HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:06 AM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
413 Posts
Discussion
Dreaming about Multi Rotor setup : Multi+GoPro+eagle tree everything?

So im dreaming up my startup HD camera ship.
I am currently experimenting with various fixed wing and im looking forward to piloting a more stable aircraft.
I have flown helis before, but never a multi rotor.

Im looking for advice on a ship powerfull enough to lift a full eagle tree osd pro setup , as well as the cameras and large receiver for good distance.
Some of the multi rotors look to be on the smaller size, and i would like to possibly be able to lift more weight even... like a real hd cam...?

just starting out and looking for some direction.

thanks !
crashtested is offline Find More Posts by crashtested
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:28 AM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
group AP multi-rotor build thread?

I am in the same boat. Flown fixed wing for 15 years, fixed wing AP for the last year or so. It would be cool to have one of the experienced guys with a stable muti design for a popular camera like the GoPro lead a group build. I think a suitable rig for a novice with easily available parts would make a interesting build thread.
shutternut is online now Find More Posts by shutternut
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutternut View Post
I am in the same boat. Flown fixed wing for 15 years, fixed wing AP for the last year or so. It would be cool to have one of the experienced guys with a stable muti design for a popular camera like the GoPro lead a group build. I think a suitable rig for a novice with easily available parts would make a interesting build thread.
Are you guys looking for a simple quad, or a full decked out gps quad? If you're looking to do it simple ( multiwii board, wood arms which are the best IMO ) then I might be able to do it.

I have 2 right now, both will lift 2-3 go pros each. Simple build, bolt together, with folding ability.

Let em know.....................
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:13 PM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
I would be interested, would this include FPV equipment? Is there a post already open simular to your rig so I can read up on it. I have seen several multiwii threads on here and was leaning that direction.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:13 AM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
413 Posts
I'm thinking along the lines of serious video production as aposed to uav. I think stability and load carrying are priority over range and bells/whistles. I originally was leaning towards a full GPS/OSD ship, but I think I would like to more specifically take high quality video.

I already have a plane that I'm trying to do long distance with a full eagle tree setup.

I wish eagle tree made an osd-lite... So I could take advantage of antenna tracking and telemetry without the big data logger and so much wiring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
I am looking for quality video also but I think it would be necessary to have a downlink of some kind in order to aim a video camera.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:36 PM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutternut View Post
I am looking for quality video also but I think it would be necessary to have a downlink of some kind in order to aim a video camera.
Oh, def have the downlink, but no crazy gps autopilot... But then again one would want some good stabilization, or is that inherent in a multirotor?
It would help me alot to just know what is the gold standard now for even rtf setups emulate, or ,gasp, buy a rtf setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2014, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1 Posts
I would recommend that you do get a machine with GPS. It's a good safety thing for expensive video equipment. You want your machine to be able to return on its own if something goes wrong. Batteries do go dead. Also it would help on stability of your platform.
Forrestk is offline Find More Posts by Forrestk
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
Search everywhere... Need Blade RS HP6DSM

... configuration to be able to fly the Blade Mqx. I have tried everything in this forum and some rotors turn on and some don't, depending on stick positions. I've tried #4 dip on and all all off, #3,5,7 on and all other off. If there anyone out there that can help me before I sell this older stick and just buy the one that came with the "RTF" package for the the Blade Mqx in the first place? Seems I've tried everything!
WolferRC is offline Find More Posts by WolferRC
Old Apr 05, 2014, 06:19 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
586 Posts
For aerial photography GPS is more useful for position hold. You can fly the platform up to an appropriate spot then switch to position hold while you operate the camera gimbal. Although a 2 person rig with a pilot and camera operator gives even more versatility.

I haven't heard of many (any) people using Eagle Tree on multirotors. Have a look at Ardupilot, Multiwii, DJI Naza or the Openpilot Revo. If money isn't so much of an object then the DJI Spreading Wings looks awesome.

If you want to lift a decent camera you'll have to look at a hexa or octa motor multi. The quads will lift a gopro, but usually not much more.

To get you started on parts...
Sunnysky or Tiger Motor cost a little more than cheapo Hobbyking motors, but are much more reliable and worth every cent.
"SimonK" flashed ESC's are a must. There are many pre-flashed esc's available from decent multirotor stores.
If you want a wooden frame, try the Flitetest Anycopter frame.
A camera gimbal will give much better photography results, by negating the tilting caused by the multirotors maneuvering, but will cost extra and add to the complexity.
A simple 5.8Ghz video link will give you 'first person view'. There is tons of info on them, just search for "5.8G FPV". Use circular polarized antennas.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Last edited by rogueqd; Apr 05, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 06:46 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Dec 2008
242 Posts
I have a FlyingCinema Cinetank with the Eagletree OSD, Datalogger and Gps. Control board is a CC3D by OpenPilot and I am running it on 5.8 video and 2.4 Futaba for control. Up front is a Gopro Hero 3 Silver. The quad is easy to fly and has no issues lifting the weight. Flight times fully loaded with a 3300 mah is about 7 minutes and between 9 and 10 with 4500 mah. Motors are SunnySky 1250 kv turning Apc MR 8 inch props. There is no gimbal yet - but Flyingcinema is beta testing one at the moment. It is an awesome flying machine . Only thing with the CC3D board is no gps functions. A Naza or any other controller with gps features will
be the ticket... Might build me a second one with it. All videos I have taken are jello free and that is one of this frame's best features and and that is with unbalanced props .
NeilRivera is offline Find More Posts by NeilRivera