HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
USA, NJ, Bridgewater Township
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Build Log
Sig Wonder Build Log(w/ pics & vids)

This is my build of the Sig Wonder. It is the first kit a am building solo. I have built multiple ARF's and i realized it's time for a kit. So heres my build. Stay Tuned!
dylang is offline Find More Posts by dylang
Last edited by dylang; Sep 11, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwardude View Post
This is my build of the Sig Wonder. It is the first kit a am building solo. I have built multiple ARF's and i realized it's time for a kit. So heres my build. Stay Tuned!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
The kit has arrived. I'm going to start it later tonight and upload pics of the box, plans, etc.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Cool!
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys, kind of a long week. I broke my finger and i had phone trouble with taking pics. But here is one of the wing and i will give you guys a bunch tomorrow and hopefully more progress. So far i have glued the wings to the top and bottom strut running through the ribs and have all of the ribs in place. The ribs were precut but not very well so i had to do a little cutting myself too. I messed one up and had to use crappy michaels balsa as one of the ribs. I also have glues the leading and trailing edges to the ribs. Currently i am working the balsa that covers the ribs on the front. I am gluing it to the leading edge because it doesnt like to stick to the ribs. I will glue it to the ribs at the end. I am halfway down the wing with this, then i will wet the balsa a bit to bend it over the ribs. So far its an easy kit. I will try to work a little faster now as i get the hang of it.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:44 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,197 Posts
broke your finger?! jesus, how!?
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
I play ice hockey(and no i am not an adult haha)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
It's not absolutely critical, but it's really best if you can get those skins glued to the ribs properly. Go ahead and glue the leading edge first (that's what I'd do anyway), then use a syringe or toothpick or something to put wood glue along the spar and top surface of the ribs, as far forward as you can get it. Once it's all glued up, run a very wet sponge along the top of the balsa sheet and it'll curl more or less into place. Straighten it out and use masking tape to hold it in place overnight.

I built a Wonder two years ago; my first kit as well. It's a very easy plane to build, but can be a very challenging one to fly, depending on your final weight and what you've got for power. I shifted the firewall forward on mine so I could get it to balance with an electric motor; what's your power source going to be?

Just post if you run into any problems; I know I'm not the only one here who has built a Wonder, and there should be plenty of help if you run into problems.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
i got the ribs glued really well from the underside. Thanks for the the tip though. I think i am going to go with a thunder tiger 18 or an os 15LA. Havent decided yet. Any thoughts? One of the ribs cracked while sawing off the rib stands but i splinted it the best i could because there was no way of replacing it. What servos did you use?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
Before I went electric, I was originally going to put an OS 15FP on mine. In your case, I think I'd stick with the 15LA; it's an ounce lighter than the Thunder Tiger but the power output and practical RPM range are very similar, so you should get better overall performance.

I used standard full-size servos, which I would not recommend. If I were redoing the project I would almost certainly use Hitec HS-81 for the ailerons (still a single servo) and elevator. I love those things, because they're well-priced and extremely capable, especially on 6 volts. With so little room to lay things out, you should consider an HS-55 on throttle, or maybe go cheap with an HXT900.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
106 Posts
Hi dylang,
I've built a few wonders over the years (for myself & others & stopped counting after #15) & have used mini servos all round. I also use a servo for each aileron. If you can get the battery pack up with the tank it will balance easier. My last one flew with an OS 25FX and had a 6oz tank. The fuze was 10mm deeper & 10mm longer in the nose than original to accommodate the tank. I've also found that using a slow CA (or aliphatic for more time) helps when gluing the wing sheets.
Ritz is offline Find More Posts by Ritz
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Alright well ribs are all in, leading and trailing edges and sheetings are on on both sides and center sheeting is on on the top and putting it on the bottom is the next step. I also have the WDS in the wing too. So far so good. Did a bit of fine sanding today also to smooth the whole wing out and all the joints. Also did a lot of extra gluing on all of the ribs.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
Looks good so far. Which variation of the wingtips are you planning to do? I did the concave, down-turned tips on mine, which turned out to be way less work than I expected and seem to do some good for my low-speed flight, especially landing. Shaping the tips was just some effort with a rasp and coarse sandpaper glued around a dowel. The covering was the hardest part, and even that didn't take any spectacular efforts to get right.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Can you post a pic of your wingtips? I have never done this before and yours sound cool and efficient. How did you make sure they were the same?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Hi dylang,
I've built a few wonders over the years (for myself & others & stopped counting after #15) & have used mini servos all round. I also use a servo for each aileron. If you can get the battery pack up with the tank it will balance easier. My last one flew with an OS 25FX and had a 6oz tank. The fuze was 10mm deeper & 10mm longer in the nose than original to accommodate the tank. I've also found that using a slow CA (or aliphatic for more time) helps when gluing the wing sheets.
I am not sure if i am going to go with a 15, 18, or 25. I think maybe a 25LA but i am not experienced enough to mod the fuse. What do you recommend for me? I do want this plane to fly fast though, after all it is a jet