HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone used this foam from the Dollar Tree?

I went to the dollar tree last week to pick up some more foamboard when I saw this black foamboard. I just glanced at it but never really thought much about it.
Today I went to see if I could find it and it wasn't there I asked the manager when they would be in stock and he said "Maybe never" and he gave me the option if I wanted him to order some now and they would be there in about 2 days. I told him ill come back. But yes here is the link: http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/pr...oductId=310686

If anyone has used that foamboard please tell me if its good or not. I don't want to waste $50 on foamboard ill never use.
bagofbones11 is offline Find More Posts by bagofbones11
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,170 Posts
The white is better
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Not sure if it is the same thing I got at my local dollar tree which is the same Adam's brand foamboard, but with black paper rather than white. The foam in the middle is still white. I couldn't see any difference (other than color) between the black and white foamboard.
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:44 PM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
Redi board is made in a number of colors. Dollar tree mostly sells the white. I bought about 6 or 7 sheet of the black. I have also bought green yellow and red from a craft stor in this area. Once you strip the paper off the foam under the paper is all the same.

If you are going to leave the paper on, you may like it better because it is a different color.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:45 PM
not angry... just crazy
Joined Oct 2011
14 Posts
dollar tree foam board is good for sketching out the plane and cutting. just peal it off after, n good to go.
anyone tried to use CA to harden the wing front or nose? have used it on smaller planes, seems to do ok.
ERNtheMAD is offline Find More Posts by ERNtheMAD
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:27 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
It is very difficult to remove the paper from the black DT foamboard. This is a disadvantage for building techniques described in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504758.

For me, the white is much better, and I can paint it whatever color I want (ever try painting a black surface?)

However, I have built some planes with the black foamboard. It looks cool when you paint the foam edges a different color.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:04 PM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflyer View Post
It is very difficult to remove the paper from the black DT foamboard. This is a disadvantage for building techniques described in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504758.

For me, the white is much better, and I can paint it whatever color I want (ever try painting a black surface?)

However, I have built some planes with the black foamboard. It looks cool when you paint the foam edges a different color.
I bought some of the black a few months ago and I must agree is doesn't come off good at all. It is hard to take off, and leaves a lot of paper behind which look nasty, black on white,

I tryed painting the black paper and leaving it on. After the paint was dry the paper flexed and began to come off. Of course I have tryed painting the white and it does the same thing. I like leaving the paper on for strength but after a while it comes off. I have covered the foam with silkspan held on with watered down white glue and that worked good. It was much stronger and very little extra weight.

I'm not sure any of the colored paper is better because it does let loose after a period of time and that encludes the white paper. It seems like once the paper has taken on moisture it begins to let go of its grip.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill