HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:10 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Build Log
Extreme RC's build of the HET ME163 Komet EDF

Well I finally pulled my finger out, and a box out, and started on the little Komet!

I will outline the plans for the bird first, all the parts going into it etc, then get into the build. The basic plan is for a hot 4 cell Komet, a setup that can use a couple of 2200-2600mah 4s packs in parallel, piggy backed on either side of the ducting, or a pair of 3200-4000mah 2s packs in the same spot.

LINK TO HET ME163 KOMET
SETUP:
Wemotec Minifan PRO & ARC2848-1 motor
Platinum PRO 100A 2-6s ESC
SAPAC MSD65M digital MG servos
Perfomance of this fan is 1400 watts and 2kg thrust on the bench.

Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Sep 11, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:19 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Ok first up wings.

I have decided to install some servo cases into the wings, I have a new shipment of parts from HTG and I ordered a few dozen of these servo cases with covers, they are used in the larger gliders and the Sapac MSD65 servo drops in perfectly, Hitec HS65 is the same size.

So first picture shows the hole cut out to the size of the case, the hole needs to be slightly wider, so I cut away a strip towards the LE, IE the thicker part of the wing chord.

Then I sat the trays in the holes and scribed out around either end of the tray in order to open the holes up to the full tray size including the mounting tabs.

Reason for this is I want the trays flush with the wing skin so when the covers are fitted they are flush against the wing.

I then cut some spruce strip, 1/2" wide, 1/8th thick and 50mm long (2") and used a new exacto knife to slice foam out of either end of the cutout exposing the balsa skin.

Epoxy the spruce strips against the underside of the balsa sheeting, do one at a time holding it firmly in place, 5 min epoxy obviously needed here

Once the strips are in the servo tray sits in perfectly, and can be securely screwed to the hard wood.

Covers sit neatly over the top as you can see in the last photo, and can be painted with some Tamiya bright red to match in.

I think the end result is worth the few $$ for the cases, and makes for a neat streamlined instal.

Tomorrow I will sort out the horns and finish off the wings and then prepare them for epoxying to the fuse.

(Apologies for the photos, main light blown in workshop and it was dark outside!)
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:34 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
Excellent! Looking forward to this build thread, through to the maiden flight. Should be screamer, like the prop'd version
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Yes I am interested in this too.

I like those servo cases!
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:06 PM
Australia, New South Wales, Sylvania
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Hi Mark its Shawn,

I have about 30 flights on mine now. Other than a hand launch gone wrong (don't try it) I have had nothing but great flights.

I am running a 2w-18 on 4s with HET FAN and one of your alloy shrouds. Dopplered it yesterday at 161kh (if i got it right) from a rather poor video taken on my phone.

This is one of the most stable planes I have owned (and I have owned a few).

One thing I would recommend to enyone who builds it is to add a contrasting colour to the bottom because the all red does not aid orientation. Also, since my failed hand launch I have used the bungee 100%.

Back to your build.
Spoont is offline Find More Posts by Spoont
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:12 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Thanks Shawn, nice to hear some feedback, how did you go with your CoG? Another builder in SA had some issue getting the CG forward enough with the same setup as yours, albeit he was using the plastic shroud so a little lighter.

Seems a little slow at 160k though, that setup does 135+mph in the F16, and the komet is not too draggy. If you can get some video up that would be great, and some readings of amps and watts after 20 seconds or so to stabilise.

Sorry guys I have not been able to get back onto it, had a heap of backorder stock come in and there are like 12 fans waiting to be built, my new 2445 motors came in for the GWS 64mm fans and there are half a dozen of those needing to be built and balanced alone, gonna be busy again tomorrow but hoping to finish the wings off and then get them slapped onto the fuse and start planning the layout of the guts.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:32 AM
RA-TA-MA-HAT-TA
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined Feb 2010
3,278 Posts
All good Mark. Its much better to build it once and build it right, rather than rush through it all.

And Spoont.. Love the DP rofl
munce31 is offline Find More Posts by munce31
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:47 AM
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Mark,

To get the CG right I moved the fan mount forward by 5mm which involved carefully trimming the intake ducting with the dremel. I built a battery box from light ply which is positioned so that i get the CG right every time.
As for the speed, the run was done with a well used pack. I managed to get out again today and this time used one of your race packs. The difference was remarkable.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your build. I am sure this airframe will scream with a power system set up by someone who does it for a living.

Cheers
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:48 AM
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Hey Munce,

Leave my mum alone....
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:29 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
cant wait to see how this baby flys ive had my 28 48 1 (with heat sink) and wemo from extreme for a few months now and i have to say these ARC motors are fantastic!!

Ive even been very bad too as i run it on 5s 3300 30c in 5 - 6sec bursts and she still didn't get any hotter (don't try in summer maybe) although the hobby king batteries are not up to the job i increased about 200 watts from my eflight 4s 3600 the HK 5s battery dropped a cell after 3 flights.

back to 4s lol, any way the Me163 on arc 28 48 1 has to go hard!!
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Aug 2007
448 Posts
Here are some photos of my ME-163.
Not exactly an EDF this baby uses a 60 pound thrust rocket motor!

X-30
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:59 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
OMG now thats wild!
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:07 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
Where's the video of that!!!!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Stevenson Ranch
Joined Feb 2008
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Where's the video of that!!!!
Where did you get the servo cases?
Ricky2117 is offline Find More Posts by Ricky2117
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky2117 View Post
Where did you get the servo cases?
Ditto! I woud sure like to purchase a dozen.

Pete
hole digger is offline Find More Posts by hole digger
RCG Plus Member