HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:54 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,719 Posts
The fury's are simply lander fans, the rotor is chinese design, you are better off with a Wemotec, lighter, better engineering and performance. The weight is an issue in the front, balancing can be a pita as the thrust tube takes up much of the space. Minifan and 2W18 motor is one of the nicest combos around for power vs weight.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
The fury's are simply lander fans, the rotor is chinese design, you are better off with a Wemotec, lighter, better engineering and performance. The weight is an issue in the front, balancing can be a pita as the thrust tube takes up much of the space. Minifan and 2W18 motor is one of the nicest combos around for power vs weight.
I'm going with your advice. My first 163 flew nice with the Sapac set up but it was a real handful to get in the air. Love flying this EDF.
Thanks for the info.

This was my best flight with my first 163
HET ME 162 Komit (4 min 18 sec)

D.B.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Last edited by D.B. Hooper; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
DB, nice flying and nice video. Do you have a head cam?? I fell off of this forum for a while after I crashed my second ME several times on launch. I accidentally bought the prop version. I used my het 2w-25 and a 4.75x4.74 apc on 4s. I bent the shaft a little. Vibration was horrible.... I had a 2w laying around for another project and decided to use it with 4.1x4.1 on 3s. I finally got her up in the air. This plane flies great!!!!! The 2w is 4600kv and only designed for 50 amp max. I have been putting 65+ amps to it. The motor comes down cool, but my esc is smoking hot. Throttle management is a must. I think I have been going at it all wrong by trying to stuff this thing with extreme performance stuff. The one I'm flying now weights in at only 960 grams with a 2650 mah 3s sky lipo. It is very stable and hand launchable with no problems. I do have the other edf version hanging on the wall and thinking of trying to squeeze a.90mm change sun fan in it. I would have to cut an access hatch in the top aft section of the fuse and have the batts forward under the.canopy for ch to work. I would guess she would be way heavy 1600+ grams???. But, I haven't even been able to get the 1300 gram beast off the ground so this may be unrelistic.. This fan is working well on my fiberglassed Stryker. Thrust is just a tad over 5lbs on 6s. Sound is the best part about it.
Hotseater is offline Find More Posts by Hotseater
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
DB, this is much cheaper. http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/RC-...EDF68-1A43.htm

Or you could go this route with a wemo rotor.. http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/Sky...-SKYJP-70S.htm

Or you could get 6.5 lbs thrust from this one. Pretty pricey though.. http://www.effluxrc.com/All-Alloy-70...0-9H-28317.htm

I wish the latter was in my budget!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,719 Posts
Seeing as this is my thread, I will respond to all the links you just posted...

1st one, basic lander fan, heavy, and doesnt have the performance or efficiency of the wemo rotor or fan unit.

2nd one, looks like skyworld has changed the die for their cheap casting once they realised the intake section was too short to house any of the quality rotors available, looks like they have added a screw on intake, problem with this housing is the stators are not very well made, the motor mount is weak compared to a CNC machined housing, and the mounting tabs are very small, I would not rely on them to hold that fan in place long term. Plus the rotor is a chinese one, so for 70 bucks on special you are not getting value for money, especially when you can buy a full CNC housing of the highest quality with genuine Wemo rotor set for 80 bucks elsewhere.

3rd one, expensive, heavy with the recommended motor, and power hungry, note there are no power figures listed anywhere, but the fan sucks 120A/2682W to get the thrust, so where are you gonna put a 5000mah 6s pack in the EDF Komet?? Certainly wont get it to balance!

The Wemo minifan is the best quality 70mm fan out there and good for setups to 1200-1400w, and for really high power the Extreme CNC alloy housing with Minifan rotor is about the best value combo available.
The HET 2W18 motor is lightweight and high quality, 1.5kg thrust in the minifan at only 800w is great performance.

