HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:08 AM
Joined Apr 2003
274 Posts
Discussion
Electrifying a 1:4 vintage Ka8

Hi fellow model builders.
I am building a Ka8 from Cliff Charlsworth plans and plan to electrify it for flat field flying.I need some help from someone with experience to sizing the motor and prop. The model is a 4m wingspan and I guess it will come out between 3 to 4 kg max AUW. The Idea is that it should be able to climb gently to height so do not need any rocket motor. I have previously electrified a 1:4 scale Neuport 28 and it flies beautifully on electric.

Any one who can share some experience would be appreciated.

Cheers
Gert
GNieuwoudt is offline Find More Posts by GNieuwoudt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:04 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,868 Posts
Did you post in Electric Sailplane's aswell?
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
I had the same idea with my 6 meter Ka tell me were you
Going to go motor in the nose or the scale motor on a stick?
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:56 AM
Joined Apr 2003
274 Posts
I will put it in the nose as I do not have an idea how to put it on a motor mount. I will make it removable to change to a earotow mode when available.
Cheers
Gert
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:11 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Richmond, BC. Canada
Joined May 2003
193 Posts
I have a 1/3 scale Ka-8c from Thermal Studio. Flies great!!

5 Meter Span
7 Kg
Hacker A-50 Motor on 5 cells

Thermal Studio Ka-8c Super Light First Flight (1 min 33 sec)

Flight 2 Ka-8c (2 min 46 sec)

1/3 Scale Ka-8c November 3, 2010 (3 min 50 sec)

http://www.thermal-kobo.jp/item/inde...=grp01&level=5
Airbus is offline Find More Posts by Airbus
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:08 AM
vgk
Sofia,BULGARIA
Joined Jan 2005
24 Posts
Your K8 will be around 4 kg without elctro equipment.I have and fly two 1/4 scale models-ES60Boomerang,from Jeorge Buzuleac plan and DG500 Elan,MPX fuse and wooden wings 4,4 mtr.Both are 4,5 kg. electro version with 4000 mah 4S1P Zippy batery.Motors are Turnigy 42 60-500,propsd -16/10 and 16/8.On DG with 16/8 prop I can climb more than 12 times to 200 mtrs.With Boomerang ,with 16/10 prop climb is more fast,but less times of climbs,I prefer 16/8 prop.Forgot, props are Aeronaut.I have been flying once with 6 cells,climb is like a roket,absolutely unnesecary,cells became so hot to cook eggs.
Please,note the difference in price- Haker and Turnigy motors.
Now I have Flairs K8 to build and will put the same electro in it.No more winches and climbs of 100 mtrs and flights of 2-3 min ,crazy surching for termals.
Finaly,I made all starts from hand,holding radio with my left hand.First starts,with friends help.
vgk is offline Find More Posts by vgk
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
Joined Apr 2003
274 Posts
Hi VGK
Thanks for the much useful information from your experience. This will give me a good start to plan my power system.
Cheers
Gert
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:17 PM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
Gert Nieuwoudt, sounds Dutch.... Are you Dutch? I am building a 1:4 Ka-7 from Modellstudio, which seems to be based on the Cliff Charlesworth plans. I will build a motor in the nose as well. You happen to live in the neighbourhood of Hillegom? Maybe we should have a chat or fly our models together some day.
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:20 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,993 Posts
Gert Niewoud is also a very popular South African name ...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:42 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Hallo Gert,

I just recently converted a Tokolosh (I bet you know it, old local F3J design) to electric using a Hacker A30 (26M I think? I can check for you) running 4S 2200mah lipo and a 10X6 graupner folder. The glider was very beat up when I got it so I repaired it best I could but it gained weight and now flies at 2,7kg. Either way the power system gets it upstairs very respectably, very near vertical performance honestly to thermal height in maybe 8seconds. It goes well. Hehehe

It's a light powerplant in my mind and should work well for your KA-8c. Also you want a smallish prop on a scale glider to not distract too much from the scale appearance. Problem with the KA-8 however is it needs a hell of a lot of nose weight to balance. My 3,5m KA-8B I just built needed 850grams of lead moulded right in behind the nose block (Auw is 2.9kg now). My friend's 6meter one took 3,5kg in the nose alongside the tow release.

So I would suggest if you could maybe go for an extended motor shaft mount which can protrude through the nose with a small folder yoke on the front end. Still though try and get the motor as far forward as possible and don't worry too much about getting a slightly too big motor (Maybe an e-flite .60 or .90??) to just get some weight right up front and you can always under prop slightly with a bigger capacity battery like say a 4s 3000mah as suggested.

It's always tricky on the scale planes because you can never really get the electric stuff which is heavy like the battery right up front. Good luck with the project though! Keep us posted.

Groete,
Rudolf du Toit

For the rest, yes Gert is from South Africa.
spacey is offline Find More Posts by spacey
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2003
274 Posts
As reward for your help here is a photo of the progress so far. Yes I am from South Africa.
Cheers
Gert
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:47 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Groete Gert,
Dit lyk baie mooi, , Gert ek het die Turnigy 42-69 500kv in my 6mtr Nimbus gebruik , en did kan maklik van die grond opstyg . As jy een kan kry sal did jou minder as R300 bekostig.
Sal jou Ka-8 reg wees vir volgende jaar se Sungazer Scale Slope byeenkoms , want dit is die 5de jaar en ons wil ditm spesial maak. ??
Cheers
Mike
Besig met ietsie vir die GEMS PSS naweek op die omblik.
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Last edited by mikegbogh; Sep 15, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2003
274 Posts
Mike your Afrikaans is special. Thanks for the practical info. What size prop and battery did you use. Yes I will have it ready for the Sungazer and hope it had a few flights by then. The Fuz is about 95% complete. Next up is the wings. Hope I can make it for the PSS this year as I have a racing Mustang, the Vodoo, still to maiden.
Cheers
Gert
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:40 AM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
Funny, I can also read the South-African language. It looks a lot like old-Dutch (which is actually is, evolved in its own way).
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:21 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Hi Gert,
Glad you think my Afrikaans is "special" (hope that means it's ok) I do afrikaans reading homework with young Russell everyday .

I Use a 16 x 9 aeronaut carbon prop and a 5s 2400mah lipo , the 6s started making things a bit warm. Norbert has just done a similar setup on his ASW 27 and used a cheap prop 18 x 10 and a 4s lipo with good results , altough his is the higher spec SK Turnigy motor.

It is nice that the people in Holland can follow the Afrikaans , wow Gert you almost cracked an invite to go fly in the Netherlands, how cool is that.

groete Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh