HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2001, 02:39 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
FMS HELP PLEASE!!!!!

God, it seems like every day I use this program, something else goes wrong. My newest trouble:

I finally got a transmitter interface cord. Every time I go to set it up, I go to controls->transmitter. And then FMS freezes. I d/l'd a testing thing, and that doesn't register my transmitter either!! And how do you get into the bios of windows? The tx interface I am using is designed for futaba, and I am using a HiTec. I have been told this will work. What is going on!!

Punker
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:22 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
I can't actually offer much help with the problem but to get into the bios, just turn on the pc and in the begining of the boot it should say hit a key like F2, F3 or del (different pc's use different keys for this) I can confirm the Hitec does work with the futaba interface though, I use it myself.
Best of luck
Dauntae

[This message has been edited by Dauntae (edited 07-07-2001).]
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:27 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Wish I could help, but I am experiencing the EXACT same problem. Tried a while back to get some solutions and none of them worked. You running WindowsME? If so, maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, good luck and if you DO find an answer, I'd love to know what you did to fix it.

Mine:
Hitec Prizm7x with "futaba" style adapter (tried the parallel and serial versions)
Windows ME, FMS (latest)
IBM clone with AMD processor and Voodoo 2 card. Joystick works, TX doesn't. Would lock up the moment I selected the TX input option (except the serial cord which would just not work). The "DOS" TX Interface test program out there would show my TX interface working for the parallel version, but FMS would only lock up hard.

I gave up...

Good luck!
Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:49 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
wow, you are having the exact same problem as me, except that even the DOS testing program won't work. I suspect that it is because my parallel port is not set to the right port, but I need to get into the bios, and I don't knwo how. It doesn't say when I start up. *sigh*
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:53 PM
Midlothian,Texas USA
Joined May 2001
33 Posts
Have ya'll tried to call the FMS customer service #. I was having some of the same problems and different ones. I thought I was going to trash the whole thing. The guy I talked to had to rewright some of the program for me. I wish I got his name, he gave great customer service to me. The program works great now. Hope this helps in some way!
gaduron is offline Find More Posts by gaduron
Old Jul 07, 2001, 04:20 PM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PunkerTFC:
I suspect that it is because my parallel port is not set to the right port, but I need to get into the bios, and I don't knwo how. It doesn't say when I start up. *sigh*
Getting into the Bios has nothing to do with Windows it's down to the PC itself. What make is it ? When it first starts up (on the initial black screen) what does it say at the bottom of the screen while it's counting the memory ?

The reason I don't recommend the parallel port adaptor is because they are so sensitive to the PC settings.

OTOH I've never seen a correctly build serial port i/f fail to run. What problems did you have Cash ? If it simply did nothing at all it's probably not wired up correctly. Several of the web sites I've seen show completely the wrong pins on the trainer socket. Trouble is that it's hard to see what's going on without an oscilloscope.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jul 07, 2001, 05:40 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
UPDATE: IT WORKS!!! albiet a bit twitchy, but it works. A way that I have found to conquer the twichyness is to check the exp (exponential) box next to the channel. This will help to smooth everything out.

This is how I got it to work:

I ran FMS WINDOWED. Then I could get into the transmitter thing. I changed the settings to 0378 in the first pop down menu, and 07 in the one below the first. Then it recognised my transmitter. Like I said, I set up EXP on channels 1, 2, 4 (aileron, elevator, rudder). exp on ch. 3 is hard to work with, as it screws up your throttle imputs.

Happy (Virtual) Flying!!

and I hope this helps

Alek