HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:25 PM
United States, OH, Maineville
Joined Oct 2008
305 Posts
Video
Oscillatingengines in operation

Here is a poor quality movie of the oscillating engine set-up in the bathtub. I had the camera set on the "compact" setting which shoots lower quality. It was running too slow in the first part of the video due to a leak in the air hose. However you can see that the rig dosen't operate as smoothly as I thought it would in the water. There is a definate dead spot in the power strokes. It runs faster, but less smoothly going astern. Haven't yet figured out whats causing the lag - more experimenting required. It might run smoother on steam than air. Also a static shot of one of the cylinders removed next to its mounting plate. Opinions welcome.
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:51 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
i know nothing about this really but i love your work man. boat models can be great. i can see this on a gambling paddle wheeler
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:58 AM
United States, MS, Amory
Joined Oct 2004
1,412 Posts
nice work. The only thing I can think is a flywheel of some kind.
mtnmnstr is offline Find More Posts by mtnmnstr
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:07 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,677 Posts
I second the flywheel idea...having played around with solenoid motors, I found the flywheel was integral to the proper operation of them. As far as weight and diameter...experiment! I wish I could be be more helpful, but I used allot of surplus odds and ends when I was messing with them, so I kept swapping around till I was happy with the results..

Tim
AG4RZ
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:48 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,604 Posts
Neat! Flywheel or higher pressure??? bigger air cylinders (which might be out of question due to scale concerns)??? increased length of cranks (again- scale concerns)???
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:27 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,949 Posts
That is a really cool application for a oscillating engine. Thanks for sharing.
I would check the little holes or ports as you might have a obstruction in there someplace.
Also i agree, coming up with a clever application of a flywheel would help a lot. Maybe 1/2 thick flywheel on each side or something.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:45 AM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
Just thinkin Instead of a non scale flywheel on either side, Why not make the paddles out of painted brass. This would give the entire paddle wheel rotational mass.
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,002 Posts
I did notice that your operating arms worked opposite of each other. Maybe the settings are too dramatically opposed and need to be closer to each other?
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
I agree with earlier posts. You need to off-set the drive arms to smooth out the motion and add a small fly-wheel to give the assembly some mass to carry it through the power strokes.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:08 AM
New Guy
Simpsonville, SC
Joined Sep 2007
59 Posts
You do need to offset the arms. They should not be 180 deg. Also check that the two ports are at the right distance apart. I build these all the time for presents and mount them on candlesticks for the base. I build the parts on a 3" taig machine.
donfl3344 is offline Find More Posts by donfl3344
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:46 PM
Tugboat Enthusiast
Joined May 2011
73 Posts
Nice engines! I agree with the above, the cranks should be 90 degrees offset in order to assure smooth running. The 90 degree offset allows one crank to pull the other past the point where piston and crank are in line.

Keep it up!
JonatanTuggy is offline Find More Posts by JonatanTuggy