HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Discussion
My first EDF flight today

So I got my first EDF flight in today, actually first two EDF flights in. Jpower 50mm Mig-15. I tried last Saturday but it was tail heavy and when I hand launched it, it went straight up, looped over and crashed breaking off it wing at the fuselage. So after a little repair and 1/2oz of lead in the front I tried again today.

1st hand launch went fine, let it fly straight and level to gain some speed and then did some circuits around the field. Was still a little tail heavy and I was having a little trouble triming it out and not getting behind it while flying. Anyways after a couple of minutes I got a little over confident and tried to loop it but ended up in a flat spin. I managed to do something smart and I just cut the throttle and let it flat spin gently into the ankle high grass with no damage at all.

Changed the battery and trimmed a little more down elevator and the 2nd hand launch was a little bit more hairy. Over compensated the down elevator and the plane kept wanting to nose into the ground. Got even more behind the plane trying to keep the plane from hitting the ground while trying to put in some up trim. Ended up bottoming out the Mig into a bit of muck from the 12 inches of rain we got this week. No real damage to the plane beside a broken control horn on one aileron and a mud streak running down the length of the plane.

Fun and rugged little plane to fly and learn edf on. Learned a lot today.
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Last edited by FoamieFlier; Sep 10, 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fixed a alot to a lot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieFlier View Post
So I got my first EDF flight in today, actually first two EDF flights in. Jpower 50mm Mig-15. I tried last Saturday but it was tail heavy and when I hand launched it, it went straight up, looped over and crashed breaking off it wing at the fuselage. So after a little repair and 1/2oz of lead in the front I tried again today.

1st hand launch went fine, let it fly straight and level to gain some speed and then did some circuits around the field. Was still a little tail heavy and I was having a little trouble triming it out and not getting behind it while flying. Anyways after a couple of minutes I got a little over confident and tried to loop it but ended up in a flat spin. I managed to do something smart and I just cut the throttle and let it flat spin gently into the ankle high grass with no damage at all.

Changed the battery and trimmed a little more down elevator and the 2nd hand launch was a little bit more hairy. Over compensated the down elevator and the plane kept wanting to nose into the ground. Got even more behind the plane trying to keep the plane from hitting the ground while trying to put in some up trim. Ended up bottoming out the Mig into a bit of muck from the 12 inches of rain we got this week. No real damage to the plane beside a broken control horn on one aileron and a mud streak running down the length of the plane.

Fun and rugged little plane to fly and learn edf on. Learned a alot today.
congrats!
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:17 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
Nothing like an EDF is there!? Congrats on your first EDF flight.

Paul
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,980 Posts
Congrats.... EDF's are AWESOME. My first edf was the J-Power/Sky Angel L-39 i love that little plane, blast to fly. I plan on getting more of these little 50mm edf's I just think there such a good size, extra batteries are cheap, there tough and most importantly FUN...
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:37 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,971 Posts
The best EDF trainer jets are the ones with less wing sweep, e.g. L-39, T-45. In stock configuration with 3S batteries, they are not speed demons, but speed can wait until you get a feel for how EDF's handle and respond to control inputs.

And after all, their real-life counterparts are trainer jets!
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud