SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:08 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,814 Posts
Discussion
What Are The Different Types Of Lobster Boat Hulls

QUESTION!!! How many types of Lobster Boat type hull shapes are there that are now being used in the business. The reason for the question is that I am trying to figure out what types of hulls would be allowed in the Lobster Boat races that take place every year in the new England States.

I know that they have classes for different lengths of hulls as well as number of batteries used, and whether the boat is powered with a brushed or brushless motor system, but there is no mention of the type hull bottom that is allowed on the entered models.

I have seen Lobster Boats here on the forum which have the typical entry at the stem of the round bottom displacement hull, (like the Midwest Model Lobster Boat), but then progress to that of a hard chine planning hull as you move toward the transom of the hull. It would seem to me that that hull would have an unfair advantage over the full round chinned , as much as a brushless motor system would have over the brushed system.

Any one with some input on the subject, don’t be bashful, inquiring minds want to know. Besides I plane on making the trek to New England in the future and don’t want to come empty handed for the races.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:46 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,101 Posts
Rich, there are as many hull designs as there are boatyards in Maine. I have 4 or 5 different sets of plans and each is different. They range from the Midwest ''Boothbay to the Royal lowell style and the Beals Island as done by Steve Rogers in his book. That hull is narrower in beam then the Booth bay. Then to is the 'Cape Islander'' or ''Novi'' from up north in Nova Scotia. The 30'' Midwest is a good hull and as a sportfisherman is light and fast with only a stock Electrifly HT-600 in it and stock Midwest plastic wheel that came in the kit.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:16 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
[B][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]QUESTION!!! How many types of Lobster Boat type hull shapes are there that are now being used in the business. ]
Rich, for a definitive answer to your question, you should ask John Gill.

He has 114 model boats, and at least a few of them are lobstermen---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,814 Posts
HEY CHARLIE- How goes the good fight. Long time since we have talked. The reason I posed the question is that after viewing the various hull configurations, I think I would be inclined to try one of the hulls that transitions into the hard chine aft to the transom and almost flat bottom at the transom.

This type of hull to my way of thinking would be a lot faster when the stem lifts clear and she runs on her aft planing surface. It would also cut down on the surface tension and the drag of the water wrapping along the side of the round chine like the Midwest hull or the Royal Lowell style hull. As you can surmise I am planning on build a boat to go in competition with the boys up in New England when I go to the Lobster Boat races in the future. I already have the name picked out for the boat, “JERSEY BOYS”
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:59 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,101 Posts
Rich they are using hard chine hulls now along with round chine hulls, Jerome Morris can elaborate on that as can a few of the other Maine guys on the forum. The ''basic'' lobster boat is always evolving specially with the use of fiberglass. The Lowell boat I have plans for is round at the turn of the bildge but is flat at the transom with a round chine.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:39 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,643 Posts
Sorry I only have 1 lobster boat, it's your hull Kap (I think that it's 14-16"). With a round chine. I have worked on and built a few. Most are the Midwest kits.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:21 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,101 Posts
Rich, just a suggestion but if you build a 30'' Midwest boat either the boothbay or Cranberry Isl lobster yacht (SAME HULL) and instead of rounding over the chine area as the plans say, just leave it sharp and you will have the hard chine your looking for. I've seen several done that way.
Charlie
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:03 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,814 Posts
CHARLIE- I have been looking at some other lobster boat types who’s shear from the side is the same as a Booth Bay lobster boat but from over head, carries her widest beam all the way to the stern with out falling in at the transom. This gives the bottom foot print almost that of a planing speed boat hull with about 2/3 of the hull lifted free at full speed.

Like I said, I am searching for the different types of hulls and checking out their performance before I commit to a design. I know I will be building her light using light ply and balsa construction, which I am very familiar with. If the hull is a success in its performance, I will probably put the plans up on RC groups for free since I have no intentions of making a kit of it, but only after I have my shot with her in competition.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
QUESTION!!! How many types of Lobster Boat type hull shapes are there that are now being used in the business. The reason for the question is that I am trying to figure out what types of hulls would be allowed in the Lobster Boat races that take place every year in the new England States.

I know that they have classes for different lengths of hulls as well as number of batteries used, and whether the boat is powered with a brushed or brushless motor system, but there is no mention of the type hull bottom that is allowed on the entered models.

