HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:25 PM
Chris
United States, MO, Peculiar
Joined Aug 2011
27 Posts
Question
Anyone have any of the Airfield RC brand foamies?

Hello all,
I went to a warbird fly in today at 1 of our local rc fields. 1 of the guys I fly with in my own club, who flies nitro said I should come check it out, so I did. I didn't think there would be any foamies out there so I didn't take my T-28D, grrrrr lol, of course there were. Left there drooling. Now to my question, does anyone have any of the Airfield RC brand foamies sold thru nitroplanes.com? Talkin to some of the guys out there who had them and looking them up online, they are relitively inexpensive planes for what you get, most come with functional flaps and retracts including servos. And the ones I saw like the Corsair and T-28 are bigger compared to say parkzones versions, which attracted me, but I am in the camp of you get what you pay for, so are the electronics, servos, rx, esc., motor etc. junk and need to be replaced as soon as delivered or is it good stuff? There were 2 guys there with that brand, both were pretty new planes, one said he replaced rx, other said hasnt changed anything but only had it a couple weeks. Thanks in advance for any help here, cause I like the looks of em, price just seems to good to be true, as compared to say e-flite or parkzone.

Chris
CD68 is offline Find More Posts by CD68
Last edited by CD68; Sep 10, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
63 Posts
I have a airfield cessna 182 v4. great first plane flys great just outgrew it now into 3d planes just maidened my 300ext today.
bri23520 is offline Find More Posts by bri23520
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
9 Posts
I have heard many bad things but also many good things about nitroplanes aircraft. i cannot vouch for whether they are decent electronics or not, but for the price i'd imagine they won't last too long. But then i could be wrong. I just purchased the 63" P-51 from Bananahobby, despite all the negative comments i've found, so lets see how long it lasts.
mrceotri is offline Find More Posts by mrceotri
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrceotri View Post
I have heard many bad things but also many good things about nitroplanes aircraft. i cannot vouch for whether they are decent electronics or not, but for the price i'd imagine they won't last too long. But then i could be wrong. I just purchased the 63" P-51 from Bananahobby, despite all the negative comments i've found, so lets see how long it lasts.
I have an airfield T-28 and like it as a trainer. As far as longevity, I would have crashed the PZ T-28 no fewer times and it would have a wrinkled nose too. Sometimes the better quality planes don't last any longer than the cheaper ones (at least at my hands).

Good luck with the BH order. I came close twice to ordering from them but reason kicked in.

SB
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:01 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
They make great videos.

I got sucked in and bought an 800mm BF109. I have since heard it described as a flying brick, but I think that's unfair to bricks everywhere, since I know I could keep one in the air longer than that plane.

To be fair, my first flight with it was my first flight ever and ended as you may guess. I shelved it until I was competent, rolls, loops, touch and goes with assorted Parkzone planes.

Took it off the shelf, set it up with a Spektrum Rx, programmed the DX6i and headed to the field. Same result as before. Hats off to anyone that can fly it, I certainly can't. I've salvaged the purchase and put the motor, esc and servos in a Slow Stick.

You get what you've paid for and you can't get parts. They never seem to resupply once out of stock, it seems shady to me, so I won't buy from them again.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:09 PM
Chris
United States, MO, Peculiar
Joined Aug 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
They make great videos.

I got sucked in and bought an 800mm BF109. I have since heard it described as a flying brick, but I think that's unfair to bricks everywhere, since I know I could keep one in the air longer than that plane.

To be fair, my first flight with it was my first flight ever and ended as you may guess. I shelved it until I was competent, rolls, loops, touch and goes with assorted Parkzone planes.

Took it off the shelf, set it up with a Spektrum Rx, programmed the DX6i and headed to the field. Same result as before. Hats off to anyone that can fly it, I certainly can't. I've salvaged the purchase and put the motor, esc and servos in a Slow Stick.

You get what you've paid for and you can't get parts. They never seem to resupply once out of stock, it seems shady to me, so I won't buy from them again.
I think I will stick to what I know, e-flite, parkzone, hangar 9 etc. Sounds like a crapshoot on if u get a lemon or not, and yes I noticed they were out of stock on many items. Plus I just ordered my 1st glow plane so the airfield brand plane purchase will be just a thought I once had. Thanks for the input guys!

Chris
CD68 is offline Find More Posts by CD68
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:56 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD68 View Post
I think I will stick to what I know, e-flite, parkzone, hangar 9 etc. Sounds like a crapshoot on if u get a lemon or not, and yes I noticed they were out of stock on many items. Plus I just ordered my 1st glow plane so the airfield brand plane purchase will be just a thought I once had. Thanks for the input guys!

Chris
I wouldn't write them off on the few replies you got. Check out the electric warbird forum, lots of happy Airfield/FMS owners . I've got the Airfield T-28 Trojan and quite pleased with it. Over 60 flights with no problems. Granted parts from nitroplanes might be hard to come by but they aren't the only ones that carry replacement parts for the Airfield brand.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
108 Posts
I have an FMS 1100mm F6F and love it. No issues so far and ive had some less than stellar landings
dougf is offline Find More Posts by dougf
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,479 Posts
The foam quality of the FMS products is head and shoulders better than HH's Z-foam. No contest. The newer planes I've heard are outstanding but i do not have any of them. I do have the older P-51 and Spitfire. IMO they needed a few tweaks here and there but IMO they all do. I believe HH's ESC's and motors are generally better and of course their parts support is better but you pay a huge price for these things. I have no knowledge of the 800 mm FMS birds but to me they are too unscale and small anyway.

These are my FMS birds......so far!

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe