HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Question
Victor Models? What's up?

I'm recently intrested in "Victor Models" Mary J or Ruby

But the Victor models website has been down ever since I discovered these models a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone know what's up with them? Says they will be back but that's a long time to have a site down....strange

Also I have only found one dealer (Great Hobbies) that carries Victor Models, are there any other dealers that carry them?

Thanks
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:32 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
They are moving their factory back east, I don't remember the state. They will reopen once the shop is set up in the new facility.
Brad-
nikram58 is offline Find More Posts by nikram58
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:36 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
303 Posts
I placed an order with Victor on Aug 14.Then I noticed that the website was down so I called to find out what the deal was. I talked to Ruby and she told me that they were moving to Louisiana and planned to have the business back up and running the first week of Sept. She did assure me that the business going to continue to operate once they get set up. Be patient.
Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep an eye on their site then.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:38 PM
RC Sailboat Builder
Sarasota, FL
Joined Aug 2007
33 Posts
I notice that the plastic Soling 1 meter hulls that I bought in 1997 have become brittle and crack if stressed. I will be ordering replacement hulls. That is a very long time
for such a good model boat that is easy to build and has captured the attention of many
clubs here in Florida. They stand up to high winds and are also good in light air, too.
I look forward to Victor Model Products reopening in Louisiana
MiltonThrasher is offline Find More Posts by MiltonThrasher
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Glad to hear you speak highly of Victor Models because I just oredered the Mary J from Great Hobbies.

I just hope the hull lasts a lifetime for me..........on the bright side 14 yrs is a lot longer than some of the planes I have parted with LOL

I wonder if dryness and heat have a play in the hull cracking, we are mild and moist up here near Vancouver.....maybe the plastic might fair better here.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:47 PM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
How much sun and how much heat are the main factors affecting polystyrene deterioration. Plus, banging the boat up while racing. I've heard tell the half life of raced S1Ms in Florida is about 7 years.
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
How much sun and how much heat are the main factors affecting polystyrene deterioration. Plus, banging the boat up while racing. I've heard tell the half life of raced S1Ms in Florida is about 7 years.
Epoxy/fiberglass/wood full scale boats with a "natural" finish require a good coat of varnish to prevent UV degradation. Wonder if the same would work to protect the plastic of the Victor boats?
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:30 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
I'd say a lot depends on the UV stabiliser used in the raw polystyrene/ABS used to mould the hulls. It would seem logical to apply a good coat of opaque paint, on the basis that, when the coat eventually degrades, another coat can be applied.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:18 AM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
The aromatic evaporation rate is more dependent on temperature than anything else. Paint retards evaporation somewhat, but the aromatics still pass through the paint. Besides, few people paint the inside of their boats.
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:41 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Polystyrene is one of the lower forms of plastic used for RC Yachts. ABS is several levels up from Polystyrene.

Painting a Victor Polystyrene hull will reduce the UV attack for years. A little wax now and then, even longer.

Polystyrene is less expensive than ABS and therefore reduces the raw cost of the boat. You will fine lots of toys are make of Polystyrene for that very reason. ABS is more durable and has higher resistance to UV. ABS will last longer if it is painted as well. Fiberglass is even better.

I had a V 32 and was always concerned about cracking the hull - not from the sun, but from just transporting it from home to the lake. I never did, but it was a concern.

Honestly, unless you leave your boats outside in the sun and in the weather -the life span could be decades. With thin hulls of Polystyrene, my concern would be cracking from expansion and contraction from extreme temperature changes more than from UV attack.

Boomer

ABS is derived from acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene and carbon. Acrylonitrile is a synthetic monomer produced from propylene and ammonia; butadiene is a petroleum hydrocarbon obtained from the C4 fraction of steam cracking; styrene monomer is made by dehydrogenation of ethyl benzene — a hydrocarbon obtained in the reaction of ethylene and benzene.

The advantage of ABS is that this material combines the strength and rigidity of the acrylonitrile and styrene polymers with the toughness of the polybutadiene rubber.

The most important mechanical properties of ABS are impact resistance and toughness. A variety of modifications can be made to improve impact resistance, toughness, and heat resistance. The impact resistance can be amplified by increasing the proportions of polybutadiene in relation to styrene and also acrylonitrile, although this causes changes in other properties. Impact resistance does not fall off rapidly at lower temperatures. Stability under load is excellent with limited loads. Thus, changing the proportions of its components ABS can be prepared in different grades. Two major categories could be ABS for extrusion and ABS for injection moulding, then high and medium impact resistance. Generally ABS would have useful characteristics within a temperature range from 10 to 80 C (50 to 176 F).

Polystyrene ( /ˌpɒliˈstaɪriːn/; IUPAC poly(1-phenylethene-1,2-diyl)) also known as Thermocole, abbreviated following ISO Standard PS, is an aromatic polymer made from the monomer styrene, a liquid hydrocarbon that is manufactured from petroleum by the chemical industry. Polystyrene is one of the most widely used plastics, the scale being several billion kilograms per year.

Polystyrene is a thermoplastic substance, which is in solid (glassy) state at room temperature, but flows if heated above its glass transition temperature of about 100 C (for molding or extrusion), and becomes solid again when cooled. Pure solid polystyrene is a colorless, hard plastic with limited flexibility. It can be cast into molds with fine detail. Polystyrene can be transparent or can be made to take on various colors.

Solid polystyrene is used, for example, in disposable cutlery, plastic models, CD and DVD cases, and smoke detector housings. Products made from foamed polystyrene are nearly ubiquitous, for example packing materials, insulation, and foam drink cups.

Polystyrene can be recycled, and has the number "6" as its recycling symbol. The increasing oil prices have increased the value of polystyrene for recycling. No known microorganism has yet been shown to biodegrade polystyrene, and it is often abundant as a form of pollution in the outdoor environment, particularly along shores and waterways especially in its low density cellular form.
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 17, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:38 AM
SKPERFRANK
mmoraine Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikram58 View Post
They are moving their factory back east, I don't remember the state. They will reopen once the shop is set up in the new facility.
Brad-
Ahoy
I ordered a new set of sails for my V-32 right before they closed down. scince her husband passed away I forget his widowers name but she is from Baltimoore Maryland I believe she will set up shop there. no longer in california.
skipperfrank is offline Find More Posts by skipperfrank
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
303 Posts
George's widows's name is Ruby.
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:26 AM
SolingRacer
Northern Ohio
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
Ruby is her name- but she is from Louisiana- and that is where Victor will be reformed. Date is unknown- she/they originally said by September 1 and obviously that did not happen.

No one has heard from them, other than the post on their website "We are moving..."

As far as I know the LAST Soling One Meter kits available were at Leading Edge Hobbies, in Kingston, ON; and the last one there was bought over the weekend by a guy in our club.

If anyone knows of any other S1M kits available, unbuilt, let me know- we have a guy in the club who wants one.
Mike Wyatt is offline Find More Posts by Mike Wyatt
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Mike Great Hobbies (PEI) has a couple by the looks of it.

VICTOR MODELS AT GREAT HOBBIES

I just ordered the Mary J Ward from them (coming from their Edmonton shop), had a bit of a hassle though as their system messed up and forgot to charge HST and I had to make a second payment to cover it. But the communication was good both by them phoning me and also answering my emails promptly. If your in the states there will be no HST I'm more than sure.

Cheers

Brent