If you want serious power like your 3rd link, compare this, CNC Alloy fan with Wemo rotor and HET 1W40 = 2.7kg thrust sustained at 93.6A/1955W, thats 5.95lb, find me anything that can match that watts/thrust/cost. The combo is only $165.00!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Crikey!!!! Didn't mean to strike a nerve. Your cnc fans are awesome from what I read. I would really like to put one in a HET 70mm F-16 if they still sold them.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,719 Posts
Didnt strike a nerve I just wanted to give some straight up info on the products you listed, if it wasnt my thread I couldnt do it I am not trying to sell D.B anything, he can get the wemo fan and 2W18 locally in the US no problem. The CS10 setup works well in the Komet too, a little heavier as you need to use a longer can motor to keep the fan happy, but still flies it close to the wemo and it sounds really cool.

As for F16's grab a P3 one, about the same size, easier to work on, with mods and glassing its every bit as good, and you guys can buy them for peanuts over there, I cannot even land them for what HP often discounts them to!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Didnt strike a nerve I just wanted to give some straight up info on the products you listed, if it wasnt my thread I couldnt do it I am not trying to sell D.B anything, he can get the wemo fan and 2W18 locally in the US no problem. The CS10 setup works well in the Komet too, a little heavier as you need to use a longer can motor to keep the fan happy, but still flies it close to the wemo and it sounds really cool.

As for F16's grab a P3 one, about the same size, easier to work on, with mods and glassing its every bit as good, and you guys can buy them for peanuts over there, I cannot even land them for what HP often discounts them to!
Have the Mini fan and the 2W18 on the way! Can't wait to get this EDF back in the air!
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm still pretty new to the hobby and don't know which fans/motors are best yet. I am starting to learn that it is not necessarily all about thrust, but amp draw, weight, efficiency are equally important. You guys appear to have done extensive testing various setups. I think that is great to reference when trying to decide what to buy. DB, let.us know how the Wemo performs. I have a Wemo rotor that I bought from a RC Groups member, but I need to get a shaft adaptor. I hope.to get a flight.in today at lunch. Kinda.windy today, but the.wind.really.helps me with hand launching.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
RIP ME 163 #2. 3rd one will be a charm. Good luck DB!!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:03 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,229 Posts
ouch!! that looks like a serious soil sample. rip.

chuck
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:38 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,719 Posts
Ouch alright! Bummer, what happened?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
I guess the receiver crapped out on me. I made a fast pass, went vertical, rolled and was heading back to mother earth. When I pulled back I had nothing. It seemed like it was in slow motion. I think I was less than 1000ft away from where she bit the dust. I have several "good" receivers installed in other planes that I never fly. For some reason I decided.to install an old receiver in the ME. I actually had about 10 flights with this receiver installed with no problems,.but something failed to cause the crash. I'm actually ok with it. She was pretty beat from the.other crashes. I may order another edf version this afternoon... I'll keepyou posted.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:27 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotseater View Post
I guess the receiver crapped out on me. I made a fast pass, went vertical, rolled and was heading back to mother earth. When I pulled back I had nothing. It seemed like it was in slow motion. I think I was less than 1000ft away from where she bit the dust. I have several "good" receivers installed in other planes that I never fly. For some reason I decided.to install an old receiver in the ME. I actually had about 10 flights with this receiver installed with no problems,.but something failed to cause the crash. I'm actually ok with it. She was pretty beat from the.other crashes. I may order another edf version this afternoon... I'll keepyou posted.
sorry to here that, fwiw dont expect to much from the edf version , mine at least was a real let down , quality wise. nothing like my tractor version. u might want to check out the thread .

chuck.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
159 Posts
I know what you mean. The first one I got was pretty decent quality wise. The second not so much. I hope I have all the bugs worked out on my end. Hopefully HET will do there part. I just received a new rotor/shaft for my 2w-25 today. Was thinking of running it in the next 163. Has anyone replaced a HET rotor/shaft like 2w or 2w-25? I was wondering what you used to glue the end cap back on with? Thanks.