HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:30 AM
Joined Jun 2011
26 Posts
Discussion
Best UAV on the market for multiple commercial purposes

Hi Guys,

I have now received funding from an investor and ready to purchase a multi rotor heli.

These are the areas we are going to be in

Asset Management
Commercial/Construction
Environmental Monitoring
Real Estate
Agricultural
Advertising/Media
Mapping

I have received a quote for a Oktokoptor

1 X DX XL OKTO BUILT, PROGRAMMED, TESTED
1 X DX EXTENDED LANDING GEAR
1 X PHOTOHIGHER AV200 CAMERA MOUNT
1 X JR 9CH RADIO WITH JETI TELEMETRY
1 X GPS SETUP (POSITION HOLD, COME HOME, WAY-POINT
PRE-PROGRAMMING)
1 X GROUND STATION (INCL. BOX, 5.8GHZ TREX/RX, CUSTOM
MOUNTED SCREEN, CUSTOM FOAM FITTINGS)
1 X STANDARD CHARGER AND POWER SUPPLY
2 X 5000MAH 4S BATTERIES
1 X SHUTTER CONTROL SWITCH (CONFIRM CAMERA)

Is there any other machine that would be best suited. Have a budget of up to $20k for the full package.

p.s I am in Australia, and yes I have investigated all things like insurances, CASA licence, UAV Controllers certification, Operators Certificate approval process with CASA etc

Thanks
SirElroy is offline Find More Posts by SirElroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
-> DJI
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:39 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
I already PM'd you. I am offering pro level multicopters on the DJI platform. All of this can be done for you and we can get you setup without any issue. I can do it for WAY WAY under your budget.

Andy
aerialquads.com
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:45 AM
Multi-Rotor Mad
UK
Joined Jul 2010
410 Posts
If your IN Australia , Get in touch with either Rob or Linda from Droidworx they will know someone local who can build one for you.
Or Simon at Aerobot.au he should be able to put a package together for you.
If you need waypoint flying then MK is the way to go , but if you can live without waypoints then the Wookong is worth considering.

Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirElroy View Post
Hi Guys,

I have now received funding from an investor and ready to purchase a multi rotor heli.

These are the areas we are going to be in

Asset Management
Commercial/Construction
Environmental Monitoring
Real Estate
Agricultural
Advertising/Media
Mapping

I have received a quote for a Oktokoptor

1 X DX XL OKTO BUILT, PROGRAMMED, TESTED
1 X DX EXTENDED LANDING GEAR
1 X PHOTOHIGHER AV200 CAMERA MOUNT
1 X JR 9CH RADIO WITH JETI TELEMETRY
1 X GPS SETUP (POSITION HOLD, COME HOME, WAY-POINT
PRE-PROGRAMMING)
1 X GROUND STATION (INCL. BOX, 5.8GHZ TREX/RX, CUSTOM
MOUNTED SCREEN, CUSTOM FOAM FITTINGS)
1 X STANDARD CHARGER AND POWER SUPPLY
2 X 5000MAH 4S BATTERIES
1 X SHUTTER CONTROL SWITCH (CONFIRM CAMERA)

Is there any other machine that would be best suited. Have a budget of up to $20k for the full package.

p.s I am in Australia, and yes I have investigated all things like insurances, CASA licence, UAV Controllers certification, Operators Certificate approval process with CASA etc

Thanks
QuadcoptersUk is offline Find More Posts by QuadcoptersUk
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Are you looking to just buy as a complete package ready to fly or are you willing to buy individual components? Anyways I think these guys are well suited Im sure if you ring them up they can create a setup suitable for your needs. They have a bunch of big coporate clients already on the list:
http://www.quadrocopter.us/ready-to-fly/?active=CS8

One knit pick I dont like about this frame though is there is lack of protection of the electronics but considering your budget they may be able to do something about that. Also its not just about the money I hope your already experianced at rc. If not I would be getting something to practice a lot on.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Last edited by malcr001; Sep 10, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:35 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Does it have to be multi-rotor? Flint Hill Solutions makes several sizes of VTOL helis. I think you can get some of them for under $20K. http://fhsllc.com/ My dad has done some consulting for them recently and had some very good things to say about their setup. Most are fully autonomous. There is no need to learn how to fly, take off or whatever.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:08 AM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
447 Posts
Because your in Australia, perhaps one of the better options is to use a radial octo Droidworks frame with your choice of flight controller.
Aerobot typically uses MK electrics but I am relatively confident they could do an RTF package with a Droidworks frame and DJI FC if you want to go down that route.
I also recommend doing a LOT of reading on the flight controllers and capability, and lurk the forums big time so you "know" you get the most practical and viable FC, accessories and extras for your budget.
Research is the secret to avoiding buyer remorse.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:24 AM
Inquisitive fellow
Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
We use this guys.

www.aerobot.com.au
www.blip.com.au

We love the local support, having them a call away can save you in a time of need. Specially if you're in the movie business, no timezone difference to worry about.
MrPing is offline Find More Posts by MrPing
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:26 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
A small point but you are going to need more batteries than just 2 if you are on commercial jobs.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:04 AM
Joined Jun 2011
26 Posts
Thanks guys.

What is better at the moment, MK or DJI?

I like the Droidworks frame setup.

MrPing... what are you using and for what applications? What is your ground station and did you build it yourself or get it built?

Stacky - We will be purchasing more batteries, that was just from the original quote.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:06 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
I dont know about DJI but I can honestly say that MK's are great when there working but I cannot turn a blind eye to the regular threads I see about MK's flying away and not responding on RTH and flips of death etc on the mikrokopter.us us forum.

The price for DJI electronics appear to be considerably more so I assume there targeting more proffessional applications suitable for your budget and they appear to offer support which MK dont. With MK's you get a lot of help in the MK forums or use the wiki doc which I must say doesnt have the best english translations but its enough to get by. With MK's you are required to do a bit of soldering like soldering brushless controllers on power distribution boards, solding capacitors and pins on the FC etc so I think MK's suit hobbyists who want decent electronics but not at a crazy price for someone not using it for proffessional work.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
"Considerably more"?
Even a MK-Hexa combined with BL2.0 and FC+Navi+GPS+Mag+Whatever is already more than the base price of DJI system.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
26 Posts
Well I was quoted $13.5k here in Australia for the stuff I posted in the OP.

What else could be better and preferably based here in Australia (as you can understand).

I need a reliable machine with unbeatable performance. I know another poster is based here in Aus using a Mikrokopter Hexa XL.

Does anyone here in Aus make a RTF DJI system?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
"Considerably more"?
Even a MK-Hexa combined with BL2.0 and FC+Navi+GPS+Mag+Whatever is already more than the base price of DJI system.
I was just reffering to the electronics.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:51 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirElroy View Post
Well I was quoted $13.5k here in Australia for the stuff I posted in the OP.

What else could be better and preferably based here in Australia (as you can understand).

I need a reliable machine with unbeatable performance. I know another poster is based here in Aus using a Mikrokopter Hexa XL.

Does anyone here in Aus make a RTF DJI system?
It shouldn't be hard for any seller to make RTF DJI system, it's actually more simple as the FC is pretty much ready to play with no soldering required. Problem is, Australia doesn't have its own DJI distro to deal with so support for the FC would come from another dealer who is based in other country. I suppose the people in aerobot would recommend you to use MK electronics as they are far more familiar with it.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar