SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by banana hobby, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:42 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,915 Posts
@ Xrayted too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan80 View Post
I'm curious about this as well. I noticed it yesterday and wondered when someone might comment.

My understanding has been that C is a current rating, reflecting how much current the battery can supply. A battery cannot push current through a device. A device can attempt to pull more current than a battery can deliver, which will lower the voltage, but the battery cannot force extra current through a device that will not draw it, so there is no danger in using a battery that can supply more current than is needed.

But I could be wrong.
Exactly! I actually edited my question before posting (it basically made the same points you reference), so as to not 'lead-in' to any particular answer so's we could get a better idea of the quality of the expert advice being proffered. (!)

Caveat Emptor!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
Irvine, CA
Joined Oct 2001
228 Posts
Sku: Jt1955-05-arf

Hello,

1) What happened to your phone numbers? I have been trying to call sales and nothing.

2) I am trying to place an order for SKU: JT1955-05-ARF, the web site indicated is "In Stock" it has the "Buy Now" enabled, but the drop down indicates the Swiss (and all the rest) all sold out. What is the real status of this plane?

Thank you,

CB
crazybear is offline Find More Posts by crazybear
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:07 PM
Customer Support
United States, CA, Irwindale
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hi Nancy;
How does too-high LiPo C-Ratings cause other electronics to get damaged??
Good morning StarHopper44.
In regards to the C-Ratings, what it is is basically telling you the discharge rate of the battery. This tells you how fast a battery can be discharged safely. With higher C ratings, it doesn't hurt much, but it is just a precaution. Now if you go too low with the C ratings, you will either damaged the battery and possibly the ESC. Reason being is that the discharge rate is way to low thus, not releasing enough juice. ESC needs a certain amount of juice to pump the power throughout the aircraft giving it a good flight.

Not enough juice --> under power --> electronics overworking itself to distribute the power throughout the aircraft

Usually when flying, some pilots see that the aircraft is under power, so what they do is apply more throttle. That's where the ESC will start to burn and overheat. Now i'm not saying that this happen all the time, but once in a while I do see this scenario happen.

I also hope this answer you as well jbryan80.
- Nancy
Nancy BH CSR is offline Find More Posts by Nancy BH CSR
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
Customer Support
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaminguru View Post
Thanks for the quick response Nancy! I am going to place my Genesis Power order in just a moment. I am sorry that my question may have caused issues, but again I really do appreciate you and all you do. I have not opened my shipment yet as I am stuck in Hawaii and my B-25 is in Louisiana. I am SO looking forward to building this beautiful B-25. I have read this ENTIRE thread and have some worry. But, I know that if I have issues, I can reach you or the other CSR's here and that is comforting to know. Thanks again!

BTW, THANKS ALSO to everyone here on the thread. I am new to the ARF arena. All of my models are RTF and I am trying something a bit more involved. I don't know much about batteries but have learned ALOT from the wealth of knowledge here on RCGROUPS.com. Keep the good info coming. There are many of us "newbies" out here reading and trying to absorb what you folks are putting out.
Good afternoon Gaminguru. Glad that I can be of an assistance. If you do have questions in regards to aircraft or even the battery itself, you can simply go on here or on other threads as there are many experienced pilots here who would also be more than happy to answer your questions, myself included.
- Nancy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:01 PM
Customer Support
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
Hello,

1) What happened to your phone numbers? I have been trying to call sales and nothing.

2) I am trying to place an order for SKU: JT1955-05-ARF, the web site indicated is "In Stock" it has the "Buy Now" enabled, but the drop down indicates the Swiss (and all the rest) all sold out. What is the real status of this plane?

Thank you,

CB
Good afternoon crazybear.

You can reach our Customer Service Center via phone at (626) 373 - 2288.
Our hours of operations are from Mondays - Fridays 9:00am - 6:00pm PST and is closed between the hour(s) of 1:00pm - 2:00pm PST.

In regards to SKU# JT1955-05-ARF, unfortunately, this aircraft is currently unavailable to us with no EDA from the manufacturer. With you being interested in the F-5E, may I also interest you in the SKU# JT2287-04-ARF-red, 4 CH Freewing Red Stinger RC EDF Sport Jet?

- Nancy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy BH CSR View Post
......With higher C ratings, it doesn't hurt much, but it is just a precaution....- Nancy
Nancy, may I ask, Higher C Ratings are a precaution against what?
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:09 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,915 Posts
Quote:
Good morning StarHopper44.
In regards to the C-Ratings, what it is is basically telling you the discharge rate of the battery. This tells you how fast a battery can be discharged safely. With higher C ratings, it doesn't hurt much, but it is just a precaution. Now if you go too low with the C ratings, you will either damaged the battery and possibly the ESC. Reason being is that the discharge rate is way to low thus, not releasing enough juice. ESC needs a certain amount of juice to pump the power throughout the aircraft giving it a good flight.

