HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:28 AM
Sverige, Skåne Län, Malmö
Joined Sep 2011
23 Posts
Gallery
FMS J3 Piper Cub

Hello everyone!

I just would like to share some pictures and a movie of the FMS J3 Cub. Great plane for beginners (like myself), but also a fun plane for intermediate flyers (like I'm becoming). At full throttle it is actually quit fast but flies well at 1/3 as well.

I also have the Starmax 1400mm Cub, but still under "re-designing" (painting it silver and adding backseat pilot). My question is, does anyone know where to get a good scale pilot for it? And how much can it weigh?

FMS J3 Cub City Flight HD (2 min 28 sec)
CubGul is offline Find More Posts by CubGul
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
fulrev
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
can't help with pilot but i,m just getting into rc planes and i,m starting out with a starmax j3-piper , about to have my first flight been flying a sim and think i am ready , was this your first plane the j-3 and how was your maiden flight
fullrev is offline Find More Posts by fullrev
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:09 AM
Joined Sep 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrev View Post
can't help with pilot but i,m just getting into rc planes and i,m starting out with a starmax j3-piper , about to have my first flight been flying a sim and think i am ready , was this your first plane the j-3 and how was your maiden flight
Hya Fullrev. Yes, this was my first 4ch plane (the FMS Cub), it is slightly smaller than the starmax (1050mm wing and 650g weight). I had flown some parkzone 3ch 30g cubs before but they don't really count ;-).

The Maiden:
After a couple of hours in phoenix sim I decided to take here outside and fly for the first time. It was a cloudy day with mild gusts and maybe not optimal for noob flying, but I couldn't wait. Started on the grass facing the wind with full throttle and heart in my throat. The grass grabbed the wheels and I buried the prop in the dust, no damages, but a sense of anticlimax...

I decided to hand launch. Full throttle, threw it, went up, went straight down, overcompensating the controls, seconds from hitting the ground up she went again. Took here to comfortable heights and familiarised with her flying behaviour and calmed down. From that day she's been flying, landing like a charm...

I think the biggest mistake you can do as beginner is to big movements with the controls, but as soon as you've come over that, it's like flying in phoenix... almost ;-).

Sorry for grammar and spelling (I'm from sweden)

Good luck with your maiden.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:29 PM
fulrev
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Hi Cubgul , thanks for the info on your first flight , I still have not been able to get my J-3 off the ground

Went to my local RC Club for my maiden flight but the wind was to strong and the guys at the club advised me to wait for a better day

The next morning no wind but had to work , this is starting to be a stress full hobbie ,

Hows the new paint job going on your J-3 , looking forward to see pic of her ,
and have you been able to find pilot .

Cheers mate
fullrev
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrev View Post
Hi Cubgul , thanks for the info on your first flight , I still have not been able to get my J-3 off the ground

Went to my local RC Club for my maiden flight but the wind was to strong and the guys at the club advised me to wait for a better day

The next morning no wind but had to work , this is starting to be a stress full hobbie ,

Hows the new paint job going on your J-3 , looking forward to see pic of her ,
and have you been able to find pilot .

Cheers mate
fullrev
Hope you get it up in the air soon, if not already... Agree, it is a bit stressful hobbie, nothing worse than sitting at work when it is calm and warm outside (some say beach some say fly), anywho, the big cub is finished and "maidened", what a lovely plane the starmax cub is, a bit low quality on the landing gear, but it is really relaxing to fly. See image on final result below...

Or follow link for more images:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505930

Didn't find any pilot so built one out of clay, and painted it, looks ok on 50 meters :-).

Regarding the FMS Cub I had an accident, peeerfect weather conditions, which made me too self confident, all day flying and recharging, then at last flight, low flyby, something happened to the plane and it did a "jerk" and hit the ground... maybe fixable, maybe time for a new one ;-)... Luxury problem.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:56 PM
fulrev
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
well done on the paint job , it will be interesting to see how the acrylic paint sticks to the foam over time , i have read about applying fiberglass cloth and resin to foam planes for strength and color

your pilot looks great , is he in the back seat for cg reasons

sorry to see your other cub in pieces but thats life in RC , what goes up must come down

Cheers mate fullrev
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
23 Posts
Thanks Fullrev, ya the pilot came out OK. Fiberglass and resin sounds interesting, nice to get rid of the "foamie dimples"... regarding the paint it seems to stick really well, the wing tips could need some extra protection though, side winds when landing can sometimes give surprising side effects ;-). The home made stickers suck though, one drop water and the ink starts to come of, will try to order vinyl cut outs...

Pilot is in back seat cause it looks more realistic, J3 Cub flown from the backseat when single pilot. I made him leaning forward to get closer to cg (65mm from wing front edge I think), it does'nt seem to effect plane negatively in air, so everything ay OK.

Let me know of your maiden...
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:47 PM
Aviation History Buff
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Feb 2014
49 Posts
Landing Gear Mod

Does anyone know of/have photos of good landing gear mods for this aircraft. Scale looking or not, I seem to have troubles getting off the ground. Granted I have a rough runway but the little foam tires just don't cut it. I want to add some bigger 3" ish size Dubro rubber wheels so it can land anywhere but I have already cracked the plastic wheel leg. Any ideas wold be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Sweep
Sweep119 is offline Find More Posts by Sweep119
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:50 PM
Aviation History Buff
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Feb 2014
49 Posts
Also, has anyone added a three blade prop to the cub?
Sweep119 is offline Find More Posts by Sweep119