I have seen Lobster Boats here on the forum which have the typical entry at the stem of the round bottom displacement hull, (like the Midwest Model Lobster Boat), but then progress to that of a hard chine planning hull as you move toward the transom of the hull. It would seem to me that that hull would have an unfair advantage over the full round chinned , as much as a brushless motor system would have over the brushed system.

Any one with some input on the subject, don’t be bashful, inquiring minds want to know. Besides I plane on making the trek to New England in the future and don’t want to come empty handed for the races.
Hi Frank

I may be a little late getting in on this thread but I would like to add my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I live in MA over by the coast and have always been fascinated by them. Especially fast ones. One of the faster and more influential ones remains can be seen on the "Rumery Boat yard" site. If you have not already done so go to your search engine and type in "Rumery's Boat Yard". Once the site is up go to the column on the right and click on "Leonard W, History and Design. The pictures are what she looked like when taken out of the water for the last time. She was designed and built in the mid 40's by Will Frost, who most historians consider the father of the modern lobster boat. She was fished almost year round for around 50 years and was raced almost every year as well, As the history notes, she was far ahead of her time below the water line. In her prime she was capable of better than 40 knots. One of the most amazing things was most of the work done to make her as fast as she was was done by the owner himself, Gus Alley.

I have carved a half-hull to approximate the shape of the hull as close as possible from the picture on that sight. I will attach photos of my progress so far. So far I am quite happy with the results. I have tried to remain true to the original design as possible, but have lengthened the flat area aft to help get higher in the water at speed. I think it will work out well.

I hope this reply gets to you and adds to your information on fast lobster boats and aides in your decision about what shape to go with.

Picture #1 shows the carved half-hull with the keel and frames ready to be mounted to the build board. Picture #2 shows the frames and keel mounted and some of the planking in place, and Picture #3 shows the planked hull ready for finishing.

Bill
DDWILLIE is online now Find More Posts by DDWILLIE
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:12 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,856 Posts
Those planking clamps are brilliant! Nice looking build so far!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:20 PM
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Oct 2011
2,816 Posts
Hi, looks good, most kits today are the midwest.
Where are the races?
Band1 is offline Find More Posts by Band1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tug
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:35 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,338 Posts
Great story Bill.

"Along with his speed fetish, Gus Alley was known to be a prankster. Alley installed two four barrel carburetors on the V-8 engine, with a line from the wheel house to one of the carburetors. Running at full bunny with only one carburetor open, Alley would insist that his passenger pull the line, opening the second carburetor and throwing the unsuspecting passenger into the back of the cockpit."
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:00 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,101 Posts
Carl, that hull above by ddwillie would be very fast even with a round chine area, lots of flat bottom to ride on and good in a turn. The keel would make it very stable.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:23 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2011
140 Posts
Lobster boats

Hi Guys!

I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing the "Leonard W" get underway a good number of times when I worked in the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The shop I worked out of was just across the Back Channel from where Gus Alley docked the "Leonard W". That boat looked fast just tied to the dock! I worked at the shipyard for just over 17 years, and the boat was still in pristine condition at that time. Not a line or piece of gear out of place. It was NOT what you saw on the Rumery Boat Yard site.

Gus always ran the largest American V8 that he could get his hands on and souped it up the way he wanted it himself. He never ran an engine more that 2 or 3 years. He was a true down east lobsterman. I believe he passed away in 1992 or 1993. He truly was a legend in the word of lobstering.

I think one of the saddest ironies of this whole story is the fact that the designer and builder of this style of hull, Will Frost, has been kind of overlooked. He was born in Nova Scota and came to this country in the early 1900's. I believe he was pretty much self taught, but was a brilliant designer/builder and WAAAAY ahead of his time. Time was money for these people, thus the need for a faster. safer boat. The end result of this quest was his first boat of this design, the "Redwing". I have been unable to find out much about this boat other that it was a torpedo stern, I believe, and was the forerunner of the "Leonard W". His design is viable to this day and still one of the most beautiful and functional hulls ever made in my opinion. I wish I knew more about these 2 men, but information on them seems to be very hard to come by.

Bill
DDWILLIE is online now Find More Posts by DDWILLIE
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Hi All

New to this , please advise where I can get hold of plans for the Booth bay or similar I am based in JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA

Many thanks

Theo
seager is offline Find More Posts by seager