HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotseater View Post
I know what you mean. The first one I got was pretty decent quality wise. The second not so much. I hope I have all the bugs worked out on my end. Hopefully HET will do there part. I just received a new rotor/shaft for my 2w-25 today. Was thinking of running it in the next 163. Has anyone replaced a HET rotor/shaft like 2w or 2w-25? I was wondering what you used to glue the end cap back on with? Thanks.
Have the 2w-18 and the mini fan pro ready to go in the ME163. Hope to have it in the air next week.
D.B.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:10 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
ME 163.2 ready to go! Went with the Mini fan pro with the HET 2w/18
2- 2s 2700 65C
600watts Very smooth sounding.
I'm thinking of building a carriage for the ME 163. It would be guided down the runway on a 90 # mono filament line ran through eyelets front and back on the carriage. Has anyone tried this?

D.B.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:19 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
good luck!!
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:16 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
Only 600w? hmm, whats the amp draw? Usually you will see 800w with the 2W18, the Komet has sharp intake edges so will drop off a little in static testing but still I would have thought 700w at least. My last test was around 55A and almost 14.7v under load.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:05 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
maybe the smaller battery is somewhat limiting the current? or that smooth intake i like this light setup similar to what i will do , might try the cs10 on 4's . i will be watching to see how this one goes.

so what have u guys done for strength at the exhaust/ fin area ? mine is so weak at that point and the fin so bent over i dont know what to do . i keep looking at it and putting it back in the box. maybe i just got a reject, but it's a lousy deal.

chuck.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Only 600w? hmm, whats the amp draw? Usually you will see 800w with the 2W18, the Komet has sharp intake edges so will drop off a little in static testing but still I would have thought 700w at least. My last test was around 55A and almost 14.7v under load.
It could have been the batteries I used. I'll try again with a newer lipo. I have the timing set at 18 and the pwm at 16Khz. Using an ICE Lite 100amp ESC (overkill)?
I have a Jetapult bungee but haven't had that good of luck using it. Most likely I didn't have then hook set up right. A bit paranoid of hand tossing after several bad tosses with my first 163.
D.B.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:20 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
maybe the smaller battery is somewhat limiting the current? or that smooth intake i like this light setup similar to what i will do , might try the cs10 on 4's . i will be watching to see how this one goes.

so what have u guys done for strength at the exhaust/ fin area ? mine is so weak at that point and the fin so bent over i dont know what to do . i keep looking at it and putting it back in the box. maybe i just got a reject, but it's a lousy deal.

chuck.
My fin was bent over on my first 163. I used my heat gun to VERY carefully heat it up and strighten it. Worked perfect. Just don't over heat it.
D.B.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:48 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. Hooper View Post
It could have been the batteries I used. I'll try again with a newer lipo. I have the timing set at 18 and the pwm at 16Khz. Using an ICE Lite 100amp ESC (overkill)?
I have a Jetapult bungee but haven't had that good of luck using it. Most likely I didn't have then hook set up right. A bit paranoid of hand tossing after several bad tosses with my first 163.
D.B.
fwiw , after many tries to find the right bungee info i came upon a great method for single hook placement.

it has worked flawlessly on many different setups and we dont even use a launch ramp of any type, just the bungee.

here's the deal, i make some kind of a tempo hook attached to a small piece of wood or ? then rubber band the hook / plate to the plane. with the battery loaded and the plane cg balanced , i hang the plane by the hook on a string . then u move the hook forward and aft until u get the angle of attack from vert u want on the launch. i like 15-20 degrees and where it hangs seems to be exactly what u get on launch, makes sense as thats the spot it's being pulled from.

and , i agree this one has bungee launch written all over it. even as simple as we do it , the launches are boringly consistent.

chuck.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
Your timing and PWM is high, PWM should only be raised if the motor is ironless, which most of our motors are not. 12 would be what I would run, high PWM will cause the esc to run hotter.
For timing, around 5-7 degrees, going high with timing on HET motors yields an increase in amp draw with no real change in RPM, I tested a few setups including this one at all the timing levels and found this.

Oh and Hand Launch with this setup and that size batt should be easy as pie, the two I have built for others both had 3200 4s packs in them and HL easily into a light breeze up, I wouldnt want to fly this thing with no wind, doesnt like to slow down
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Nov 06, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:50 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Your timing and PWM is high, PWM should only be raised if the motor is ironless, which most of our motors are not. 12 would be what I would run, high PWM will cause the esc to run hotter.
For timing, around 5-7 degrees, going high with timing on HET motors yields an increase in amp draw with no real change in RPM, I tested a few setups including this one at all the timing levels and found this.
I thought it sounded high but thats what HET recommends. I'll change it and test again. Thanks.

Changed the timing and PMW to 5 and 12. Tested with 4s 4000mAh 25 - 50C nano-tec
850 watts , 60 amps. Made a huge diffrence! Might just fly right out of my hand.
D.B.
Last edited by D.B. Hooper; Nov 06, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Jun 2012
157 Posts
DB, sounds like you are on your way. I feel the same way about the hand launch. Actually, I refuse to hand launch mine again.... I received my 3rd ME-163 today. I wish I had the confidence to HL like the other guys, but I guess you do.what works.for you. I wonder if the esc settings that ExtremeRC helped you with is applicable to other HET motors or if it is with just the 2w-18?? I too have been programming my esc per HET's recommendation.
Hotseater is offline Find More Posts by Hotseater
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:12 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
The motors are all made in the same mold so to speak, so it applies across the board from my experience. DB that sounds perfect power wise, a good stiff toss slightly nose up should have you climbing out no problem.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
157 Posts
I'll change my esc settings after a bit. Have to work out an issue with the intake duct. I ordered a couple heat sinks for my esc's and I think they may be a little too big....
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:10 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotseater View Post
i'll change my esc settings after a bit. Have to work out an issue with the intake duct. I ordered a couple heat sinks for my esc's and i think they may be a little too big....
lol!:d
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
157 Posts
I finally got around to investigating the cause of my last crash. I initially thought the receiver to be the culprit, but I've revised that to the esc. I connected the receiver to another esc/motor and.it worked fine. I tried this esc and nothing. I cut away the heat shrink and removed the heat sink and.saw that the multi-pin connector that connects the two circuit boards was broken. You can see the area in the picture at the end of the pointer. This esc has been in multiple crashes in the first 2 ME163's. This area around the connector had some burned look to it. Not sure if this was cause or effect. Nonetheless she is resting in the esc bone yard now along with airframe number 2. I've got the intake duct issue squared away and the launcher pin installed. Also have some battery blocking/supports installed inboard of where the batteries are going to rest. I'm struggling with esc installation with an emphasis on cooling. My only concerns about installing in the thrust tube the HET shows in their instructions is a decrease in efflux and the constant movement of the motor sites caused by the forces of positive and negative G's. Of course, the way I fly and crash it may not make any difference.