HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:16 AM
Joined Apr 2003
273 Posts
Discussion
Electrifying a 1:4 vintage Ka8

Hi fellow model builders.
I am building a Ka8 from Cliff Charlsworth plans and plan to electrify it for flat field flying.I need some help from someone with experience to sizing the motor and prop. The model is a 4m wingspan and I guess it will come out between 3 to 4 kg max AUW. The Idea is that it should be able to climb gently to height so do not need any rocket motor. I have previously electrified a 1:4 scale Neuport 28 and it flies beautifully on electric.

Any one who can share some experience would be appreciated.

Cheers
Gert
GNieuwoudt is offline Find More Posts by GNieuwoudt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:30 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What do you have in the Neuport? What does it weigh?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:51 AM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNieuwoudt View Post
I am building a Ka8 from Cliff Charlsworth plans and plan to electrify it for flat field flying.I need some help from someone with experience to sizing the motor and prop. The model is a 4m wingspan and I guess it will come out between 3 to 4 kg max AUW. The Idea is that it should be able to climb gently to height so do not need any rocket motor. I have previously electrified a 1:4 scale Neuport 28 and it flies beautifully on electric.

Cheers
Gert
Weight and wing area and climb rate desired? ie - get to 200M in 30sec, 60 sec or ?
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNieuwoudt View Post

Cheers
Gert
Here's some ideas that will allow you to retain the scale nose shape.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...83&postcount=9
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56