HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
Tauranga New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Discussion
Help Flying Honey Bee Fp V2

Hi Guys,
Can someone please give me some advise as i am a complete begginer to this hobby and am having trouble to fly my HBFPV2 . I am really good at flying rc planes and wanted to get into the rc helicopter hobby. Im 13 if that is of any use to you. I think the problem is that i learnt to use the rudder reversed, so i am going to have to learn it the right way. I have been practicing heaps on the simulator and have mastered that. I also had a mini 3ch co-ax and have mastered that aswel.
Thanks Heaps,
Gareth.
Hawksky123 is offline Find More Posts by Hawksky123
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
The 3ch is of no value and even screws you up because the rudder (yaw) is on the wrong stick... stop using it...

Which simulator are you using and what model? If you're using a 90 size nitro on a free sim, again useless stop using it.

Helis are the hardest rc to master, your rc plane flying experience is of little value beyond orientation, the muscle memory is not there yet.

I do find it interesting how many plane guys think that helis will be easy because of their plane experience...

Last note, either get a good sim or a more realistic model, the blade cp is a good one for the hbcp. Also, google radds school of rotory flight and follow it.

You may also want to consider a smaller fixed pitch to start with, one with a 45deg head like the msr or 120sr.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
The HBFP is an excellent heli to learn to fly with. The older version was my first single rotor heli. They are durable, cheap and easy to repair, and do not have the self-stabilising characteristics that FP helis with 45 degree flybars/heads have - so while it will take longer to get to grips with, it will prepare you much better for flying CP helis.

When you push the rudder stick to e.g. the right, the nose of the heli should go right. If your heli does the opposite, as far as I remember it should just be a matter of switching the rudder switch on the front of the TX to reverse it.

If the sim you are using came with the heli, the first thing I would do is download HeliSimRC which is another free software sim, but is much more realistic (harder) than the Esky sim (FMS), and works just fine with the Esky TX and cable.

'Radds' demo videos are available on youtube, and are well worth looking up.

What you need most, is patience.

Dusty
Dusty1000 is online now Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
I'm a noob to single rotor fp and bought an Honeybee fp v2 about 6 weeks ago.
After about 15 battery charges I can now hover for about 2 mins.
I could never achieve an hover with the shite stock blades, and people on another forum that I frequent recommended that I purchase some " Superblades xp ".
After fitting these, things became much easier and they're able to stand serious abuse. They also come balanced which is essential and prevents instabilities.

Just stick with it, and remember, when you learn to fly your Honeybee you'll probably be ready to fly anything.

I love the Honeybee and don't regret buying it.
Purple Aki is offline Find More Posts by Purple Aki
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:06 AM
Tauranga New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Thanks Guys
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:42 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined May 2010
216 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. You will get there. I started with planes as well (about 30 years ago but who's counting) and found that very little of my skills with planes really played a part in flying helicopters. It did help with some orientation skills but thats about it. With your training gear on, pick yourself a point on the ground and just try to get your heli "light" on the training gear. No need for altitude yet. Work on keeping your heli within an imaginary box around the point you choose. If it strays out, stop, place your heli back on point, and try again. Keep practicing till you can hover with altitude and stay in that "box" you've set for yourself.
weimer20 is offline Find More Posts by weimer20
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Tauranga New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Hey again guys i did what you said and practiced, practiced and practiced and now i can fly it good. Thanks so so so much guys i couldnt have done it without you
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:40 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
You are welcome. I'm pleased to hear you got the hang of it. Now you'll realise it was well worth the trouble.

Dusty
Dusty1000 is online now Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:59 AM
Tauranga New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Im going out of the hobby now i am sick to death of that stupid outer paddle breaking everytime i have a small crash Also it cant fly in ANY wind and cant fly inside the house , i dont get the point of it when you can get a 4ch mini helicopter that can fly in the same wind and fly indoors for half the price of the honey bee.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksky123 View Post
Im going out of the hobby now i am sick to death of that stupid outer paddle breaking everytime i have a small crash Also it cant fly in ANY wind and cant fly inside the house , i dont get the point of it when you can get a 4ch mini helicopter that can fly in the same wind and fly indoors for half the price of the honey bee.
Don't throw the towel in.

There is an Xtreme cnc outer paddle control frame for the Bee and it's unbreakable IMO. It costs around $10.

If you want the part # just ask.
Purple Aki is offline Find More Posts by Purple Aki
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:42 PM
中国, 广东省, 深圳
Joined Aug 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksky123 View Post
Hi Guys,
Can someone please give me some advise as i am a complete begginer to this hobby and am having trouble to fly my HBFPV2 . I am really good at flying rc planes and wanted to get into the rc helicopter hobby. Im 13 if that is of any use to you. I think the problem is that i learnt to use the rudder reversed, so i am going to have to learn it the right way. I have been practicing heaps on the simulator and have mastered that. I also had a mini 3ch co-ax and have mastered that aswel.
Thanks Heaps,
Gareth.
A bee with a brand new rotor system is all that you need, self-balanced and more responsive as well whenever you want it act fast. A pefect path that leads a newbie to be well ready for any helis

Abandon the old Honey bee rotor!!!
vincent722 is offline Find More Posts by vincent722