HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:08 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Ok on with the build.

After putting your rails in for the servo cases you need to brace the two skins to each other so as not to break the rail off the balsa skin when screwing into the hardwood

Pic shows the brace, just scrap balsa either side tucked under the hardwood beam.

Servos installed and finished with linkages all locktited to the rods and in place, nice and neat!

Wings are on, rudder fin epoxied on, and fan is now mounted so I can lay out the gear and fit the exhaust and ESC into place.

I cut the canopy along the molded line only to find its slightly undersize in length now! So will be asking HET for some spare canopies and will make a note of this for people ordering the kit, dont cut the back of the canopy to its finished length until you lay it over the frame and fuse and measure.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:05 AM
Australia, New South Wales, Sylvania
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Mark,

I should have mentioned the canopy... Same problem here.
It doesn't matter though because the canopy is broken now anyway, not sure how though, maybe hit something mid flight because it came down cracked.

Am modding an old canopy to suit now.

Would you believe I managed to squeeze a 4s 4000mah battery into mine, its a very tight fit but because I shortened the fan mount to help the cg I am able to fit it. The downside is that it is considerably nose heavy which makes for interesting landing.

I have to say that I love this plane. Its so easy to handle yet has a great turn of speed and loves a bit of wind. (sounds like my ex)

So you are not far from the maiden... Am interested to see what sort of speed you get out of your setup.

Cheers
Spoont is offline Find More Posts by Spoont
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:38 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
Ohh yeahh!! It's looking sweet Mark. Can't wait to see this in person and in flight.
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:11 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Well I had a productive week so far, yesterday rebuilt a Topgun Mirage for a customer installing a stumax fan, and today finished the Komet off completely!!

Ok so here is what has transpired...

Battery: Very frustrating trying to fit something in between the formers, ended up with a 3200 4s1p 35c pack as the best fit and compromise. I velcroed it down on the back and one side at an angle in the bottom of the fuse, its pretty permanent in there, no amount of shacking upside down moved it. I added an extension to the balance lead so it can be balance charged inside the model easily.

Fan: The ARC2848 is too hot for a 3200 pack, dont want 2 min flights and cooked cells so I built another fan with HET 2W18 in it, 55-60A is a better scenario, plus another customer has flown one with this in it and reckons its pretty fast

I made a new thrust tube up from Spotlight plastic sheet, this is a real nice weight of plastic, makes a very firm tube but not heavy. Its expensive though and I need to find a supplier of the film in bulk.

LIGHTNING 80A ESC installed on top of the duct with the heatsink side in the duct just, hole cut to take the side of the ESC, taped into place. They never get hot like this and the duct looks clean as from the inside.

Exhaust is at 53mm, should be a nice balance of thrust and speed. She has more power than weight when vertical so things are looking good for a maiden this weekend!

Oh and I found no issues with the construction of the fuselage or the formers, the fan mounts are solid and well glued in, the whole kit went together well, and I would recommend doing the same with the battery as its just as easy to charge it in the model and at a 4c charge rate you are good to go in 20 mins.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Summerholm
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
Hi Mark,
Thanks for posting the pics. I have one of these as well- i bought the 2-25W from you a few months back. I was stuck on how to mount the servo's and ESC. Your ideas have helped with my build!
I wanted to purchase some of those servo cases from you. Can't find them on the website.
Would you pm the link if able.

I gather you've mounted the rx in the fuselage and that's the wire we can see coming out behind the canopy?
I plan to install 2x3s either side of the thrust tube velcro'd in front of the wing CF brace hole.
Cheers
jungle is offline Find More Posts by jungle
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:06 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Looking pretty good - I'm also interested in this model.

About the battery situation - I was wondering - what about running it on 2x 2S in serial and placing the batteries on either side of the duct?
It's a bit hard to tell exactly how much space is available on either side of the ducting but would this work?
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
Looking pretty good - I'm also interested in this model.

About the battery situation - I was wondering - what about running it on 2x 2S in serial and placing the batteries on either side of the duct?
It's a bit hard to tell exactly how much space is available on either side of the ducting but would this work?
The 3S 3300 batteries i'm using are 143mmx43x19. They fit in ok. I plan to use velcro on the bottom of the battery to hold in place, as well as another velcro strip to stop it moving laterally.

2x2s will fit very easily.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:01 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
2s3200 packs would have just fit in the sides as I tried all the various combos in there.
They would have been resting on the main former with the wing spars and the edge of the fan mount assembly up front. Then they would have required panels made up and epoxied in to support them as the area is not flat enough to hold decently with velcro, a lot of work just to get a removable pack setup in it.

The distance between the former assemblies is limiting, and putting the battery up higher was something I wanted to avoid.

Servo cases are HERE
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7 Posts
Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:32 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Flies great! Came in at 1200 grams all up, CG was pretty well on the 90mm mark and it does feel nose heavy like this, could easily go back 5mm or more, lots of down for inverted flight and quite hot on landing.

Launch was a good throw nose slightly up, she left Munce's hand straight and stayed true, dropped a little then I pulled up and awa she went, one of the smoothest hand launches for an HET model I ever experienced.

Lots of roar from the intake due to the sharp edges, might try filling around the intake duct and fuse with epoxy to build up some material then sand the intake back to a rounded edge.

I would say she is doing around 120-125mph on 850 watts, climb is awesome, with around 1.4-1.5kg thrust she climbs out forever vertical. Can fly it at half throttle too, even down to a 1/4 throttle it was quite manageable.

Will get photos and video on the weekend.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:01 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
It was a beautiful sight to see. Can't wait to see it flying again.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:04 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
any chance of a video down the track
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:07 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Munce has some shocking i-tard cam video I think where is it Vince??

I am really enjoying this model, hope Munce takes his time paying it off LOL. Actually got orders to build more for the locals, I think I need to get cracking on my Mirage with Jetfan90 first!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:57 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Munce has some shocking i-tard cam video I think where is it Vince??

I am really enjoying this model, hope Munce takes his time paying it off LOL. Actually got orders to build more for the locals, I think I need to get cracking on my Mirage with Jetfan90 first!
Lol don't you worry. You still have at least two weeks of fun with the Komet before its mine

HET RC Me163 EDF RAW vid (3 min 43 sec)

Now if only someone would get video of that HET 1.8 meter flying wing.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:46 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Nah we will set it up on your radio this weekend, cant hold onto it forever

I dont know of anyone with the HET wing flying yet, I reckon it will be a good flyer though, HET build models to fly not look at.