger is that beyond your southern hospitality?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:42 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Now that the math lesson is over, it's time for the spelling lesson.

Download the ieSpell program. It's a free spell checker program. After you've written a post right click anywhere in the message box to check your spelling before you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

When the program corrects your spelling, make a note of it for future reference.

KC

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET
Spelling checkers keep those of us who never won a spelling bee from looking like high-school dropouts. IESpell's spelling checker for Microsoft Internet Explorer provides a safety net for interactive message boards and Web-based e-mail.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Sep 12, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
Thanks KC , do you frequent RC universe as well lol ?
You two guys are the best , reminds me of the best of RC .
Really brave when emailing and playing on a computer , wonder if the hormones would be the same in person ?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:15 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
all kidding and spelling aside, in this day and age when it seems like everything is "made in china" it can be hard to tell he difference between pieces of hardware. it seems like there are several versions of a gadget being sold as one brand or another.

when it comes down to electronics though, all things being equal, you do tend to get what you pay for. given that, it makes common sense that when two pieces of equipment look alike, yet one is roughly one third the price of the other, that the cheaper one is most likely a clone.

clone items are rampant in china given their rather lax view on copyright policy, patents, intellectual property, and etc..

that being said.... its also possible that the HK charger is actually the very same unit repackaged as a "house brand" by the vendor that makes the charger for the various branders. so.. the answer is "use your best judgement."

if you feel the HK charger would fit your needs and you are willing to take the risk on possibly buying sub-standard hardware or that which could have questionable Q/C go for it. you could hedge your bet and come out right. if you do, let everyone know so we can get cheap chargers too.. because just about everything in this hobby is excessively overpriced.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
Joe , great post and I appreciate the feedback. I actually import goods from China in the CPG market so I know exactly what you are talking about.
I have taken chances with HK products, I guess with lipos and chargers I have the major fear factor that the lipo charger is not reading or putting out the correct info.
As far as appearance they look the same, so your guess on clone is probably correct.
I have taken chances on the 2.4 orange receivers and have had great success with very low cost, so I guess I have to way the wisk on this unit.
Thanks again
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Charles , thanks for the math lession, what would be better is a lession in education on ..... is it safe for the differance in price ?
For $60 dollars is it worth it , that is the more important question.
I buy many things from Hobby King and typically the differance is very high but not typically tied to safety , so my question is more about the accuarcy of the charger for a $60 differance.
charles doesn't have one but I do.
Look at the HK reviews for any charger of interest. Bad ones are shot down pretty quickly. I have the HK Quattro 4x6 and absolutely love it. Charges 4 packs at a time. Got over a years use on it so far.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:54 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,774 Posts
Hoppy, thank you sir , now we are getting some great info, I did not think to look at the reviews, thanks again , I really appreciate the information !!!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
I too have noticed many items that Hobbyking sells actually look like name brand products we are so use to seeing.
I've noticed that several chargers look identical that hobbyking sells vs. name brand chargers we usually see and know of.
Take the Bantam charger and look at the display screen vs. Hobbykings.

Bantam: http://bantamtek.com/00_eng/02_pro/s..._name=BC6DX-II

Hobbykings: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Charger.html

Notice anything similar? Agreed that the chargers are not the same type, but the software and display screens are.

In my opinion, Hobbyking just changes up the charger configuration and clones the name brand manufacturers software and or mainboards.

Jim
Wornpiston is offline Find More Posts by Wornpiston
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:21 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
I typically only purchase items from Hobbyking if the reviews support the product.
If there are several reviews one after the other that are negative and one or two here and there that are positive, then I know to stay away from that product.

I use Hobbyking Lipo batteries of many different sizes and outputs and have yet had one fail on me.
Same goes for their Turnigy Plush ESC's. Keep in mind I only said their "Plush" series ESC's. I couldnt vouch for their other series ESC's.

I say save yourself the $60 you could save if the reviews support the charger's worth.

Jim
Wornpiston is offline Find More Posts by Wornpiston
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:25 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,696 Posts
Quote:
In my opinion, Hobbyking just changes up the charger configuration and clones the name brand manufacturers software and or mainboards.

That's if you assume the "name brand" came first.
The HK Quattro 4x6s was the first on the market and the others followed. The Hitec version almost a year later. IMO, HK with the sales volume it has, gets first shot at a lot of products.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy