HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotseater View Post
I finally got around to investigating the cause of my last crash. I initially thought the receiver to be the culprit, but I've revised that to the esc. I connected the receiver to another esc/motor and.it worked fine. I tried this esc and nothing. I cut away the heat shrink and removed the heat sink and.saw that the multi-pin connector that connects the two circuit boards was broken. You can see the area in the picture at the end of the pointer. This esc has been in multiple crashes in the first 2 ME163's. This area around the connector had some burned look to it. Not sure if this was cause or effect. Nonetheless she is resting in the esc bone yard now along with airframe number 2. I've got the intake duct issue squared away and the launcher pin installed. Also have some battery blocking/supports installed inboard of where the batteries are going to rest. I'm struggling with esc installation with an emphasis on cooling. My only concerns about installing in the thrust tube the HET shows in their instructions is a decrease in efflux and the constant movement of the motor sites caused by the forces of positive and negative G's. Of course, the way I fly and crash it may not make any difference.
My crash got expensive also.
Lost my ICE 75 lite ($100) one of my 65C TP 2c 2700mAh ($55)

I didn't put the ESC in the thrust tube. I can't imagine it not causing a drastic decrease in efflux. I'm using an ICE 100 lite so cooling shouldn't be that critical.

Komet # 2 ready to fly. Almost launched it yesterday but winds where dead calm. Have had my best launches in a stiff head wind. Will be working on a carriage system for the maiden flight. Watched youtube video of the Komet taking off of grass! No wheels just scooting along the grass. Would be a bit worried about sucking grass in the fan.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Good luck with the maiden. I'm interested in your 2w-18/Wemo setup performance. I'm still going to try my 2w-25/6904 setup since I never got it off the ground the first.time. speaking of crash cost.... I lost my HET 75a esc $75, 2650mah 5s battery, $50, airframe $125+-, confidence in my Spektrum receiver $???, all the fab time putting together $???, But, I guess if it was still flying I would be working on another plane. So one way or the other it is going to cost a little to stay in the hobby. If we didn't love it we wouldn't keep doing it??? Or, possibly, we are all just insane????
Hotseater is offline Find More Posts by Hotseater
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,726 Posts
The thread aint called build log for nothing! There is a pic of the thrust tube and esc setup near the start of the thread, page 2 I think.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Extreme, I went back and looked at your post on the thrust tube/esc mounting. I can't tell if you cut out a rectangular section of the tube or just some round holes underneath the esc. You were using some better thrust tube material than I have. All I have is the thin flimsy stuff from HET. I made a mock up tonight using the thrust tube from the crash. I cut a section of the tube out and taped the esc to it heatsink side down toward airflow. I haven't run it up to see if it flaps around or holds together. Baby is sleeping... We will see tomorrow.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:48 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,726 Posts
I cut a hole the size of the label/heatsink on the ESC, it protrudes a little into the duct, taped into place which seals it pretty well. You should be able to find some acetate sheet, printers seem to have lots of the stuff, its worth getting a big sheet of it for future thrust tubes.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Trying this tonight. Looks clean from inside tube. Extreme, do you get any more thrust from a Wemo rotor vs Het rotor or is less amp draw the only benefit all other things being equal (thrust tube, motor, etc) ? I have both. Was going to try both when I get a chance.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:23 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,726 Posts
The wemo is a little less pitchy, but run them at the same power levels they are very close to each other. I like the wemo because its easier to set up and get running dead smooth, sounds better, and can handle poor ducting better. 2W18 with wemo is 800w, 2W20 with HET is 750+w, compare the two the wemo is faster in the air for sure, 125mph vs 135mph+ in my F16.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think I will install the Wemo rotor. I've only spun it up once and it had a vibration around 20% throttle, but increasing thru to WOT it smoothed out nicely. I may need to just play with the adaptor a bit. Not sure why the vibration wouldn't be noticable to some degree throughout entire throttle range???

DB, hows the 2w-18/Wemo?????
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,235 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I think I will install the Wemo rotor. I've only spun it up once and it had a vibration around 20% throttle, but increasing thru to WOT it smoothed out nicely. I may need to just play with the adaptor a bit. Not sure why the vibration wouldn't be noticable to some degree throughout entire throttle range???

DB, hows the 2w-18/Wemo?????
it is out of balance the whole way through the range , it just shows up more at certain revs , get it correct and it will be better at all settings.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,726 Posts
Hold the rotor and turn the nut with a 10mm spanner, this moves the shaft adapter position in relation to the rotor, turn it a few degrees and then test, keep doing this until you find the sweet spot, then fit the spinner and do the same thing. If the spinner is too tight run the fan at lowest speed and use a little nailfile board to skim the edge of the rotor where the spinner sits, you want it so the spinner can be just turned by hand but is tight.

Rotate and test with spinner until you find the best spot, if there is still some small vibe then use tape on the spinner, find the light spot, transfer tape to inside at that point, continue until you get it right.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Thanks Extreme and Chuck. I heated up the Wemo shaft adaptor and put it on the shaft of my 2w-25 and ran the motor without the fan housing and rotor. The shaft adaptor seemed to be out of round. It didn't seem like it slide all the way on to the shaft. So, I measured the distance that the motor shaft should slide into the adaptor and I didn't have it down far enough. Long story short, I corrected this issue and cleared up most of the vibration with the shaft adaptor. I still have a very slight vibration, but I think maybe the shaft on the motor may be bent slightly. I ordered a new shaft/rotor from HET about a month ago and replaced the original shaft which was way bent. Anyways, the Wemo sounds great and I can't wait to hear her in the air. I could only get about 1.5kg of thrust out of it which is basically the same that I got out of the HET rotor. I did some cleaning up on the esc/motor wiring. I cut out a couple Deans connectors and some bullets and just soldered everything. Hopefully I will be able to get propor CG with these 2650 x2 batteries. They weigh approximately 440grams together.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:54 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Got my carriage finished for the komet. I think it might work.???
I might get a chance to try it out tomorrow.
Using 90# fishing line through the eyelets front and back.
We have a fabric runway so it should roll easy.
Will have my Gopro head cam on.

D.B.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Good luck DB. Any concerns about falling off trolley before airborne?? Are the eyelets to keep you straight down the runway??
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,235 Posts
+1, and did u give the trolly any toe in ?might help stay straight
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:55 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Good luck DB. Any concerns about falling off trolley before airborne?? Are the eyelets to keep you straight down the runway??
Definitely have a few worries about that and other possible scenarios which might send me cartwheeling down the runway! Eyelets are for 90# fishing line. Not sure if I'll need this, maybe I can get the trolley to run straight with wheel adjustments like Chuck said. I have the tail wheel lightly wedged between foam so it will pull out on lift off. Thought of putting a small dot of Velcro on the wings to keep it from ejecting prematurely. ()
The runway at our club is smooth so hopfully it won't be bouncing around much. Just hope 125' is enough runway. Tomorrow looks like the day so I should have some video.

D.B.