Not enough juice --> under power --> electronics overworking itself to distribute the power throughout the aircraft

Usually when flying, some pilots see that the aircraft is under power, so what they do is apply more throttle. That's where the ESC will start to burn and overheat. Now i'm not saying that this happen all the time, but once in a while I do see this scenario happen.

- Nancy
And a very Good Morning to YOU, Nancy!!!
I know what C-Ratings are....but after only a couple sentences you changed your discussion to LOW C-Ratings, & that isn't what was being asked about. The question begs itself, using your words -- "With higher C ratings, it doesn't hurt much, but it is just a precaution. "
What "hurts", even if only a little; and it's a "precaution" .... against what?

Please understand - batteries don't 'push' their charge onto or into an electrical circuit....they merely supply (IF capable) what's demanded by the circuit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:15 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
Nancy, may I ask, Higher C Ratings are a precaution against what?
As I Said...It must be a precaution against the EARTH falling off it's axis....

Nancy Is useing all her smoke & mirrors to stop that from happening.

Raa-Raa- Shish-cume-baa...And All That Rott
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Jul 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
To someone familiar with Ohm's law, it still doesn't make sense. If the current isn't available to be drawn, the voltage drops, and the motor either slows down or doesn't speed up more. If the ESC is too small for the current drawn by the motor, that is what burns up the ESC. A battery still cannot push current into an ESC or motor.
jbryan80 is offline Find More Posts by jbryan80
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:55 AM
Warbird Fanatic
United States, PA, Coraopolis
Joined Jun 2012
272 Posts
Curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan80 View Post
To someone familiar with Ohm's law, it still doesn't make sense. If the current isn't available to be drawn, the voltage drops, and the motor either slows down or doesn't speed up more. If the ESC is too small for the current drawn by the motor, that is what burns up the ESC. A battery still cannot push current into an ESC or motor.
I have been following this, and am curious about something. I'm no electrical engineer. But if the "C" rating does not come into play unless it is initiated by the draw from the motor/esc/whatever, then why are we cautioned to use a low "C" rated battery in our TX's? Is it in case of a fault/short that would cause the magic smoke, or something else? I know the TX doesn't need the higher "C" rating, and I assume if working correctly would not draw the higher wattage, so why do tx packs come at 1 or 2 C's? Just curious.
jchtr3a is offline Find More Posts by jchtr3a
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchtr3a View Post
I have been following this, and am curious about something. I'm no electrical engineer. But if the "C" rating does not come into play unless it is initiated by the draw from the motor/esc/whatever, then why are we cautioned to use a low "C" rated battery in our TX's? Is it in case of a fault/short that would cause the magic smoke, or something else? I know the TX doesn't need the higher "C" rating, and I assume if working correctly would not draw the higher wattage, so why do tx packs come at 1 or 2 C's? Just curious.
You can use whatever C rating you want in your TX. Higher C rated packs are generally heavier, larger and more expensive than their same Mah, lower C rated counterparts, so there is no reason in having a high C rated pack for TX use, but you certainly won't have any issues if you have one that fits and want to use it. A short is a short and can cause damage no matter what the C rating if it occurs. Its the voltage that burns things up, and that is the same regardless of C rating.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:26 PM
Warbird Fanatic
United States, PA, Coraopolis
Joined Jun 2012
272 Posts
C Rating

Thanks, that makes sense and cures my curiosity.
jchtr3a is offline Find More Posts by jchtr3a
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:20 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,915 Posts
Nope - it's the amperage that 'burns' things up.
Voltage is Electromotive Force (EMF); it supplies the potential for current flow. Amperage is the rate of the current flow; restricted only by circuit resistance and battery capacity.

AFA the radio Tx question - you use low-current simply becuz the radio with its low current demands doesn't need high discharge. It's economics, not performance issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:01 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Nope - it's the amperage that 'burns' things up.
Correct, and let me clarify the point I was making with my post above about voltage, although not stated very elegant. We see these post all the time where people think using a higher C rated pack or higher Mah pack than what they have will somehow cause damage.

My point was that those things will not cause damage, but using a higher voltage battery than what the device is designed for will.

Thanks for the clarification.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Feb 22, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:08 AM
Colombia, Bogota
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Good day, Im Andres from Colombia, south America. I just bougth from you the 12 CH BlitzRCWorks Super Hornet FA -18 Fighter RC EDF Jet ARF

Can you please tell me which is the best battery for this airplane, for good flight time and aircraft power? do you have a recomended brand? ans a serious seller?

Thank you very much. Big hug from Colombia!!
ANCOGI is offline Find More Posts by ANCOGI