HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:21 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Discussion
Align K10382A 6A External BEC getting realy HOT

Ok so I have my new Trex 700e 3g all ready to maiden in the morning but I now have a concern i was triple checking everything and noticed the BEC was extreamly hot is this normal for this BEC? it is the align K10382A that came with the super combo.
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:24 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
If you're running your electronics off the main battery through the bec I'd suggest you reconsider and get a receiver battery instead. The extra weight is worth the piece of mind.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
on no sorry I am running a 2s2200mah lipo through it for the servos and then 2 6s 5000mah in series for the motor so the only thing hooke to the external bec is a single 2s
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
on no sorry I am running a 2s2200mah lipo through it for the servos and then 2 6s 5000mah in series for the motor so the only thing hooke to the external bec is a single 2s
Then something is still causing resistance. It could be a servo or you may try a different bec. Probably the least expensive part to change out.

BTW, you did not say how big your bec is, 3a 5v?

Sorry re-read your question and you gave the bec part # so I would say that is the problem......or....a lipo that can't keep up with what it needs.

Any servo's warm?

Also, this is just a n00b thought but some of the reason for the bec is to "take the heat" and not have it go through the esc but re-re-reading your post you said extremely hot. That is bad. If you can't hold your finger on it and count 1-2-3. Replace it.
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:21 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post
Then something is still causing resistance. It could be a servo or you may try a different bec. Probably the least expensive part to change out.

BTW, you did not say how big your bec is, 3a 5v?

Sorry re-read your question and you gave the bec part # so I would say that is the problem......or....a lipo that can't keep up with what it needs.

Any servo's warm?

Also, this is just a n00b thought but some of the reason for the bec is to "take the heat" and not have it go through the esc but re-re-reading your post you said extremely hot. That is bad. If you can't hold your finger on it and count 1-2-3. Replace it.
yes extremely hot as in melted the factory heat shrink I will go and feel the servos but i didn't notice any of them getting warm guess the align bec is crap
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:53 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
That align bec is a linear bec which do get much hotter than a switching bec. How about just using a voltage regulator like a duralite, scott grey reactor or similar? There is also the CC BEC.

The Align is rated for 6amps, the CC BEC for 10amps, the CC BEC Pro for 20 amps, the duralite for 7.5amps and the scott grey for 15amps. Even though the duralite and scott grey are rated lower I would choose them over an align or castle. You've got a really expensive heli there, don't jeapordize it due to a $25 bec....
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:35 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
A couple of things: Some servos can't take the 6v that that BEC puts out -- they talk about putting a drop-down resistor (or something) in line if that's the case.

But personally I would never use a linear BEC like that one for anything. A switching BEC, like the CC devices mentioned in post #6, run much cooler and are much more likely to be able to deliver the amps reliably. They can also run off your motor battery, so no need for a separate 2S LiPo. I don't know about CC, but many of them are also switchable between 5v and 6v output.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:01 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
A couple of things: Some servos can't take the 6v that that BEC puts out -- they talk about putting a drop-down resistor (or something) in line if that's the case.

But personally I would never use a linear BEC like that one for anything. A switching BEC, like the CC devices mentioned in post #6, run much cooler and are much more likely to be able to deliver the amps reliably. They can also run off your motor battery, so no need for a separate 2S LiPo. I don't know about CC, but many of them are also switchable between 5v and 6v output.
acording to the manual only the rudder servo cant handle the 6v so I have a 5.1V Two-way Step-down Voltage Regulator going to the rubber servo.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:50 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
acording to the manual only the rudder servo cant handle the 6v so I have a 5.1V Two-way Step-down Voltage Regulator going to the rubber servo.
that's fine but I really would suggest replacing the align bec but don't suggest running off the main battery. if for what ever reason, your main battery when down, you'd still have power off the receiver battery to do an auto.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
I am thinking a castle BEC pro
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:19 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
that's fine but I really would suggest replacing the align bec but don't suggest running off the main battery. if for what ever reason, your main battery when down, you'd still have power off the receiver battery to do an auto.
I think that argument can run both ways: The separate receiver battery could go down just as easy as the main battery -- happened to a friend of mine at the field last week

If the tail servo can't take 6v, I would also be looking at do the other servos and receiver really need 6v, or can they run just fine on 5v? If so, reduce the complication by getting a switching BEC and setting it to 5v to run the whole lot.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
I think that argument can run both ways: The separate receiver battery could go down just as easy as the main battery -- happened to a friend of mine at the field last week

If the tail servo can't take 6v, I would also be looking at do the other servos and receiver really need 6v, or can they run just fine on 5v? If so, reduce the complication by getting a switching BEC and setting it to 5v to run the whole lot.
You're right, it can but I prefer not to load the bec to go from 22.2v to 6v. I like the idea of 7.4v to 6v. Also, did the battery actually fail or did he forget to charge it?

Hell, I prefer using LiFeP04 packs and not having to use a bec or regulator at all.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
The OP's question is why his BEC is running hot, not why he should run an external 2s lipo or liFe should be used.

Back to the question ... it appears there may be defects to the BEC which caused it to run so hot that the heat shrink was melted. This particular BEC has an alumnium cover plate that is being held in place by double-side tape and the clear heat shrink. The al. plate could have shifted during assembling process thus caused it shortout.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
The OP's question is why his BEC is running hot, not why he should run an external 2s lipo or liFe should be used.

Back to the question ... it appears there may be defects to the BEC which caused it to run so hot that the heat shrink was melted. This particular BEC has an alumnium cover plate that is being held in place by double-side tape and the clear heat shrink. The al. plate could have shifted during assembling process thus caused it shortout.
I've already posted on the topic so please maybe read the entire thread before jumping on someone?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Ok so I have my new Trex 700e 3g all ready to maiden in the morning but I now have a concern i was triple checking everything and noticed the BEC was extreamly hot is this normal for this BEC? it is the align K10382A that came with the super combo.
Are you using Castle ICE HV 120 bl ESC or Castle ICE 2 HV 120. CC recall ICE HV and other ESC, HV 120 is included.

The only controllers that are properly modified and are approved for operation will be labeled clearly as Ice 2 HV (Amp Rating), Mamba XL 2 and Hydra Ice 2 HV.

stock BEC 6A run cooler after replacing recalled ESC. I hope it help.

For Castle recall, check

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ydraicehv.html
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017