HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:07 PM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
1,208 Posts
Help!
Small Cessna 15" wings Pulls to the right on take off!

I have a small home built cessna that seems all in balance and CG seems good. It taxis fine but when it lifts off it goes to the right, I then of course cut the throttle and it stops. I have not done too much testing with it yet. Do I need to apply more right offset to the motor? Everything is level and seems well oriented. It seems to Glide OK from what I can tell as long as there is not power. Again not too much testing done here.

Lateral Balance is fine rudder is fine, it is only 3 channels. Prop is small 4.25" Motor is a small Brushless.

It currently has a slight right and downward offset on the motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
ShokWaveRider is offline Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
Last edited by ShokWaveRider; Sep 09, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:20 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,341 Posts
Carefully check to see if there is any warping in the wings. Hold the plane at arm's length, looking at either side with the fuselage level. Looking from the wingtip back to the fuselage, (do this with both sides) and make sure that the wings are identically oriented. You should induce just a slight amount of washout by bending the leading edge of each wing at the tip, downward just a couple of degrees. This will reduce the tendency to stall when turning.

Then look carefully from the nose back to the tail - make sure everything is aligned properly. Then do the same, looking from the tail back to the nose.

What's the difference, you might ask? My answer is "you'd be surprised"!!

Good luck, and let us know how it's coming.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:18 PM
Retired Engineer
St. Augustine, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
Carefully check to see if there is any warping in the wings. Hold the plane at arm's length, looking at either side with the fuselage level. Looking from the wingtip back to the fuselage, (do this with both sides) and make sure that the wings are identically oriented. You should induce just a slight amount of washout by bending the leading edge of each wing at the tip, downward just a couple of degrees. This will reduce the tendency to stall when turning.

Then look carefully from the nose back to the tail - make sure everything is aligned properly. Then do the same, looking from the tail back to the nose.

What's the difference, you might ask? My answer is "you'd be surprised"!!

Good luck, and let us know how it's coming.
Thanks, it is level and oriented, it does not stall, maybe my description was a little off. It just pulls to the right, I immediately cut the throttle that is why it then dives. It is the right turn on take off I am trying to figure out. If I simply throw it without power it seems to glide fine.

Thanks

SWR
ShokWaveRider is offline Find More Posts by ShokWaveRider
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:57 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
a plane should not 'dive'. you said you did a glide test, so i am probly not getting whats happening. look at the wing alignment, left tip to the rudder tip. then check the same on the right wing tip. it should be exactly the same distance. this will check the wing alignment, if the measurement is the same, then the wing is exactly 90 degrees from the fuse. ifs its off, then it might pull to the right.

also, try angling the motor the oppsite way. i dont do single enigne much, but i hear most have down and right thrust. something about the air blast off the prop coming in a circular fashion and hitting the rudder causing problems.

p.s. the cg should not be at 25%. its a starting point, but should be trimmed.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull